iPhone 5C: guess the price!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retired Cat, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

The launch of the plastic, multi-color iPhone 5C is still a few months away, but what do you think the price will be? Will the 5C track the prices of the outgoing 4/4S, or will Android competitors force prices down?

My guess is:
    iPhone 5C 16GB - $399, $0 on contract
    iPhone 5C 32GB - $499, $99 on contract

iPhone 5S takes the place of iPhone 5 at the $649+ levels, but starts at 32GB

2. iDominic macrumors member

iDominic

16 GB - $199 - Free on contract
    I don't think there will be any other capacities.

3. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

If they're not complete fools, it'll be free on contract for 16GB and maybe a 32GB option for $99. Off contract, $349 and $449.

This is their chance to steal away the low cost market. If they go with elitist prices then there's no point.

4. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

iPhone 5C 8GB - $199, $0 on contract
    iPhone 5C 16GB - $299, $99 on contract

iPhone 5S 32GB - $499, $199 on contract
    iPhone 5S 64GB - $599, $299 on contract
    iPhone 5S 128GB - $699, $399 on contract

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    I think tons of people will go for the opportunity to get a new iphone for free on contract.
    Its easily better than any other free phone out there.
    And rumored to have a 4 inch screen and most basic features the current iphone 5 has its a no brainer. It will flood the market.

6. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Right! Making a free iPhone would be very smart for Apple at this point. I know that you can get the 4 for free, but who really wants a 2 year old phone? This would be great for parents with kids who want an iPhone but don't want to spend $200 or older people who just want a nice phone for texting and calling. I think a lot of people who get tricked into buying an Android by AT&T and Verizon employees will see the free iPhone and shut the employee down.

The only thing that worries me is how much they'll be able to keep exclusive to the 5S that the 5C won't just overtake that. I think the fingerprint scanner will definitely be a 5S exclusive. Obviously the body will be cheaper plastic. Excluding Siri could be a possibility but that would be kind of silly when someone could just download Google Now. I suppose keeping the camera 8MP for the 5C and 13MP for the 5S is something else.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I think the 5S will have more features than the cheaper iphone model but the 5C wont be that much behind.
    Even though the back will be made out of plastic I don't think that's such a downgrade.
    Most androids and current smartphones out there are plastic so not that bad.

8. lexvo macrumors 65816

I think it will be more expensive than some people think (read: hope).

9. sebastian... macrumors regular

Can you make appointments/events into calendar and set reminders with Google now app on iphone ?
    Because I think that's the most useful functions of siri. At least for me and my friends.
    And also setting alarms and timers.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

$0... because it won't exist.

11. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I think it's hysterical that people can't step away from talking about its contract price. What if Apple does something so different that all these assumptions about selling in a world of contracts simply doesn't apply?

Imagine they decide to sell this phone only off-contract.

All these discussions assume a product that is virtually if not totally functionally the same as the existing phone, which simply will not happen. Lesser materials, lesser quality camera, slower chips still do the exact same things functionally speaking, and Apple won't do that for one reason - people will opt for the cheaper version and there would be no real reason to buy the more expensive one (fingerprint sensor, really?).

Guessing prices of a phone that we have no clue as to what the feature set will be seems a bit like putting the cart before the horse, no?

12. madsci954 macrumors 68030

13. lazard macrumors 65816

16 gb - $0 on contract $399
    32 gb - $99 on contract $499

14. Menel, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Close. Adjusted your off contract pricing. Base 4/4S/5 has for years been $650, don't expect that to change.

Also not going to make any model of iPhone cheaper than iPod Touch.

I'd lay my cards down on this. Base premiere iPhone has been 16GB for very long, and while it's good enough for the large majority of users the camera sensor and photos only continue to get larger.

Time for 5S to up it. But I'm hesitant. Only a special edition iPad has 128GB memory, and I imagine small volumes. I wouldn't expect them to move that to IPhone. So either 128GB won't exist... but that leaves them without 3 versions of the 5S... atypical. Or it means they will continue the 16-32-64 sizes.

I can't decide, can see them going either way.

----------

Would kill them.

$90 ATT/Verizon monthly + $650 phone
    or
    $90 ATT/Verizon contract + $199.

