iPhone 5s/5c - Rockingham Mall - Salem, NH

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by DerfBWH, Sep 19, 2013.

1. DerfBWH macrumors regular

Anybody else around these parts planning on waiting in line at Rockingham Mall, Salem, NH? I'll be there pretty damn early with the girlfriend and my brother, each of us will be getting an iPhone 5s. (32GB Space Gray for myself, 16GB Space Gray for the girlfriend, 64GB Gold for my brother for those interested)

Hope to see some faces around bright and early. =) The last time I waited in line for a product launch was all the way back in 2008 with the iPhone 3G, crazy how time flies.

2. Bugdozer macrumors member

I plan on going. Trying to decide when to go. Any idea where to wait once at The Mall?

3. DerfBWH thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking probably the entrance near Ruby Tuesdays is the safest bet, though I'll be driving around to see where anybody else is, lol.

We're planning on being there for 6:00, too early/late in your opinion?

4. Bugdozer macrumors member

I have never waited in line for one I was planning going 4-5 am

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

They aren't allowing people to form a line until 5am. Right now people are parked and pretty spread out in front of Macy's. About 100 cars as of 30 min ago.

6. Ctrl2k macrumors member

100 cars already! I'll be heading down sooner than I thought. :/

7. Ctrl2k macrumors member

Must be 200 people in line outside right now. Not letting people in yet.

8. Ctrl2k macrumors member

9. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

No way. How many people did they turn away? I *almost* went there instead of ordering online at 3:00 am.

10. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I will never goto this store on launch day again. the resellers go to this store in droves. I waited for the ipad 2 here and resellers were rapant. I went to the northshore mall at 745am was out by 10am with a 64gb att.

11. ugh macrumors member

Estimating a thousand people in line. I never saw the line move an inch. They just came out shortly after 8 AM and told us "No more 5S's"

Unbelievable. They must have had 1 if any.

*edit: a police officer came and took a video of everyone shortly before they announced it, probably expecting a riot. It was like something you'd expect in Russia.

12. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Holy smokes. That's crazy. I'd gone there for some iPad and iPhone launches before and never saw anything like that. I always thought they got a decent amount of new products since there's only one other Apple store in NH but iPhone 5s stock must be exceptionally limited. Guess I dodged a bullet since I wouldn't have gotten in that line early enough to get one anyway.

13. ugh macrumors member

http://www.wmur.com/1-Arrested-As-C...iPad/-/9858568/11834688/-/8b8cjy/-/index.html

Someone in line told me they only have like 5 ipad's for all these people when that happened.

What a bunch of sociopaths. You think if you work at that store you could at least leave a sign outside knowing you nothing in stock.

14. Ctrl2k, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

Ctrl2k macrumors member

It was around 4-500. *

Later, I went back to the AT&T store there with 8 people in line (much later, around noon) and got the last iPhone 5S 64GB model. They had a short line and had them all morning. Verizon had a longer line but still had them as of noon as well.

The guy at AT&T (FWIW) told me Apple didn't restrict quantities like the carriers do (to 1 or 2). So, a few kids (resellers or reseller paid kids) got 15+ phones each as soon as they got in and cleared the place out within minutes.

I went to the Apple Store to get a case and the staff I talked to didn't refute that. (There was a line of about 40 people waiting for the 5C when I visited).

The carriers told me last year it was a similar deal. Because they restrict to one per customer and you have to activate there, their stock lasts much longer.

Apple's method of handling this was a total cluster.

Incidentally, I went to Best Buy too. They had "plenty" of Verizon 5S's (but no AT&T). A couple of the reseller rats came by in a car and tried to resell the 5s's they had to the crowd of 15 or so. There were no takers.

15. DerfBWH thread starter macrumors regular

Got to the mall at around 4:45 AM today. Police were called at around 5:30 and an officer told us that there was a "riotous incident" that lead to emergency officers being called. Saw two ambulances drive up, probably a total of 4 police cruisers. Also saw at least one woman get arrested, which the crowd cheered about when happened.

Verizon Wireless led their customers, including my girlfriend, into the mall at around 7:15. She got her iPhone promptly at 8:00 and had a choice between Silver and Gray in all sizes. She was out of the store by 8:30.

All in all, a total disaster of a launch. Around 8:10 Apple employees came out and started screaming "All out of 5s's! Plenty of 5c's!" as over half the line began to walk back to their cars. Being the persistent little prat I am, I stayed in line and immediately went to Best Buy across from the Apple Store, which I saw had absolutely no line. The salesman that helped me said that they had "plenty of new iPhones" in stock and were able to help me and my brother out no problem, though my brother had to settle for a Space Gray model instead of a gold.

At the end of the day, Apple totally botched this launch. Not enough iPhones to go around, resellers buying out too much of the inventory. Wish I had Verizon so I could have gone in with my girlfriend where the launch was seemingly handled smooth as butter. We're all happy we got our iPhones, though.