iPhone 5s & 5c launch: Ottawa - Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by rocketkev, Sep 13, 2013.

1. rocketkev macrumors member

I'll most likely be at the rideau centre on the 20th. The second option is bayshore but the rideau centre is open earlier so we don't need to stand outside. It would be nice to meet up with a few macrumours members.

2. MikeNemat macrumors regular

Actually, that's not quite right. Last year at the iPhone 5 launch, Bayshore had security let people line up inside the mall in front of the apple store overnight. They also let one of the coffee shops in the mall stay open as well as bathrooms. It was awesome. Rideau kicks people out between 1-6AM and has been doing so for years. I've been rained on and had to piss in bushes more times than I can count lining up at Rideau

3. rocketkev thread starter macrumors member

Wow! I had no idea! That sounds awesome! Looks like I'll be at bayshore this year. Being outside sucks at rideau.

4. ACoD360 macrumors newbie

Last year I got to Bayshore at roughly 4 am and surprisingly the mall was open and yeah it was pretty awesome! But im trying to get there earlier this year. Do you know what time security started letting people in the mall to wait?

5. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

Hey there 613-ers, I'm new to Ottawa, and am mostly familiar with previous launch line-ups in the Toronto/GTA area.

How was the line for the iPhone 4S/5 launch at Rideau/Bayshore in the past? E.g. what time did you guys get there last time and roughly what spot did you get in line?

6. ACoD360 macrumors newbie

Last year for the iPhone 5 launch, the Bayshore store was roughly 2 weeks old so not many people knew about it. But I got there at around 3-4 AM, the doors to the mall slid open and saw people already lined up. Im pretty sure I was 40 in line. This year, you should get there a lot earlier!

7. MikeNemat macrumors regular

I got to bayshore maybe around 2-3AM last year and it was open. I assume it had been open all night. I doubt all of the doors to the mall were open; probably just those nearest to the Apple Store, so you might want to scout it out in case of bad weather on launch day so you're not wandering around aimlessly.

Jealous that you guys will be able to line up on launch day... for the first time ever I'll be out of town. I'm hoping they'll have some 32GB 5S Whites left in stock on Saturday but the lack of pre-orders is driving speculation of poor yields and scarce availability.

As for when to line up...last year at 2-3AM I was maybe 20-30th in line at Bayshore. That's been my usual time and place in line for iPads and iPhones for the past few years. The exception being the iPhone 3G launch where I was 65th in line at 7PM the night before! Keep in mind all of the cell carriers' systems (especially Rogers...) crash on iPhone launch day and activations can take like 30-60 min per customer. If you're one of the first few people in line, you might actually be in and out of the store before everything goes to ****. A few extra hours in line can translate to a few less hours spent inside the Apple Store.

8. ACoD360 macrumors newbie

If they're out of stock on Saturday, go to the carrier store and they should have some. Im going for a Gold 16GB :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

9. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

Yeah I was going to ask...what's wrong with going to a Rogers carrier store? Of course, that's what they recommended over the phone when I talked to them. I'm assuming they'll be less lines (if anything, maybe one that forms at 7/8am), and the activation process will be quicker. But then I guess they'll have less stock than an Apple Retail Store.

What do you recommend to be the quickest in/out? Ideally, I was planning for 5am in line at Rideau Apple, but if I can get to a Rogers store at 7am and get out quicker, why not do that...?

10. ACoD360 macrumors newbie

Well the fact that Apple decided to ditch 5S preorders, all lines will be longer than usual. And I just called bayshore and they said they're still not sure if they will open the mall overnight. Honestly, I would cross Rideau off your list. Getting there at 5 am will almost definitely not get you the exact color and configuration you want. Im planning to get to bayshore at midnight.

But going to the carriers store will probably be quicker and might even have phones left on Saturday, but they might not have every color and configuration even SHIPPED to them! I would recommend Bayshore.

11. htc fan macrumors 6502

I'm going try my luck and grab a 5s at 11am at rideau centre apple store...you guys know if apple sells unlocked 5s on release day? I want to get a unlocked 5s 32gb gold..:D

12. ACoD360 macrumors newbie

Last year they only allowed upgrades and new contracts.

13. htc fan macrumors 6502

I'm going call them and see what they say, otherwise Online order it is then.
    Thanks,

14. htc fan macrumors 6502

I called them and she said they will have the unlocked 5s on sale in store on Friday....so deciding on ordering at 3am online or going on friday at 11am

15. ACoD360 macrumors newbie

Bad news guys. Just called Bayshore and they told me they will NOT be letting people in the mall overnight ! :( Maybe when overnight security sees the amount of angry Apple Fanboys waiting outside, they'll let us in. But from what Bayshore Customer Service and Bayshore Security told me, were stuck outside! Ill planning to get there around 12-1AM debating whether I should stick to Bayshore or go to Rideau......

16. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

Will be heading out to the store in Rideau Centre at around 12am. Look for me in the long black coat... also going to drop by Walmart and grab a camping chair. Will be tweeting instead of posting here during the lineup. Follow me @michaelcacho for live-tweets.

17. dsi76 macrumors member

Bah, I'm probably just going to order online at 3am. However, if I wake up and miss the orders I may just go to Bayshore an hour early or so and take my chances.

So how does the lineup work? When the doors open do they ask each person (in the order of the lineup) which iPhone they want? Just want to know how quick the process is so that I can go off to work ASAP.

18. elementskins macrumors member

elementskins

Good Luck.

If it is anything like the lines here in Vancouver, showing up an hour or so before will be a wage of time.

As for how the lines work, it seems to vary from store to store, but it is not a quick process. Just because the store opens at 8am does not mean you're out by 8:15. For the 4S, I didn't get into the store until 11am, and I lined up at just after midnight.

19. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

Anyone want to bring an extra camping chair to Rideau? Just realised that the South-Keys Walmart closed at 11. Breakfast on me if you do. :) I will be in a long black coat.

20. ACoD360, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

ACoD360 macrumors newbie

Are you at Rideau yet? If so, hows the line? Aaaaand follow @ACoDThreeSixty

21. rocketkev thread starter macrumors member

I'll be leaving soon to either Bayshore or Rideau. I haven't heard what status is at bayshore. Are anyone of you guys there? And if so, how are the conditions? From the previous post, sounds like we'd be waiting outside till the mall opens.

22. htc fan macrumors 6502

Guys, How big is the line at Rideau centre now?

23. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

80ish. There were only 6 Golds. No 64s in White.

24. dsi76 macrumors member

LOL I showed up at 7:30 @Bayshore and was able to get a card. They are still giving out cards but probably close to finished.

25. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

Anyone know the lineup at Rideau now and if any 5S's still available?