iPhone 5C - Why the hell is it so expensive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hustler1337, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I thought the iPhone 5C was supposed to appeal to a more 'mass-market' or for emerging markets, typically aimed at those who couldn't afford the standard iPhones and for Apple to gain a greater market share.

At $549 / £469 for the 16GB version, it certainly isn't cheap. In fact, you could get a Samsung Galaxy S4 at a similar price. So why would someone want to buy a plastic iPhone at an extortionate price, even though it may essentially be an iPhone 5 in a plastic housing?

Apple have certainly got their pricing wrong on this one. What was the purpose of the iPhone 5C? If anything, it's ruining their premium, high-end brand image.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Did Apple ever promise this?

I can't find a link anywhere of Apple ever stating that this was their intention.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I agree the 5C off contract pricing is laughable

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Apple didn't ever promise it, but I do think the pricing is laughable.

5. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

6. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

they're ********** mad, 599 euros for a plastic iphone - and how much does it cost them, 100, 150 euros to make? and even lifting the 5S's price even higher, they have to be mad. but then it's apple, they can do whatever they want and people will still buy their products

7. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Even the on contract pricing is laughable.. Why would I get a 5C to save $100..

The iPhone 5C is a plastic iPhone 5..

8. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Oh and the SGS4 is not a plastic phone? :rolleyes:

9. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

I got my s4 for 450€. See you next year apple

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The issue is the pricing difference between the two models.

5C base model is $99 on contract.
    5S base model is $199 on contract.

That is only a difference of $100. If you can afford the monthly cost of having an iPhone, you can afford an extra one time payment of $100 for a waaay better phone. I'm very surprised the difference is only $100. I would have expected the 5C to be $49 base model and the 5S to be $199 base model. Or, even have the 5C base model be free on contract.

$100 between "low end" and "high end" for a smartphone is nothing considering how much you pay each month to the carrier.

11. cynics macrumors G3

I'm disappointed with this for sure. If the 5S didn't impress me the 5C off contract was going to be my next phone. But not at that price.

12. muy picante macrumors member

I will buy galaxy note 3 this time and see how it works out for me. Hopefully apple will release something more reasonable next year. In worst case, if I don't like note, I will keep my 4s :D

13. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

It's just cheap to make.

Not reflected in price :rolleyes::apple:

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The 5C is still a good phone for the price. Not much difference than the current iPhone 5.
    What you guys expect to pay $350 full price?

15. Hustler1337 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I don't think Apple ever officially stated that this was their intention, but the whole idea behind creating the iPhone 5C was to release a cheaper iPhone. Consequently, the assumption would be that the intention of Apple was to aim this product at those who typically buy lower-cost phones, e.g. in emerging economies, for teenagers, students etc. The general view that seemed to be circulating was that Apple was long planning on releasing a low-cost iPhone in order to increase their market share lost to Android/Windows/Blackberry and other users.

What other plausible intention could Apple have had in releasing the iPhone 5C? Plastic certainly isn't their style.

At that price point, people with common sense are just going to buy a different device. There isn't much of a price difference between the 5C and 5C. If they can afford to buy a 5C, then they can generally afford to buy a 5S.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

"Analysts" and rumor sites claimed a cheaper iPhone. No one at Apple mentioned it, officially. No one can be pissed that a rumor didn't pan out or that Apple isn't handing over a plastic iPhone for pennies off contract.

17. Hustler1337 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Yes, it's a plastic phone, but a better looking, and not as cheap looking phone than the 5C. And, it's (arguably) a better phone than the 5C, but lets not argue that here. ;):D

18. intentional macrumors newbie

Like I said for months, Apple doesn't make cheap products.

There was no low cost.

19. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Well, Apple will find out soon enough if this pricing will take off or not. If not, apple will have to make an adjustment or take a hit. If the other markets think its doable, than Apple has another winner. It is a real stretch with this pricing

20. truelies macrumors regular

I don't think apple will sell a single 5c in foreign market if people are not stupid.

21. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Bit of a fail on Apple part on the 5C prices, they had a real opportunity to lure some new customers by producing a low price phone. They aren't going to do that with a overpriced 5C and a spec bumped 5S.

22. limesmoothie macrumors 6502

How much are iPod nanos/shuffles? They are CHEAP. They get young users using Apple products. Once Apple released the iPod Nano at about £100, they started shifting a lot of units.

Looks like Apple can't make enough margin on a low end phone yet without too many compromises. So they will never capture the teenage phone market/emerging markets until they do.

23. netkas macrumors 65816

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The internet said that, not Apple.

25. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Apple's intent was never to create a low cost device as most people thought. Their intent was to get rid of the iPhone 5 and have something that seperates itself from the 5S. I think a lot of people will get these colors after everything is said and done because it's still a solid device.