iPhone 5s Availability?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BimmerNFS, Sep 16, 2013.

1. BimmerNFS macrumors newbie

What is everyone's opinion on the 5s on launch day? I am wanting to get a 5s 32g White/Silver. Any hints on how many units will be at the stores? Wondering how early I would need to get there to not walk away empty handed...

2. flynnst0ne macrumors regular

Just order online, and have it delivered. Or you can get there around 5AM, and wait for 8-9 hours.

3. applhipstr macrumors member

I want the same one you're getting white 32 s.

I called my apple store they told me that last time there was hundreds of people in line and it took him 4 hours. I think just to be safe we want to cut the line when we get there.

It's the only way to guarantee an iPhone that day.

4. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

I heard stock was low this time around due to rush to add finger print scanner. But I have no idea.

I do have a theory that I don't think many agree with but I believe the 32GB versions might sell out as fast as the 16s this time around. I don't know many people at all that are going 16 including myself and I've always gone with the smallest.

Pics, videos, apps, its all taking more space these days.

5. itjw macrumors 65816

There are people camping already and there are widespread rumors the yields on the fingerprint sensor have been "terrible" and "much lower than hoped for".

Couple that with the fact that Apple chose to not do pre-orders, and personally I'm VERY concerned there may not be many out there Friday.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I am getting a sinking feeling the ship times Friday at 12:01 will be 1-2 weeks, leaving a flood of people who "will just wait" to change their mind and rush to the stores too...

So in conclusion: no idea. We have no idea what availability will be like. No one does. Anyone that says otherwise is lying.

But if you're in AZ and going to the same place as me, just stay home, I'm sure they'll have plenty (after I get mine of course).

:D

6. applhipstr macrumors member

True statement and I'm tired of having only a couple MB's left of storage 16GB is not enough, you don't actually get a whole 16GB to begin with. It's more like 13.

7. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I am afraid that just the rumor of the 5S being short in stock will make the lines even worst in the big metro area cities.

I would never wait in line and will order early am and wait for them to deliver.

My iPhone 5 is working perfectly and I have been though so many of these introduction that is does not "hurt" like it used to.:p

8. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

For me, I don't care one way or the other. I'm phoning mine in, and if it takes one week or four weeks, I will get it eventually. I have a phone now so I'm not disparate, and will not loose sleep over it not being in my hands on day one or 30. ;)

9. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's BS. I swear mine came with like 12.6GB availability. Why are they allowed to market it as 16 when there is no possible way to have 16GB free on a 16GB phone.

10. applhipstr macrumors member

I'm sending my 5 to Gazelle. Perhaps by the time that Gazelle receives it I may have my 5s? And I will go phoneless for a whole week!

Think of that.

11. portishead macrumors 65816

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's a 16GB phone. The OS is going to take up space. I don't want Apple or anyone else catering to the lowest common denominator.

12. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Ordering online and having it shipped to my workplace. I'm gonna try as soon as I can order, but if I don't get in the first wave, that's okay. As long as I get it before October 15th, which is when my old iPhone lock in with Gazelle ends. Else I'll be without a phone for awhile. :p

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Stores will have 522.3 phones each. That is the result of a statistic elaboration based on reliable stuff.

Oh, and analysts.

They are already sold out. You had to camp out days ago...

14. Iphone5preorder, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

15. BimmerNFS thread starter macrumors newbie

I remember i got my 4s on launch day and walked right in and picked it up and walked out within 30 minutes... on the other hand i picked up an iPad 2 on launch day and waited like 3 hours in a LONG line. I live in a medium size town, so i guess its gonna be hit or miss. I have 3 back up plans assuming they dont have the 32g White... 32g black, 64g white, and 64g black. Sooo i'm hoping at least one of the 4 will be available.

16. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

The capacity is 16GB. It's not advertised as having 16GB free space with all default software installed. Literally every company with a product that has a hard drive or memory advertises the actual size of the media. Very odd thing to complain about.

17. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

So when you buy a car that they say is going to get 26MPG, but then it gets 19, you just say "well obviously weight is going to have an effect on mpg "?

Nothing else out there is marketed this way. They should put "up to 16GB". Just like your ISP says "up to 25mbps". They can't promise the speed, the gas mileage, or the space.

By the way, what you said is actually really dumb if you think about it. You would rather not KNOW how much space you are getting. I know you can estimate an idea, but you literally just told us that you would rather they mislead you instead of just telling us how much space we REALLY get. That's hilarious :).

18. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Good thing you don't have a Surface. The 32GB Surface has only 16GB of space available to the user.

Everyone else is right, the OS is going to take up space on EVERY phone. When you buy a computer with a 1TB drive, you might want to check to see how much space is available the first time you turn it on.

19. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Actually this happens to just about everyone because car companies are the ones primarily responsible for creating MPG estimates for their cars... and they do so in highly controlled labs in order to achieve the highest possible rating(s) / MPG estimates. The tests are not real world, so you never get the MPG on the sticker of the window.

20. BSben macrumors 6502a

The storage of computers has always been given this way, this is nothing that Apple have invented. The operating system always will take some storage space up. As for your completely unrelated comparison with MPG, you are aware that that figure is always based on perfect conditions, and does in fact NOT include excessive weight or speed?

21. BimmerNFS thread starter macrumors newbie

Just about everything now a days gives less than what is represented. But there is no lying being done, there are 16gb of storage then there is. you can just delete the OS if you want your full 16gb. No different than buying a car with 300HP. you dont realize the actual horsepower at the wheels might be 25-50 hp or more less than what a company states. But they measure at the crankshaft not at wheels. Just like ALL computer and phone/tablet makes states the raw storage. Nothing new its been done this way for ever really.

22. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I think the key thing isn't the OS takes it space its that phones just keeping eating up more and more of it. For me 15 or so GB would be enough but I get screwed out of so much I need to get the 32GB or start cutting into stuff I didn't want to delete.

23. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

You do realize weight has a huge impact on MPG right? 100 pounds added weight can reduce gas mileage by 2MPG.

But yes, the way they have sold hard drives and everyhing related to the electronic industry as far as space, has been sold this way. But when you are selling something with such little space, (16GB) taking 3-4 away for the OS is a LOT when comparing to how your 1 terabyte HD came with 920GB instead of 1,024.

Either way, let me just be clear. You and the other guy would rather they market it incorrectly? I just want to hear you agree that you would rather they sell you a hard drive with the incorrect info as opposed to the correct info. Because that is exactly what is going on.

24. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

Comparing fuel economy to storage space is really comparing apples to oranges...Nice try though...

A better comparison would be if you know you had a 25 gallon fuel tank but you could never fill it with more than 15 gallons of fuel...Even when it was dead empty...That would be cause for concern...

However you're argument of "not knowing how much space you're getting" is unfounded...You know how much space you're getting....it's indeed 16, 32, or 64GB. They are all there...The problem is the phone wouldn't be of very much use without the operating system.

Would you complain if you bought a computer that was advertised as having a 1TB HDD only to find out they actually installed an operating system on it :eek:

And it's taking up hard drive space :eek:

Let's come back to reality...They never advertise that YOU as a consumer will be allowed to use 16GB of space. They advertise it as a 16GB phone, which is what it is...

25. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Fair points but its still BS because obviously nobody buys an iPhone to delete the entire OS. You need the OS for it to be an iPhone. If the OS takes up 4GB, you are selling a 12GB phone. Anyways. Agree to disagree. :)