iPhone 5c Price Drop Already

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Robster3, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Robster3 macrumors 68000

2. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

3. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Whoops should be $739. Big drop though $140 in 2 weeks. Bit annoying if you took one on a 2 year plan as they are only $7 a month less than the 5S here.

4. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

First of all the phone is selling. It's the 2nd best selling phone in the USA. The price drop may be because Apple mass produced them...

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Who said that? The only data I have heard is the 9 mil from both 5S+5C sales.

6. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

... because no one wants the iPhone 5"cheap". Given the choice only between iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5c (and cannot chose iPhone 5s), I would choose the OLD iPhone 5.

Co-workers at the office all agreed that the "c" is for teenie boopers, kids, etc. Didn't make sense to buy it when the 5s was only $100 more.

:p

7. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Just wait until holidays season (end nov - end december) and I bet 5C will sell like hot cakes.

Everyone is used to the fact that Apple discontinues previous years model, this is the first time Apple has re-introduced a iPhone model WITH enhancement (please don't say the 5C is simply/entirely a 5 re-wraped as that is not the case).

As another member has listed:
    5C has:
    - Better facetime camera
    - Better batterylife
    - More Network compatibility than the iPhone 5 ever did
    - More color choices

To most of us who have been buying iPhone's for years, the 5C is not entirely a new device as we know everything about it, however it is not the same for those coming from Android, Windows and iPhone 4 phones.

It will definitely take probably another month or so for it to sync in with people that the 5C is a NEW device at the end of the day and soon people will build the momentum for it where they are waiting for that Colorful device to be updated every year much like those of us that are deep into Apple's ecosystem already.

I got the Silver 5S and White 5C - I for one am very impressed with the feel of the 5C to the point that I wish it came in 64GB with the upgraded rear camera and touch ID. It might take some people an hour or two for it to kick in as to how solid and comfortable it feels. The weight is just right and the curved back just fits into your hands much more comfortably than the 5/5S.

8. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

This never happens for a Apple phone after 2 weeks from release. Samsung phones yes.

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This is a very good post. One I can agree on. Peoe have not given the phone enough time to catch on and once it does I do believe it will sell better the. It already has.

10. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Do note that Apple's Price difference for Australia is $50+ (when USD is converted to AUD at todays rate). So dropping in price at other vendors at $100 isn't that much of a hit I'm sure Apple gives discounts to big time resellers (Carriers included)

11. KPOM macrumors G5

No, but it isn't entirely unprecedented. Apple tried to sell the original iPhone here for $599 with a special data plan from AT&T. Two months later they dropped it to $399, and then with the iPhone 3G they switched to the traditional $199 + subsidy model. Also, in February 2013 they dropped the price of the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display considerably, even though it was released just in October 2012.

Apple probably overestimated demand for the iPhone 5c relative to what the 4s did last year or what the 5 might have done had it been the "mid-range" phone. "New" model or not, the 5c isn't as attractive an option for many people as the 5s. Hopefully they'll get the pricing right without too much of an impact on their margins (I'm a shareholder).

12. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I read an Article from AppleInsider.com that said it was behind the 5s only in sales. Every carrier in the us except Verizon and Verizon it's # 3.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

That was September, and it likely includes a lot of sales to carriers that may not have been sold through to end-users. October will be the key. If it's still #2 then it is selling decently. If it drops to #4 or below, it means that the initial September sales took a long time to sell through to end users.

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I've heard iPhone 5c sales are off the chart and are outselling all Android phones combined by a factor of around 5 to 1. So yeah, Apple really under huge pressure to cut the price.

15. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hey don't kill the messenger, i got nothing against the phone havn't even tried one. But a $140 drop in 2 weeks never happens here, maybe after 6 months you might get a $50 discount online but $140 is 20%.
    There's something wrong?

For the difference between the 5s and 5c i reckon $599 is where they should of started. Heck $739 is only $60 less than the 5 was.

16. Lammercy macrumors regular

Well that's your choice so please speak for yourself. I'm not a teenie bopper either, I looked at the 5c and 5s and decided that I wanted the C. What's the reasoning behind the daily attempts to discredit the 5c and demean anyone/everyone who bought one? Your comments remind me of the people who get the iPhones year after year just show people that they have one.

17. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Actually, I am one of those people who "buy the higher end model because it costs more therefore it must be better". :p

18. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I don't doubt that the 5c is selling well. I have yet to see one in the wild though.

19. aneftp macrumors 68040

Got a good laugh when you wrote "traditional $199 plus subsidy model" with the iPhone 3G. The $199 price wasn't traditional by any meals. It was a HUGE drop in "traditional" smartphone prices especially in the USA subsidy model. All of us techies all remember in the not too far past that "high end smartphones routinely sold for $349-399 on a 2 year contract. That including Treos and Blackberry.

Apple shocked the USA world by introducing the $199 contract pricing. That's why the current $199 pricing took off with the iphone 3G. Apple did their analysis and knew Americans had a hard time buying something over "2" as in 2 hundred. $199 sounded good for a smartphone.

Yes $499/599 full price for iPhone 2007 was a little too steep for most Americans. But sales took off at $399 pricing. Sales exploded with the $199 contract pricing model.

Notice other phones including Blackberries and Androids all had to set their pricing at the $199 contract pricing or lower. Verizon had quietly tried to "lower" their subsidy the past couple of years by trying to introduce the $299 higher end Android devices. But $299 is a tough sell for Americans on contract.

Getting to the Macbooks. Yes some of them are overpriced, especially the Macbook Pro (in my opinion). But the Macbook Air represents a lot of value at the ultrabook market. Apple has lower the price a lot. It's caused headaches for its competitors. Look at Sony. Their newer Vaio Pros were not selling well with the new generation Haswell chips cause they were most expensive them Macbook Airs. Sony did have higher resolution screen. But Sony was forced to drop the price dramatically by $400 to compete with the Macbook Air (current generation).

20. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

The reason for the price cut is not Apple. They are getting their full amount. The stores are putting on a fire sale using the 5C as a loss leader. They are giving up profits in order to gain foot traffic.

21. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

From reading the 5c thread the 5c owners don't like anyone raining on their parade. I wasn't looking for a bag the 5c v 5s opinions more about why the price is dropping so quickly.

Personally here in Australia for only $140 more i got the 5s and especially on the 2 year contract for only $7 a month more.

But if the 5c had of been $599 i may of bought outright but not at $739.

22. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Interesting. Makes you want to return the 5C and wait for the price drop. It was over-priced, imo.

23. Fogtripper macrumors member

I view the 5Cs like I did the tie-dye iMacs. Too much focus on making the outward appearance stand out, and the marketing blitz for it reinforces that opinion.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

25. paulcdb macrumors regular

I don't expect the 5C to do that well compared to the 5S yet since most people have been waiting for the 5S and so thats where i think the bulk of the sales are right now.

However the 5C will no doubt sell, but it won't be in huge numbers in a short space of time like the 5S, they'll be steady throughout since those no doubt go to those who's contracts ending and just wanting different phone and the colours will no doubt appeal to them.