iPhone 5S Anandtech Review

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrswizzle, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review

AWESOME read. Great, in depth look at the 5S, A7 and all that's gone into this release.

And some pretty astounding performance numbers as well. Very interesting stuff about core counts and CPU frequencies towards the beginning of the review. Extremely contradictory of the current Android market.

2. SR71 macrumors 68000

It really is an incredible read. And people said this was a bad "S" update... yeah and the 4 to the 4S was a huge update... :) This is a HUGE "S" update.

3. Carlanga, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

EDIT: Didn't realize they had more pages, now we are talking :)

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I feel anandtech does the deepest reviews out of everyone though.

5. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Performance wise, proportionally the 4 - 4S was a much bigger update. 4S had around 4 or 5 times the GPU performance of the 4, while this one is only doubles it.

CPU went from single core to dual core too.....Sure in raw speed is the bigger one, but when using an actual device it won't feel much different as the 4S felt back then.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Anandtech always has fantastic reviews. They really make you more appreciative of the product.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Haha yeah I was wondering why you said it was about the casing. They do some serious testing.

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I was surprised on the cpu performance page. Even the 5 in a lot of the tests beat the S4. How the hell weren't android fans screaming that their flagship phone that came out 9 months after the 5 was still trailing it in benchmarks? Nevermind the 5S beating or coming very close to beating those intel chips....pretty crazy.

10. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I love Anandtech's ability to strattle the fanboyism line while also providing raw benchmarks and silicone nitty grittiness.

11. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

iPhone 5s is a beast. All that coming from "only" a dual core, 1.3 Ghz A7 chip.

12. jrswizzle thread starter macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I think they do a great job of simply being excited for great tech when they see it. Just because they praise Apple doesn't mean they're straddling the fanboy line.

Also, Anandtech's reviews are hardware based - and only talk about software as it related to affecting performance, effectively rendering the whole "iOS vs Android" debate moot.

He also mentions the Moto X's 4.6-4.7" display as being his personal sweet spot for display size.

----------

Just goes to show all that spec sheet nonsense is truly meaningless.

This review is about the best proof I've seen debunking the general "Android fan's" definition of innovation.

Reading about all the ins and outs (even if I have no clue half the time what it all REALLY means) is so fascinating IMO. I'm WAY more pumped to go stand in line for hours than I was earlier today :p

13. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Wow that was a deep dive into the 5S...best review I've seen by far for the advanced user.