iPhone 5S/5C — Tysons Mall, VA

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by blhoward2, Sep 19, 2013.

1. blhoward2, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

blhoward2 macrumors 6502

Anyone going to Tysons? I've never actually gone to the store on launch day. What time would I need to get there? Do people usually bring coffee/food?

2. blhoward2 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Not going there this time but as a veteran of previous launches at Tysons, I can tell you -- get there EARLY. Last year we hung out in the garage for a while because the sidewalk that we normally would have used to line up was off-limits due to some construction of the entrance we'd normally use. I don't imagine that this will be a problem this time. Usually the process is that folks hang out on the sidewalk, lined up, until it's time to go into the mall.

Park in the Garage called "Terrace A." It's the one which you can get to by coming in on International Drive, then turning into the mall entrance, then making a left. Cava Mezze Grill (?) is one of the restaurants near that entrance, so you should see the sign for that place.

They won't let you into the mall until around 5:30 AM, if I recall correctly, but once in, you're golden. They give you a wristband with your number on it so that then if you have to step out of the line to use a restroom or just to walk around, you're covered. The Apple store in the past has brought out coffee, juices, bottled water and sometimes doughnuts or other edibles. No guarantee that this would happen on the 20th. Chances are that it will, though. Waiting in line is fun, really, especially if one is close enough to the Apple store so that the store's WiFi is accessible for whatever device(s) the person waiting has on hand. Chatting with others in line is fun and surprisingly, the time seems to go fairly quickly.

The store officially opens at 8:00 AM, but a little while before that is when the staff comes out and does a celebratory parade, complete with hoots and hollers, to get everybody really excited (as if we were not already!). They go back into the store and then a few minutes later....BOOM! The line's advance into the store begins........

4. blhoward2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Which entrance? How early? 4-5 AM ok for a decent shot at an AT&T 16 or 32?

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Last year for the iPhone 5, I got there around 4:00 AM, give or take a little.... I was Number 56 in line when I got my wristband. I wanted a black 64 GB iPhone 5 (AT&T) -- and by the time they got to me the store employees told me, "sorry....." I went with a black 32 GB instead. I daresay that the 16 or 32 GB will be in more plentiful supply again this year, too. I still would shoot for arriving there at around 4:00 - 4:30 AM or even earlier if you can, as one big difference between this year and last year is that there were no preorders done on the iPhone 5S. This means that a lot more people will probably choose to get in line.

The entrance: as I said, it's the one when you're on International Drive, you turn in and then are on the mall entrance road. When you come to the stop sign, turn left, and then the garage will be on your left. Probably by the time you get there a line will have already started forming so it shouldn't be too hard to see where to go! I think this is called "Terrace A," or "Parking Garage A," something like that, anyway.

6. ooglek macrumors newbie

I think I'll order online

I want a 64GB Gold and a 32GB Black on Verizon. Based on the stock numbers, I think I'm going to order online in the morning. Oi vay!

7. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I'll be there. Shooting for around 3a because of reports of shortages. I went at 8pm Thursday and there was no line.

8. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

2:55a and I've been here about 10 mins. Certainly less than 50 people so far. Not bad at all.

But cold :eek:

9. blhoward2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple Store is up and reporting 1-3 business days for all models except unlocked, which says 7-10.

10. twisdit macrumors member

Well I'm in Rockville , md and looks like I'm first and will be able to get my hands on one :)

Attached Files:

11. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

Line is building up big now at Tysons outside mall entrance. They are letting us in 5:30am. Apple store employees cameby to check the line length.

12. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Annoyingly, I think it's colder in here than it was outside :mad:

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Must be the ******* who spilled the soft-drink all over the floor earlier (and didn't clean it up), we're not getting anything besides water until afterwards.

14. ooglek macrumors newbie

How's the line?

And any word on availability of models?

15. betaboy78 macrumors regular

betaboy78

How's it going at Tysons? How many people ended up in line before opening at 8am?