iPhone 5s 20th 2013 Birmingham Bullring - UK

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by 19callum93, Sep 12, 2013.

1. 19callum93 macrumors member

HELLO! Anyone planning on queuing up for the iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c next Thursday night!? :)

2. Swhiten93 macrumors newbie

Yes! Finally someone talking about it

First queue up for a launch for me (usually preorder but apples taken care of that for me) so not quite sure what time to get there for.. Any ideas?

3. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

4. 19callum93 thread starter macrumors member

Haha you queuing at apple bullring then mate? I queued for the iPhone 5 last year and got there half 7 on the night before the store opened in the morning and there was already about 10 people in front! By 4:30am the queue was MASSIVE! Way past the villa shop...

Considering this year apple are not doing any pre orders I expect the queue to be BIG! So get there ASAP! :)

5. Swhiten93 macrumors newbie

Yeah gonna have to mate! Are you going?

7pm the night before?! Wow, I might roll up about 9/10 ish the night before then.. If you're queuing, what time you getting there? And also, I'm guessing you have to que from outside the bullring when they lock it up for the night?? Sorry for all the questions, just want to be prepared haha! :)

6. 19callum93 thread starter macrumors member

Haha yep half 7 night before!! Loved it though, apple staff came out with pizza and Pepsi for us lol... It was a fun night to be honest.

I am queuing this year and will get there around half 6 or 7ish, queue starts from outside bullring glass doors. Make sure to bring a camping chair if u have one and a blanket/sleeping bag of some kind to be warm! (Haha sounds super geeky but it's all part of the fun!)

Plus McDonalds is open 24 hours! So if your with someone else in the queue that can save your space you can get something to eat from there or to use the toilet.

7. Swhiten93 macrumors newbie

Haha sounds good to be honest, can't refuse a bit of pizza :D yeah I'll probably go down about that time then..

It is geeky but who cares, at least I'll have people to talk to about stuff I find interesting unlike my usual social circles :p

And yeah I can imagine someone saving your space in the queue is handy! Are you going down with anyone pal? More than happy to catch a space in the queue with you if you're not gonna have anyone to save a space etc. tried convincing the girlfriend to come with but that's like a trying to get blood out of a stone ;) haha

8. 19callum93 thread starter macrumors member

Haha exactly all the apple geeks together! :D

Hopefully my girlfriend is coming down if she isn't at work on the Friday, last year I dragged her down and she just moaned she was cold all night! Aha, may have my mate tagging along too! But even so, closer to the date you can jump in the queue with me, I can get my mrs or mate to save your space. I'll keep an eye on here and I'll explain where about in the queue I am :)

9. Swhiten93 macrumors newbie

Haha yeah that's what mine keeps moaning about! I think I'm slowly swaying her to come down though with the temptation of the gold 5s.. ;)

And yeah ok mate cheers! Will probably get down there straight after work on the Thursday so around 6/7 ish. Will keep an eye on here :)

Now to try and decide whether I'm ballsy enough to go for that gold... Space grey looks tempting but I love the gold ring around the home button! Decisions decisions...

10. 19callum93 thread starter macrumors member

Haha brilliant! I already have the black/slate iPhone 5 so want a change with either the silver or gold. I really can't make my mind up! :( with the gold my problem is I can't picture ANY cases looking any good on gold! But with the silver any case will look nice and I have to have cases on my phone! Just don't no what to do. Also don't think iOS 7 matches the gold as much... Wish we could see them before we buy!

11. randystand macrumors 6502

I was going to be joining you this year for this guys but i'm now down to work the 12.5 hour night shifts on Tues, Wed & Thurs meaning i won't finish work til 7:30am Friday morning. Sometimes i ponder why i wanted to be a Nurse...

Anyway, that means i'm gonna be heading to an EE store either in West Bromwich or Perry Barr One Stop hoping to grab a 5s on my upgrade.

I will get to a launch one of these days, my last one was iPad 2 at Bull Ring.

Have fun. Gutted i won't be there. :(

12. adspank macrumors newbie

I think me and a mate will be joining you guys :D

I've not done one of these before, so I'm not sure what to expect. I was gunna bring fold up chairs, warm clothes and food/drinks for the evening. I guess if it's me and a mate, then one of us can bugger off to the toilet while the other queues?

What time are you heading down? I'm undecided, but I live about 10 minutes walk from the Bullring.. I guess around 10pm on Thursday?

Excited! :D

13. Swhiten93 macrumors newbie

Yeah I have the same problem.. Had a silver, then bought a ran over (yes ran over! :O ) slate 64gb 5 for £80 and refurbed it to new so kept that and sold the silver so think I might go gold now.. On my current slate 5 I've got the element sector 5 carbon on and it looks pretty nice. But gonna go for a change and have the gold with what I think will be the only nice case on it, the tanned leather new apple case :)

£39 though?? Come on apple.. :/

iOS 7 does look out of place in the black as I ran beta 3 for a while, doesn't tie in at all, but I'm thinking the white screen of the gold will look pretty slick with the gold ring around the now 'touch ID' sensor ;)

Won't they have display models on show for when we walk in?? Or will that lose our space in the queue?!

