iPhone 5S activation question. (AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ksc272, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Ksc272 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry guys if this has been covered before.

I ordered the 5S through AT&T online using an eligible upgrade (199.99 16GB)

I sold it sealed and unopened to someone.

Will the number that I used to upgrade/purchase the phone be deactivated once the buyer turns on the new 5S?

How do I make sure that the old phone number and it's original phone (iPhone 5) stay connected to the ATT network?

Thank you!!!!

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes once the 5s is activated the current SIM card for that line will no longer work.

See if AT&T can activate the 5s - then go down to AT&T and get a new SIM for your current phone on that line.

I also sold an upgraded line - I had AT&T activate and then deactivate the line before I sold. They can activate it without opening the box.

3. Ksc272 thread starter macrumors newbie

What if the buyer puts his own SIM card in the phone as soon as he turns it on. Would that cause the original sim to be deactivated also?

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

5. ToroidalZeus, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013

ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You should have opened the box and activated the phone yourself.

1 of 2 things will happen.

A) It will either activate and disable your current sim card.
    B) it will ask for your last 4 digits of your SSN# and then activate and disable your sim.

If you try poping in a different sim card from the one that is currently inside the phone it will not activate. It has to be activated on your account before it can function.

6. techstyle, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013

techstyle macrumors member

techstyle

It should work but you still need to call it in and activate the line and other issues may arise from this as well.

7. Ksc272 thread starter macrumors newbie

I currently still have the phone (sealed) . So my best bet is to take it to att, activate it, then re-activate my original phone that got de-activated, then send it?

8. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yes that's the easiest way to handle it. Activate phone (or take phone to corp att phone to activate).

Than send off the phone to buyer.

Just a tidbit. My cousin didn't activate her iPhone 5 last year. It was sealed. She just left it unopened and after 30 days ATT activated phone automated and it deactivated her sim that was in her 4S.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Nope. They both would be active. Just go to att and request a new sim

11. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

No. Just turn on / activate the current phone, then remove the new activated sim and insert it into your old phone.

AT&T doesn't reactivated old sims.

12. Ksc272 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would do that but I sold it under the conditions that it would be brand new sealed in box.

I called att (probably what i could've done in the first place) and they said I can just come in to get a new sim whenever my phone stops working. /shrug

13. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

The only issue is Apple puts anti-theft protections on the phones when you buy them online so the mail mall can't just steal it. 50/50 chance it asks for account information when he tries to activate it. And if he removes the sim card and then tries to activate it, it may not activate... basically you are just causing a bunch of potential problems by not opening it and activating it yourself.... selling a brand new unopened iPhone is great until the buyer complains about unlock issues and you're like whoops.

14. nox5, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

nox5 macrumors 6502

If the phone is subsidized you have to open box activate it on your account remove new sim and put it in your old phone. Then you can sell the new phone without the sim in it. If new sim is wrong size you need to take it to att store and they switch it for free to correct size.