iPhone 5s and Siri

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dquack, Sep 25, 2013.

1. dquack macrumors member

I went from the 4 to a 5s and it is great. My problem is that Siri doesn't work half of the time. I can be in my car with windows up and radio off trying to dictate a simple 5 or 6 word sentence in a text and all I get is the blue circle showing me Siri is trying to create the text. The issue is the blue circle will keep going and no text pops up. If I open Siri and try to open up an internet search I get the I am sorry I can't take any requests right now. Please try again later. What is going on? Turning Siri off and on again doesn't help. Reboot helps sometimes. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

It's simply that the Siri servers are too busy. It's presumably pretty difficult keeping up with the 9m phones, all Siri-enabled, all asking questions at the same time. It was happening to me over the weekend, but it's quietened down now...

Tiptopp

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Siri has never worked better for me. My 5S does Siri well.

4. AllStarCelica macrumors newbie

I'm on an iPhone 5 and Siri has been just brutal since I upgraded to iOS7. I get the same message about 60-70% of the time. The rest of the time, Siri is very slow to respond. I'm sure it's just the initial flood of new users being excited, but definitely hoping this changes sooner rather than later. I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I love Siri. I miss it lol

5. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Trust me Siri is marketing gimmick. Google app voice feature is way better.

6. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

Marketing gimmick? I think not.

An attempt to recover lost ground against Google/Android? Definitely.

My point being that Siri was implemented to help the iPhone comparison wise.

7. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

lol yeah okay whatever.

8. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

lol yeah okay whatever.

9. dquack thread starter macrumors member

When Siri is dictating a text message for me does that use a Siri server? I understand the server when I am doing internet searches but simple text dictation should not have this problem.

I think I may have discovered a small clue to the issue. I have my phone set to LTE and every time Siri gives me the continuous blue wheel in text dictation my LTE has 1 or 2 bars. If I turn LTE off and go 3g the issue doesn't happen. Very interesting.

10. clumsyalex macrumors newbie

I think dictation requires internet access too, as I could never get my iPad to do dictation without being connected to wifi

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

At minimum, the phone checks in with the Siri cloud for every request, to see if the servers should be performing the task, or if it can be delegated to the phone.

Sounds like there's a latency issue with Verizon's LTE in your area.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Siri giving me the same electronic finger right now as OP reported.

13. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Try google app voice feature it works way better for me :)

14. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Hahahahaha. This guy.

15. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Hahahahaha. This guy.

16. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I do agree that siri was a marketing gimmick to sell the 4S, and it worked. The 4S had nothing substantial over the 4 other than Siri, and Apple pushed that as its selling point. The presentation was flawless and we all wanted siri. Then we actually got it and realized it wasn't so great. 2 years later and it's still in beta.

But, it worked and apple still sells phones. Who can blame them?

17. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I tested Siri dictation for texting yesterday on my 5s. I was in my car, with the radio playing at a decent level and Siri was able to overcome the radio background noise and perfectly transcribe my voice into text.

VERY impressive!!!

18. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I've used Siri a few dozen times so far and it's worked flawlessly every time.

19. SR71, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

SR71 macrumors 68000

When I had my Galaxy S4 the first thing that I enabled was Google Now. After hearing all the rave reviews of it and how it was better than Siri I wanted to give it a try. I let it learn my info and habits over the course of a month. Guess what? It's not all it's cracked up to be. Yes, it is a bit faster than Siri and at times more accurate, but there were plenty of times that it was very slow and completely inaccurate when transcribing voice-to-text. And there were also a lot of things that I think it did worse than Siri did.

It's ability to predict and offer you information at the right time is good and bad. Sometimes it offered me navigation to work and helped me to avoid traffic, but it also would try to navigate me to work every time it thought I was going out. Every. Single. Time. Very annoying. Also, the card UI sucks, save for when it's displaying information at a glance. It sucks when you're trying to use it to call someone, dictate a text, etc. It was less clear than Siri's UI and it also doesn't tie into the device as much as Siri does (i.e. device settings can't be change with Google Now).

So yeah... It's not all it's cracked up to be. If you think that the voice feature in the Google Search app (which is just a watered down version of Google Now) is better than Siri, you're just being ignorant. Other than reliability, Siri is just as good, if not better than, Google Now.

EDIT: This isn't to say Siri is perfect; far from it. It just seems more refined and thought out, in my opinion.

20. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Siri has not been working for me much at all since the 5C and 5S launched.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I have had this happen on AT&T LTE. I have had this happen on Wifi (with very little latency). It is what it is. I don't rely on Siri for much.

I agree with the poster that says Google did this better. They really did. I have almost never had issues with Google. Siri has gotten better, but has a long way to go to match Google's options.

22. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

I use Siri to set alarms, reminders, enter calendar appointments, stuff like that which don't require searching the internet. Is Google able to do these tasks as well?

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Yes. Even better on the Moto X, actually. Don't even need to touch the phone to activate it (and I am thinking we will see this coming on other phones in the near future).