iphone 5s animations jerky on startup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sfditty, Sep 30, 2013.

1. sfditty macrumors regular

When I open my 5s, especially after some time of it being locked (maybe 10 minutes), the opening animations can sometimes be a little jerky. This is easiest to reproduce on my phone with the live wallpaper- if I start moving the phone orientation right after the screen goes on, there will be a freeze on the bubble animations for a fraction of a second. Like I said, this is especially likely if it's been off for more than a few minutes. Similarly, when i touch Id right into the home screen right when the screen goes on, the "zoom in" animation freezes for a fraction of a second right before the icons reach their "final" positions. I'm not sure if it's the parallax or the animation or some other process, but it's a little jarring and uncomfortable. And this does not happen on my iphone 5- that handles all the parallax and animations beautifully, all the time. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I don't know if I have a bad unit or if ios 6 is better optimized for the 5 than it is for the 5s.

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

3. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

My icons freeze and then jerk into their final resting position after exiting apps and such as well. It doesn't always happen so I'm unsure of how to recreate it. From the people I have asked, it seems to be only a 5s issue. Hoping it's resolved in 7.1.

4. richard371 macrumors 68000

This is a known issue. You can go into accessibility and turn on reduce motion or wait for a fix from apple. The new m7 chip has some serious issue. I'd rather not have it at this point.

5. Fission macrumors regular

Let's hope it's just ios7 needing some tuning. My iPhone 5 has stutter as well, and after much the a6 got hyped, refuse to believe its hardware.

6. sfditty thread starter macrumors regular

I'm starting to think that this "jerkiness" has a lot to do with the iphone recalibrating its position, and maybe even the display catching up to where it should be. That's fine, and I can understand that need, but it would be nice if it were done smoothly. And I don't know why in it's worse on the 5s than on the 5. Maybe it is the M7?

7. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

8. sfditty thread starter macrumors regular

Has this fixed the issue for you or did you read about it as a fix somewhere? That's a heavy price to pay just for an experiment...

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

Maybe but then again maybe not.

10. wxman2003 Suspended

When I use the wallpapers that came with the phone, I do not have any problem with parallax. However, if I use other parallax wallpapers found on the internet, the screen will jerk. I think it's probably because the iphone tries to resize those wallpapers to a size for parallax to work properly.

11. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

The reduce motion setting is to turn off the parallax effect. That and other graphics processing would be handled by the PowerVR GPU.

The M7, although referred to as a "motion" co-processor has nothing to do with the motion you are seeing on your display. The M7's job is to constantly collect the motion data from sensors like the gyroscope, accelerometer, compass etc.. and make it available to apps like ARGUS, Walkmeter, Run Keeper and other health and fitness apps instead of having those apps bother the CPU which uses up a lot more power.

Here is an article about it...

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/519531/what-apples-m7-motion-sensing-chip-could-do/

12. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Yes, fixed many many issues.