iPhone 5S/5C Launch, WestQuay, Southampton, Hampshire - UK

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by benallenuk, Sep 15, 2013.

1. benallenuk macrumors newbie

Guys, I've had the new iPhone on day of release since the 3GS, its a shame that they aren't offering pre-orders on the 5S.

Not wanting to take a contract out, the Apple store in WestQuay is where I'll be on the 20th.

Who else is going?

2. benallenuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just spoken to the store. The official word is that the doors to the apple store will open at 8am, the doors to WestQuay may open at 7.00am as per the iPhone 5 release.

I think I'll go for the gold, it looks amazing!

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What were the crowds like in West Quay for the iPhone 5 release?

4. benallenuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I Pre-ordered the 5 and 4S and queued for the 4 and 3GS.

The echo said there were more than 500. Eek

5. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Where's the best place to park at that sort of time in the morning? I assume the west quay podium won't be open then?

6. benallenuk thread starter macrumors newbie

BACK
    PARKING
    CAR PARKING - 4000 SPACES
    WestQuay offers extensive car parking, with over 4,000 spaces, split between the Multi Storey and the Podium. Both car parks are safe, secure and easily accessible for all shoppers with customer collection points conveniently located in the Podium car park. Park in confidence with the added reassurance of our Park Mark Award and then shop at your own pace. You can park all day at the Multi Storey for £5.

Car Park opening hours:

Podium:
    Monday - Friday: 8am - 8pm
    Saturday: 8am - 7pm
    Sun: 10am - 5pm

Multi Storey:
    5.30am - 10pm

A dedicated drop off point for oversized vehicles is located outside of Waterstone's on Lower Shopping Level, with drop kerbs allowing excellent access into the centre.
    TARRIFF
    Podium
    2 hours £2.40
    3 hours £3.50
    4 hours £4.20
    5 hours £5.50
    6 hours £8.50
    7 hours £11.00
    7 hours + £14.00
    Entry after 5pm - £1

Multi Storey
    2 hours £2
    3 hours £3
    4 hours £4
    4 hours + £5
    Entry after 5pm £1
    CONTACT PRIVACY POLICY HOW WE USE COOKIES TERMS & CONDITIONS
    FULL SITE
    © 2013 WESTQUAY SHOPPING CENTRE

----------

I'll find somewhere to park on the road and walk up. Otherwise you'll end up getting a parking ticket.

7. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I'll probably give the multi storey a bash then, cheers.

8. charliemnn macrumors newbie

I'm coming from the Isle of Wight. Looks as if the 0615 is the first ferry...

9. jasonordeholmes macrumors newbie

If West Quay doesn't open till 7am or even 8am, where will people be queuing?

There are the doors at the front on the high street but there are also lots of other entrances, do we know if it will be a mad dash to get in the queue outside the apple store or will they be sorting out some kind of queue outside the shopping centre?

I don't want to wait outside for hours and then have to do some mad rush to get into another queue!

10. charliemnn macrumors newbie

Judging by last year and this Daily Echo article (http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9940837.Hundreds_expected_for_launch_of_iPhone_5/), the Above Bar street entrance is the only one open before 8AM and people queuing outside WestQuay will get a ticket as they enter..hopefully they'll do the same this year!

11. Jack1491 macrumors newbie

I'm coming down on Friday morning, first ever launch day so fair to say I'm excited! What time will people start queuing do you think? Not sure what time to turn up. I think Thursday evening might be overkill!

12. iSimpsons macrumors regular

It was crazy and surprising last year to see so many people camping overnight, check out this youtube video so you can have an idea on how long the queue was!

Jesus Christ, it was half the whole mall!

13. Jack1491 macrumors newbie

oh my...

that could render my plan to rock up a couple of hours early a little inadequate!

14. jasonordeholmes macrumors newbie

I'm going to get the for 5am, is this going to be too late to guarantee a phone?

15. mvp2206 macrumors regular

mvp2206

Just spotted myself in that video :)

I think i arrived at around 6am last launch, and picked up my iPhone at about 9:45 so not a massive wait. Not sure what time to arrive tomorrow tho, as all i hear is that demand will be constrained so might have to make it 5am or 5:30am. The things we do for iPhones eh? ;-)

16. jasonordeholmes macrumors newbie

Haha yes!

I'm really fretting! I've always had one on release day!

Think I might get there for 4am.... just to be on the safe side....

17. Jack1491 macrumors newbie

I'm going to be there for 4. Hopefully that'll be early enough for a good spot!

I've just tweeted West Quay and they said definitely queuing outside the Above Bar entrance and they will be monitoring the queue

18. mvp2206 macrumors regular

mvp2206

Do feel free to post on here how the queue is looking if you arrive at 4am :)

I think last time when I was queueing out the front I was level with Phones4u/Halifax, so if I am around that sort of place tomorrow to start with I will be happy. Fingers crossed we all leave with a shiny iPhone!

19. Jack1491 macrumors newbie

I will be sure to! Hopefully see you guys in the morning! And fingers crossed no rain!

20. charliemnn, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

charliemnn macrumors newbie

I just phoned the WestQuay Apple Store, explaining to them that I could only get there for 6:50 and they said that judging by previous years and stock levels "that should be fine", traditionally they have had stock throughout the day, and they also said that they weren't going to get just a handful.

Not sure if that just serves to stoke the fire or to calm some nerves but it's made me a little less nervous!

21. gavinfabl macrumors regular

gavinfabl

All stock of iPhones have been focused to the Apple stores. If you arrive at 2pm, just walk in and walk out. No queues.

22. Jack1491 macrumors newbie

Well...3.49 and I've just joined the line, about 10 people in it maybe? So if you want to be one of the first...get out of bed now! ;)

23. mvp2206 macrumors regular

mvp2206

Am aiming for 5:30 now I think, so hopefully won't be too bad.

3:49 - that's dedication ;-)

24. mvp2206 macrumors regular

mvp2206

7am and only Space Greys left! (Got the penultimate White/Silver!)

Yikes!

25. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Now that is dedication.