Iphone 5c: How much worse is the camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StevesJob, Oct 10, 2013.

1. StevesJob macrumors newbie

I'm currently using an iPhone 4 and wanted to upgrade to the 5s. But since it seems to be taking forever to get one, I now am thinking about getting a 5c for now and selling it next year to get an iphone 6.

I think i can live without a fingerprint sensor although it would sure be nice to have one. And I also don't really need the better processor of the iphone 5s. I actually think it probably makes sense to wait for the 6 here, since with more ram etc. it will be able to make better use of the 64bit.

But what makes me hesitate to get the 5c is the camera. I'm not a professional photographer but i do use the iphone camera quite a lot since i don't have any other camera. With my iPhone 4 I made about 3,000 photos altogether. So my question is: How big is the difference between the 5c camera and the 5s camera? Is it really noticable for non-professionals? Is it true that the 5s makes much better pictures in low light?

I can get the 5c 16gb (2 days used) for 500 Euros right now and hopefully resell it for 400 Euros in a year (don't know if that is realistic or not) or wait for the 5s 32gb for another 3 weeks and get it for 770 Euros. What would you do?

2. mcrto macrumors member

I don't think you'll notice at all. Just my opinion. I'm sure somebody could manage to get a better shot on the 5c than the 5s. Put it that way.

3. Altis macrumors 68020

If you know someone with a 5, try out theirs and see if you think it'll do.

It's really difficult to tell online because there's so many ways to edit photos.

4. boobie12 macrumors 6502

I think the biggest difference is in low light situations.

5. JGWolven macrumors regular

I would wait, honestly. I was kind of in the same situation. If I got the 5c, there'd always been some kind of semblance of regret for not holding out just a bit longer. If you wait, you know you'll have a top of the line device for a year, whereas if you had a 5c, you'll know it's slightly subpar compared (at least in terms to what you could have had if you just waited) for the remainder of the year.. you'll be happy with the 5s, no regrets either. ;)

PS. I wasn't sold on the finger print either, upgraded from a 4s.. but it's amazing. It's not gimmicky at all, and it actually unlocks the phone quicker then the button press - lock slide movement. Purchasing anything with it is also a dream as well.

6. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Let's be honest for a second... The iPhone 6 will be out in a mere 11 months. The 5c is available at hand right now. The camera is honestly not that big a difference until you are in low light situations ...

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

With that mentality, why go for the 6 when the 6S will be out in a short 23 months!

With technology, there's always something better on the horizon, but, at some point, it makes more sense to jump in and actually have something to use than to keep waiting for what might be.

----------

Yes, the 5S takes better pictures (especially in low light conditions), but realize that they BOTH take much, much better pictures than the 4 you've been using.

8. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Yes! I understand that and I don't disagree with you, but with the 5s if the finger print sensor doesn't interest you and you just need a good camera ... Then there's no sense in getting it. The 64 bit chip is going to be utilized fully yet. There's still Apps that's not optimized for iPhone 5. I completely understand what you are saying, but to me it seems as though the OP will completely satisfied with the 5C for a year

9. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

If I'm not mistaken it should be the same-ish as iPhone 5's camera which is spectacular in well-lit environments, not so hot in low light.

10. Nated macrumors newbie

Having gone from a 4 to a 5c, the camera upgrade will be incredible

the subpar low light pictures are about as good as the best iphone 4 pictures

11. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

From 4s to 5c, the camera upgrade is substantial. Even when I upgraded from 4s to 5 last year. It's quite relative IMO. If it weren't for the 5s, the 5c's camera would be considered good anyway.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OP without knowing your financials I would definitely go to the 5s. Typically it's camera improvements that make me upgrade to new phones and the jump from the 5 to 5s is noticeable and substantial. But as another poster mentioned, you will be amazed going from a 4 to a 5.

But if there's any way you can make it happen get the 5s. I'll look for the link after I post this but there are a couple of threads on the camera and in one I posted a side-by-side comparison of 5 vs. 5s. Others have done the same. Mine was a flash but others are low-light.