iPhone 5's camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bordway, Aug 17, 2012.

1. bordway macrumors member

Has anyone heard anything about it? I'm talking about the rear facing camera, don't care much about the front facing one.

I'm sure it will be improved from the 4S, but looking at the competitor's (One X and S3) camera apps, Apple has a lot of ground to make up. Each one can take rapid fire pictures and even pushing the "Take a picture" button with out rapid fire mode on is fast, way faster than the 4S. The S3 takes pictures so fast it is incredible.

I really hope Apple combats this feature, it is slick. One by one Samsung is knocking down features of the iPhone, the S3 has the wider screen than the 5 will among others. If it weren't for podcasts, iCloud and horrible Samsung UI I would consider switching. I'm really close to doing so and hope Apple knocks the 5 out of the park.

(Sorry got off topic a little)

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I think people are wanting a better iSight camera. 8 MP is still pretty good on the main camera.

Burst mode on the S3 is a really impressive feature, but the best picture on my S3 was never as good as what I can take on my 4S.

3. bordway thread starter macrumors member

From what I've seen the S3 and the 4S cameras are pretty even IMO. I've seen some comparisons and there are certain situations that one beats out the other but overall they are about even quality wise.

Just wonder what features the i5 will showcase, hopefully something competitive.

4. Coldsnow macrumors regular

Yeah, the 4S camera is pretty impressive already.

Photo taken with 4S:

[​IMG]

5. pk7 macrumors 6502

I don't think your example photo was big enough :p

6. irDigital0l Guest

8MP is good enough, Apple doesn't have to update every year.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Megapixels aren't a measure of image quality. There is plenty that they could improve without bumping it to a retarded 10-12MP

8. irDigital0l Guest

Which is why I said 8MP is good enough.

People keep thinking that a 12MP is going to be super good and stuff. Not if apple doesn't make adjustments, open the aperture, add more camera stuff and filters.

Placing my 2 cents on a FaceTime HD camera for the iPhone 5 with the same 8MP iSight camera.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Ok, seems I misunderstood your post.

10. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Yep keep it at 8MP, but improve the sensor for better performance, less noise.

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I just want to be able to adjust the exposure manually.

12. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

The camera on the 4S is outstanding. Apple may increase the clarity and white balance.

As for the front, you don't care about it?!? It's a VGA! I want Apple to make the front camera better not the rear!

13. aleni macrumors 68020

If there is an upgrade about the megapixel in the new iphone. I wish apple would include in ips a feature to choose the megapixel when taking pics or video. Because 8mp with 1080p video wastes so much bandwith and space.

14. party macrumors member

The hardware of the camera on the 4S is good enough. Plenty of amazing photos that I am very satisfied with.

The software of the camera app really, really sucks. Just sad no improvements came with the camera app (and lots of other built-in apps by Apple, tbh). Look at Camera+.

15. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

A more rapid photo taking ability would be nice. And more options as well.

16. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Not that I don't think the 4s camera is 'good enough', I also want to see a significant bump in the camera department.

I think this could be a "killer feature" if Apple doesn't hold back.

Personally I think Apple could make a dedicated compact camera that would shut the market down, of course, I've heard that compact cameras are becoming less and less desirable these days anyways due to most using the camera they have in thier pocket already...their phone!

Isn't there rumors and or news that Apple is interested in aquiring Kodak, along with Google and Samsung? I think the camera-phone wars will heat up in the coming years.

17. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

More than anything I want is to increase aperture. Imagine that example photo with even less or ZERO noise in the sky and around the edges...

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Having used the One X and the SGS3, I can say that while "rapid fire" is nice, and being able to take pictures simultaneously with video is nice, the quality of the pics don't match the 4S in most situations. At the end of the day, I'd rather have the higher quality picture than the ability to shoot photo and video at the same time and quickly. I have very rarely wished the 4S would snap pictures faster. Don't get me wrong, faster would be welcomed, but it's not something I think is terrible.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Nails it for me. Any camera updates are welcome, but not completely necessary. If I were Apple, i'd worry about other hardware and the camera software itself.

20. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

What's that? Don't own non-apple hw...