iPhone 5c running warm

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pedregosa, Oct 2, 2013.

1. pedregosa macrumors member

Got a 5c yesterday after a year with Android. Feels good to be back.

Love the phone, but one concern -- it runs warmer than any other phone I've used (iPhones included). Especially during downloads, and when using maps. Not to the point where one can't hold it comfortably, but very noticeable nonetheless.

Is this normal, or does it sound as though the unit is defective?

2. svenmany macrumors newbie

me too

I just bought my daughter a 5c yesterday. As you noticed pedregosa her phone seems unusually warm. It was downright hot when charging and restoring from backup. Even just at idle it seems warm.

Since heat is energy and only the battery is supplying that it seems that the battery should drain more quickly because of this.

I also wonder if I received a defective unit. Have you learned anything since your 10/2 post?

3. dlondon macrumors regular

When I had the iPhone 5S, it ran hot for the first day or so but I guess it was doing lots of things in the background as well as transferring all my files. Was fine (heat wise) after that.

4. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Wonder if it has to do with how the plastic back transfers heat?

Might be a different "feel" than the 4/4s/5/5s body.

5. mcrto macrumors member

No heat or warmth whatsoever, seem to remember it being warm on first day I used it though. Year with android? Shudder... Only kidding, I had the HTC one before went back to the 5, and then on to 5c. Loved the HTC one but as soon as I've played with Roms and home launchers and the novelty of widgets has worn off I start to inexplicably pine for ios!

6. Valkyre macrumors 6502

I have the exact opposite experience... the iphone 5c is by far the coolest iphone I ever had (I went through 3gs, 4, 4s and 5 and they all run much hotter than 5c)

In fact I was playing infinity blade III and the phone, while it was warm of coure it never went to the extreme of the iphone 4s or the 5. Maybe your phone had some stuff running in the background?

7. ajt1995 macrumors 6502