iPhone 5s/6 hypthetically capable of taking Live Photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kdawg1989, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Kdawg1989 macrumors newbie

I know i'm an old member, but I don't know rules of the forum so well so I am going to assume talking anything Jailbreak is against the rules. (my device is not jailbroken) since I hate the headache of it.

I have an regular first gen iPhone 6. I am curious if the hardware in an iPhone 5s/6 is actually capable of running Live Photos. I had never seen a live photo in action until recently thought it was a cool idea and always knew its one of the features of the 6S. So a quick google search returned information with a jailbroken device 5s/6 was indeed capable of running live photos. I am wondering if this are true live photos how are are doing it.. or somehow via software manipulation of some type.

If the iPhone 6 truly is actually hardware capable of doing live Photos I would be extremely disappointed with the knowledge Apple released such a cool feature.. but didn't offer it to the oldest top gen model at the time just to try and make an extra buck.

Thanks,
    Kdawg

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, there's a whole dedicated jailbreak section here, so certainly not against the rules at all.

As for capabilities, since Live Photos record some moments before the photo is actually taken, there's something that is essentially constantly recording and buffering when the camera app is in use, and with the SoC that is part of the 6s line of phones, seems like that kind of thing is supported without much of a negative effect on anything, while that doesn't seem like the case for other iPhones.

3. gim macrumors 6502

gim

Of course they're capable hardware wise. Live Photos are really just a minor software tweak.

By the way, my mother's 150€ Lumia 640 XL can take Live Photos...

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps minor software tweak in one sense, but to have the camera app always recording without any negative effects (like noticeable extra battery usage or something like that), that's not exactly so minor.