iPhone 5C Vs. iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sup3rknova, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sup3rknova macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

I know its all speculation but how much of a jump will the 5c be from the 4? Rumors have said it may be equal to the 5. But does this include camera, specs, and everything else? Headed to AT&T after crappy Sprint. I may get the 5s for myself but my wife will not care either way if she gets the 5s or
    5c. I know people are guessing the C will have a free or $99 dollar option. She will just be happy to be off the 4 and off Sprint. And not need to spend another $199 (at least, X 2).

2. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

The C sounds perfect for her.

The 5C will be a nice jump from the 4. It's just like going from a 4 to a 5, which in my opinion would probably feel like a nice upgrade. It's rumored the 5C will have similar specs as the 5, including camera specs.

I think my sister is getting the 5C, she also has a 4 currently.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I'm guessing it will be the same as the 5 except for the plastic case. I have also seen speculation that they might cut out features like LTE or Siri, but that seems hard to believe.

I expect the 5S to be an incremental performance update with the fingerprint reader and the full metal enclosure.

With the 5C you will give up the metal case, and the fingerprint reader, and have the same performance as the 5C. I suspect you will be limited to 16GB also.

That is all speculation of course, since no one knows for sure except for Apple...

4. rockitdog macrumors 68020

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

So what's better? This phone which might not even be available in my country, with specs people can only guess at, or the iPhone 4?

Also can you tell me if the next President is going to be better than Obama or not?

6. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Why does everyone think the 5C won't be available in the US? I don't understand what the logic is behind that.

And yes, we are all guessing that the 5C has similar specs to the 5. Not only is it being talked about here and on several other tech sites, but it makes sense that the 5C probably wouldn't have the same power and capabilities as the 5S (if it's the "cheaper option") and the only way to manufacture the 5C and make it more cheap to manufacture is by simply taking an iPhone 5 internals and casing them in polycarbonate. It's a smart business tactic. Make something seem NEW when it's just last years phone. But it's cheaper, which people will love.

7. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Aww man... ok everyone lets PLEASE keep this to iPhones. LOL

8. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Since rumor suggests 5C pricing to fall where iPhone 4 sits right now, and leaks suggest similar innards to iPhone 5, I'm guessing it will be pretty much the same as iPhone 5, minus LTE. Since they will drop both 4 & 4S, they can't leave out Siri, and it has to do iOS 7 & better, but it's also has to be less expensive than iPhone 5 to produce, the plastic back helps (& moving antenna inside), but not the total answer. That's my ultra-short reasoning.

9. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Wouldnt it be a slight step back if the 5c has no LTE? That would be a deal breaker for some. Ooooooooooooooooor no?

10. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Yes, that would be a deal breaker for some, so, incentive to get iPhone 5 or 5S. ...Everything about the 5C is a step up from 4/4S (which both don't have LTE, BTW), just doesn't include LTE, my guess.

iPhone 5C (no LTE) 16GB 6 colors, plastic, antenna inside (lowest price)
    iPhone 5 (w/LTE) 16GB white/black aluminum/glass (middle price)
    iPhone 5S 32/64/128GB (flagship price)

11. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Why do folks think no LTE? That is completely contradictory to Apples cloud strategy. Also contradictory to their promise not to make a crap phone. We are two generations of iphones into LTE.

The 5 will be discontinued and the 5c will get is internals and a cheaper plastic case. Easy call. No one complains.

12. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I really don't think Apple is going to change up the GB options, at least not yet.

I still think 5S will have 16/32/64. Not sure about the 5 and 5C, but it seems weird to offer the 5C with only one size option, only 16GB? Just because people want a cheaper phone, doesn't mean they all will be able to deal with less storage. :confused:

13. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This makes the most sense to me. I don't understand why the iPhone 5, 4S, and 4 wouldn't be discontinued. Personally I believe if the 5C has the same internals of the 5 and they don't discontinue the 5 then I don't understand what's going to help the 5C sale. The colors? Honestly withs the black front I don't like them. If that's my choice then I'd choose the 5 and I don't like the 5 that much...

So Apple has to do something so the 5C will sale right? I mean with the plastic shell and stuff it cuts the cost of manufacturing down by almost half. That means profit margins will be better the using an old "flagship" as your entry level phone... Right? In other words they want the 5C to succeed...

