iPhone 5s autobrightness behaviour clarification?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vidd, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Hi, could someone clarify for me how the autobrightness should work on the 5s?

With my iPad and iPhone 4s, if I switch off autobrightness, the brightness shoots up. With the 5s, it doesn't change at all. Instead, when it is turned on the actual setting seems to creep up and down.

It also seems to be quite bright in low settings and not quite bright enough in light but I've read some people say you can calibrate it.

It definitely seems different to my other iOS devices but when I saw the scrubber creep up an down I felt a bit relieved. Is this normal for 5 and 5s?

2. DannyDrama macrumors regular

Turn auto brightness off and set brightness to your liking for the ambient light level and then switch it back on.

This calibrates the 'range' I think, as if I set it to full brightness in the dark then turn auto on, it will not dim at all. The phone remembers your setting. Very cool but a little confusing at first.

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

That not how auto brightness works.

If you have brightness set to max you might as well turn auto brightness off.

You set the minimum you want brightness to be an then when you set auto brightness to on it will go up and down that range according to the light ambiance.

4. DannyDrama macrumors regular

Unless I'm especially retarded today, that's essentially what I just said.

I did NOT say I have it at max in the dark, I said I tried it as a test, which was successful.

5. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Thanks for the advice.
    To clarify my question a bit more, is it supposed to have control over the master setting? I actually see the scrubber move up and down on the iPhone 5. On the 4s and iPad 2 it seems to do this on the background and turning it off makes the brightness go up.

On the iPhone 5, it seems to drag the setting itself i.e. the little scrubber moves up and down above the toggle for the auto setting. On the others, it never affects that bar. Is that normal?

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yes, perfectly normal.

7. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Aaaaah. Peace of mind. :eek:
    Strange that it differs so much between devices. Thanks a ton, guys.

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Maybe the ambient light sensor differs on later models?

9. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vidd

It actually probably is, but it's odd the way it manifests itself differently on the OS layer.
    But if other people have seen the same thing on the 5/5s, then that's great. :)

10. wepiii macrumors 6502a

This is not how auto brightness works since the release of ios 6.

Turn auto brightness on

Go into a dark room, move the slider to where you want it in dark environments

Go into a well lit room, move the slider to where you want it in well lit environments

Go outside, move the slider to where you want it outside in the sun.

Ios will remember your preference for brightness depending on your environment in the future. So basically, with auto brightness on, manually adjust it to your liking a few times, and the next time the ambient sensor picks up a lighting condition that you have been in before, it will move the slider to where you set it. If you don't believe me, try what I explained at the beginning of my post, open settings/brightness and move from one lighting condition to another and watch your brightness slider move back to where you set it.