And Randy.. Fob work off, I'm sure the patience will understand.. :D

14. 19callum93 thread starter macrumors member

Yea sounds like a plan! That's what I done last year! See you all next Thursday night then! :D What iPhone and colour you getting mate!?

----------

No way as if it got ran over!!! ;( I really can not decide what colour to get! Either silver or gold. If I go gold I'll have to get a clear silicone case, worried its going to look horrible tho! :( aha.

The 'touch ID' looks fittttt! Haha I like the silver and gold ring!

And the queues are annoying because the way it works, apple staff come out in the morning with loads of different cards with the different iPhone, colour, and gb... They then ask you what one your having. They give you your card which then reserves the iPhone of your choice. Only then can you see the iPhones when you are inside the shop but you would have already reserved a colour/model so if you change your mind its too late :(

15. Swhiten93 macrumors newbie

Think I've made my mind up on the gold now.. Only so every bastard knows it's the 5s ;) haha
    I think a clear silicone will look pretty neat in the gold actually mate, I think I'm gonna order one off eBay just invade they don't have any tanned leather cases on Friday!

And oh, didn't realise it worked like that! Surely if we get there around 6/7 the night before though we'll be in the first 20 people and we can change our mind?? Or will we be quite far down the queue if we turn up around that time? I may buy a gold and a space grey, decide what colour I prefer then sell the unwanted one on eBay.. Pre-orders on eBay are fetching ridiculous money! Saw a gold 16gb for delivery on the 21st go for over £900!! :O

16. 19callum93 thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh gutted! :( no way of your swapping a shift with anyone?

----------

Lol Jesus! You'll definitely make some good money back then if you do that! And actually you could be right! Last year I got there at half 7 and I was 10th in the queue so we will definitely be up front! Think I'm going gold now :D already ordered the clear case from eBay!

17. randystand macrumors 6502

Looks unlikely that I will be able to change my shift. Never know til I get to work on Tuesday night but I doubt it.

18. Swhiten93 macrumors newbie

Yeah hoping to get in the first 20 at least! I finish work at 4 now as managed to get an hour and a half off early :D I live about an hour away so will prob be down for 6 :) anyone know of any cheap car parks around the bullring??

And yes mate, I think the gold is definitely the way forward.. Some videos I've seen it looks quite a deep gold which looks a bit Mr T ish but the majority of them the gold looks quite champagne-ie which is smart :)

I just hope there's no one queing for the 5c - I won't be able to hold back laughing in their face :D haha!

19. adspank macrumors newbie

I'm gunna go for 64gb "Space Grey" one, and my mates gunna get the 16gb version I think! I really like the gold one but I don't think I'll be able to pull it off :D how about you?

20. Swhiten93 macrumors newbie

I know that wasnt aimed at me, but I'm not sure what gig to go for tbh! £709 really puts me off the 64gb, should be 128 for that price! Really annoying when you can pick a 32gb SD card up for £15!

21. 19callum93 thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh it is expensive :( I'm getting 16gb gold

----------

Lmao the 5c peeps are gonna be jealous!!! Haha! :D

I never park in Birmingham town centre so I couldn't say, I'll be getting train down.

YouTube has persuaded me to get the gold one! Looks hot aha :D

22. Swhiten93 macrumors newbie

Well jel ;) haha!

Where abouts are you coming from mate?

And I know! It's like a pale gold, hopefully I'll be able to pull it off :D

23. adspank, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

adspank macrumors newbie

It was aimed at anyone :D I know what you mean, it's pricey, I was originally going to get the 32gb one but I didn't know if it would be enough.. then i got a tax rebate so my mind was set :D It's pretty annoying that memory is so cheap these days!

The gold one looks really good though :D

I think there's a car park on Part Street (it's just behind Moor Street Station, so 5-10 min walk?), I think it's £5 for 24hrs. I'll ask around my mates tomorrow and see if they know any good places to park!

Edit: On second through, I probably wouldn't leave my car there, Google Maps makes it look really, really grim.

Edit: There's another one just over the road from me on Charlotte Street which is £4.50 for 24hrs, but it's literally just a gravel area for parking. It's in a less dodgy area though! Probs a 15 min walk away from the Bullring. Parkopedia has a bit of a list of car parks and prices mate :)

24. Dave245 macrumors 601

Hey guys,

What would the changes be of getting the iPhone 5S if i queued up early launch day? i was thinking about going to the Birmingham Bullring Apple store as soon as they open. I have never been on launch day before. Failing that i may order online.

25. Swhiten93 macrumors newbie

Ahh thanks for the advice mate! Will have to have a look at them :) only a company car anyway so not too fussed ;) haha

Here's something I just found on the 5s's gold scratch-resistance... The video's down the bottom :)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/gold-iphone-5s-case-gets-attacked-by-knife-in-scratch-test-video

And Dave, first launch event for me too but judging by what others have said and the videos on YouTube of last years launch of the 5, combined with the fact that there's no pre-orders this year I'm guessing pretty slim. Like I've said above I'm getting there about 6 the evening before. If you want to be guaranteed to get one on the launch you're probably looking around 2/3 am in the morning before the launch at 8! :)