I know we will all find out in a few short days. I'm just trying to make sense of it all... Keeping the 4 or 4S doesn't make sense because of screen size and 30 pin connector... Keeping the 5 makes no sense if the rumored specs of the 5C are true. So will they have just 2 phones? Lots of questions I have... In 4 days ill have answers I guess.

14. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

IMO, I think the OP should go with the 5c rather than give the 4 as a hand me down.

Or at least consider it, based on knowing more details after the 10th.

Do you plan on keeping your wifes line open for 2+ years? If so, would your wife be using the IP4 for 2 years?

In two years the IP4 is going to be seriously Obsolete IMO, that's if the phone lasts that long. I have a feeling the 5c will be more durable than the 5/4s/4, it will use the new charging port, will probably have LTE capability, and a lot of people will like the new colors etc.

So I'd have to say getting the 5c for someone who doesn't care much about what phone they use is probably a better choice in the long run.

15. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Apple never discontinues a product after only one year, adds a second year, but with only one memory configuration, and drops the price.

iPhone 5 is the first LTE iPhone, what you can buy today is iPhone 4 (no LTE), 4S (no LTE), iPhone 5 (first LTE iPhone). That would be one generation, not two. http://store.apple.com/us/iphone/family/iphone/compare

16. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

Also can you tell me if the next President is going to be better than Obama or not?[/QUOTE]

If the next president is a Republican (long shot), the answer is NO!

17. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

what about the ipad 3? Less than a year

18. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

whoops. I thought the 4S had LTE. I had the 4 and don't recall the 4S specs.
    Anyway, I don't think Apple is introducing a phone that doesn't have LTE again.

Saying Apple "never" does something is silly. Because you are only right until you are wrong. Apple "never" does anything that it hasn't done before, and then it does that thing.

But going with what you think will be the case. Are these the price points?
    5C - $450
    5 - $550
    5S - $650

Does China still not have much LTE? If the 5C is focused on China, then maybe lack of LTE is okay. It doesn't make much sense to me since I doubt the price of the LTE components is that much and we know the phone's got enough space to fit it in. Is there still a battery life advantage to going without LTE? Maybe a little silver lining if Apple goes this route.

But I'm still betting all phones will have LTE. Apple wants that iRadio to take off and LTE makes that product work better. Not to mention other cloud features like photostream.

19. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

When I traveled to India late last year, their 3G coverage was spotty to non-existant - in a prominent technology oriented city, I am not talking about the outback. There was no sign of LTE anywhere. If the emerging markets are still a couple of generations behind the Western powers in cellular network speeds, Apple can afford to release the iPhone 5C without LTE. If things do change in the next couple of years, it will be a perfect intercept for iPhone 6C or 7C with LTE.

20. CEmajr macrumors 601

The 5C will have LTE so that alone makes it a major jump over the 4.

21. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Let me rephrase that, I mean, the iPhones are used for at least 2 product cycles, (3GS & 4 for 3 cycles)...at least they have been doing that as long as they have been making iPhones.

Many iPhones are subsidized by the networks, and are more difficult to make, no wasted space inside them, tighter than the iPads. They can be more flexible with the iPads as they're not subsidized.

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have a 4S and borrowed my dad's iPhone 5 this week for a few hours to test out the AT&T signal out here. I switched to Verizon when I got the 4S.

If you want to know the main difference, it's LTE. OMG. I got download speeds faster than my cable modem (27 Mbps down on one test) where my calls dropped off the face of the Earth two years ago. Over at his place I clocked it at 35 Mbps.

This obviously depends on where you live, but it's a huge improvement. There's also the larger screen, upgraded processor, much better cameras, Siri, etc.

23. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

well, that would fit with what they've been doing, the 4 is $450, 4S $550, 5 $650/750/850, so they would keep those price points, but as you have it there.

Pandora doesn't have to have LTE, and I don't think iRadio will either...I've used both when I have 3G(4G) or LTE signal (at&t). I wouldn't use photostream unless I have wifi, as I don't have unlimited data, and that could use it up quickly, I have to watch it with all the music I play as it is.

I think the move is to the A6 processor so it can handle iOS 7 (including AirDrop, which works over bluetooth or wifi)...the only current iPhone that will do iOS 7 AirDrop is iPhone 5.