The way US pricing is for the two main carriers, if you don't get subsidized pricing, you're getting bent over.

15. tann macrumors 68000

I think this could very well be spot on. Though I think 8gb is far too small for a phone. Even the 4S doesn't have an 8gb model.

I do think the 5S will be 32/64/128 though.

Also the off contract prices I think are way off. Doubt the 5C would be less than $400. 5S will start at 5 prices off contract.

16. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

You're not understanding what I'm saying - everyone just keeps assuming that this will be an iPhone, just cheaper (same basic functionality, just cheaper). It won't be. Apple doesn't make the same product only cheaper, look at the iPod lineup, or the Mac lineup - each product is radically different from the other members of the family. Why would they change this with the iPhone family, because they all of a sudden started misunderstanding product positioning?

Apple is excellent at product strategy, and what I'm saying is that this phone I think will surprise people, and we may just find that, for example, it's a data-only SIM phone that will utilise cloud services, and that any such traditional cellular contract won't apply to this product. Imagine this phone is the device that starts to break up this choke hold the telcos have over phones and the entire industry in the US, now that would be quite interesting, no?

The market in the US is so different from other countries, all these assumptions simply don't apply outside the US (this contract hubble-bubble, diddle-faddle nonsense). Imagine it's nothing at all do with that. Doesn't that seem more like Apple than launching a "me too" product (even though the original is their own) into a lower-priced market segment? I think we're all going to be in for a fun surprise if this phone is real. Can't wait to see.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Look at the iPad Mini.

You are thinking too much.

18. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

8GB - $299 / $49 2 year contract or down payment.
    16GB - $399 / $99 2 year contract or down payment.

19. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Predicting that in North America it will not be available on contract and we'll have to purchase the unlocked version.

20. maxosx macrumors 68020

The Price? Oh heck that's easy.

84 Billion... Oh wait!

That's how much Apple has parked in offshore tax shelters :)

21. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

$450 off contract. Same price they're selling the iPhone 4 off contract for.

22. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I think 0 and 99 will be the contract prices here in the US, but I think the aim is more for the off contract pricing. Since a lot of other countries dont subsidize their phones, the full price needs to be paid to get one. And since a lot of people take the opportunity to buy these off contract phones here in the US when they visit, you can only imagine the markup of the device in their home countries. Apple has a real opportunity to increase both national and international sales with the introduction of a low cost off-contract iphone. But the price is key. I want to say maybe in the $250 to $350 range but depending on the device hardware itself (such as if it will get the same retina screen as the iPhone 5 or just get a low-cost screen of the same size)

23. cynics macrumors G4

Uhm, that's not the same product. An iPad mini isn't a dumb down version of the iPad, its a smaller tablet for the market of people that want a smaller tablet.

What he said is true.

Apple will start with a premium product and then upgrade it and continue to sell the older one.

Example, an iPad 2 isn't a cheap iPad with retina. When the iPad 2 was released it was the best Apple had to offer, now they just continue to sell it. Same with the iPhones, etc. Apple didn't release the iPad with retina then the iPad 2 at the same time to have a cheap version.

24. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

The iPad mini - you mean the 7" iPad? I'm familiar with that one, I bought one day one because I wanted the smaller size (I'd had a gen 1 iPad and wasn't going to buy another full sized one, I would have opted for a competitor's 7" tablet instead if Apple hadn't launched the mini, not for price but because of size only).

Unless you can differentiate the products to such an extent that consumers want something (important and significant) that is only available in the premium model (with the iPad full sized it's screen real estate and retina currently, tomorrow who knows, that's a big challenge for Apple), and are willing to forego said feature in the less expensive model, don't produce a new product unless you want to kill the more expensive model.

Fingerprint scanner, better materials, latest chips, better camera - these are not things most people would willingly pay for, but they are things people would be willing to forego to save some money (which won't likely be chump change), and that means the premium iPhone's days could be limited in that scenario.

Perhaps I do think about this too much, but it's pretty safe to assume that people at Apple think about it a whole lot more and I seriously doubt Apple would ever end up concluding the same things as someone who thinks about this less than I do.

25. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I guess I didn't think of that, I'm not really sure because I've never used it.