Iphone 5S battery predictions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Sep 8, 2013.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

What do people think they will say/do?

Same as iphone 5 which was 10 hr but really 6-7?

10 hour but really 10 hour this time?

12 hour but really 10 hour?

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I'm guessing it is going to be exactly the same.

3. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

4 to 4S took a hit in battery life IMO. Hope that doesnt happen.

4. rockitdog macrumors 68020

The current iPhone 5 has a 1440 mAh battery. I'm guessing the next 5S will have a slight bump to a 1600 mAh battery but don't expect much in terms of battery life. The new A7 chip will likely require more power to operate so you're probably looking at battery life that is eqal to what we have now in the iPhone 5.

5. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I experienced quite the opposite.

If anything, I felt the 4S to 5 took a bit of a battery hit, though both last long enough for me on a normal day's use.

For whatever reason, I think we see a sizable INCREASE in battery life this time around. There won't be any upgrade of the display (at least anything that would cause MORE power drain) and we've already heard accounts the SoC boost is not going to be as big as it has been in previous years.

Take the MBA as your example - Apple is focusing on battery life this iteration. The 5 already runs plenty well - I think we see a bit more power and a whole lot more battery from the 5S.

6. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Hope you are right. Altho cant see them marketing it as such especially if it is more in comparison to the 5C

7. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Why not? Yet another differentiator between the two to justify buying the more expensive device.

8. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

I expect a less power requiring a7 and a slightly bigger battery. Maybe 30 mins more average battery life

9. Damolee macrumors 6502

One of the key reasons for me to upgrade from the 5 was perhaps better battery life and camera.

5 hours using 3G ..... 8+ over WIFI right now.

Always recall the iP4 being much better when I had it, but that was an age ago, think I was on iOS 4 or something.

10. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Isnt the 5 marketed as 9 hr over 3G/LTE and 10 over wifi?

11. Lerxt macrumors member

12. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

Clearly don't use it

13. Damolee macrumors 6502

Yeah, so they say. I have never got anywhere near that.

Using 3G you can watch the battery ticking down. Would love to see 9 hr real usage, and I don't mean listening to music neither.

Seems to be the norm too judging by most on here.

14. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

The battery life would probably be the best upgrade if it lasted at least a day of use.... I'm getting 5 hours then it needs charging again.

15. Merkie macrumors 68020

The iPhone 4 definitely has better battery life than the 5. You can easily get 8 hours of usage out of the 4, the 5 only lasts 6 hours.

The 5S is rumored to have 10% larger battery, so I'd expect a 10% increase in battery life.

16. tonessssb macrumors newbie

Always recall the iP4 being much better when I had it[​IMG]

17. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Since the processor upgrade is modest hopefully it is more efficient as well.

----------

Ipad and MBs are all pretty spot on with what apple says. Iphones for some reason are not. They should just own up.

18. whitmanjg macrumors member

whitmanjg

i have the 4 and I can attest to it lasting all day, from 8am to 10pm if i use it an average amount. if i stream movies or use pandora a lot thought i sometimes have to charge it up a little before then.

dont know about the 5 but i would be very disappointed if i purchase the 5s and it has worse battery life than my 2 1/2 year old 4.

19. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Say all you want about cool new features, but the only one that will make the new phone a must have for me is much improved real-world battery life.

I love my iPhone 5, but I hate that it's dead at 3pm, and I need a rugged case, so external battery is out.

The current gen is plenty fast. Just give me true all-day battery life!

20. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Another option would be to decrease the charging time. I'd love to charge the phone from 0-80% in 15 minutes :D

21. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Third party analysis often verified the 10hour+ for the iPhone 5. Many users reports 10hours+. It all comes down to how the user configures and utilizes the iPhone. A user can get anywhere between 4 to 18 hours depending on configuration and usage pattern.

I predict the various battery and hardware upgrades all roughly balance themselves out.

But with iOS7's push for Bluetooth on all the time for iBeacons and AirDrop readily available, and more use of location services for the Today screen. Push triggers and iBeacon triggers for background tasks in apps. It's going to be an overall negative hit for battery.

22. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Battery life is a user specific issue. If you know how to manage your notification settings, it's quite easy to achieve the as advertised battery rates. Obviously if you have 20 apps pulling data and on your phone for 10 hours straight on full or auto brightness you cannot get anywhere close to that.

Back to the question. They can fit a 1600-1800 battery right now. I believe they'll put out a 1500 or 1480. No need to blow people with so much battery and have to live up to it next year with the bigger screen.

23. ElBerryKM13 macrumors regular

Show me a benchmark showing the 10 hours battery life ?
    This phone gets a maximun of 6 hours of use a day and ive had 5 different iphone 5 snce it came out and all of them have similar battery results. My iphone 4 on the other hand had almost double battery life using same apps. Heck i even talked more back then now i'm afraid the use the phone if i'm too far away from a charger i fear it will die on me.

Like others have said this phone is fast enough just give us better battery life and we will upgrade.

24. cynics macrumors G3

I think it will be advertised as having more battery life but in reality will be the same maybe even worse.

This is assuming the same form factor and same mAh battery.

25. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

So predictions now with what we know. More standby time and the M7 sounds like it should help

----------

And does anyone think if 64 bit will help batt life