iPhone 5s charging time observations with genuine and non-genuine lightning cable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jp700p, Sep 22, 2013.

1. jp700p, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

jp700p macrumors regular

Both scenarios the cable is plugged into power adapter that was included with the 5s.

Using non-genuine cable
    - 5s will display a warning something like, "This cable may not be compatible". When I used it with my old iPhone 5 with iOS 6, it did not display that message. It appears iOS 7 on the new iPhone 5s can identify the non-genuine cables.
    - Will still charge the phone despite the fact of displaying the warning.
    - Also, the cable will not transfer or charge when plugged into a PC USB port (or MAC USB port)

Using genuine apple cable
    - The phone charges slightly faster. For example, after 5 minutes it will charge 3% where as the non-genuine cable will be between 1-2%.

2. JeremyE macrumors regular

They're required by Apple to use specific standards. But super cheap 3rd parties probably not certified and use different voltages and that. No good for your battery in the long run.

3. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Hmm... I wasn't aware that two pieces of copper wire from different manufacturers would cause a change in voltage like you're talking about.

Care to post some proof, Sir? :rolleyes:

4. jp700p thread starter macrumors regular

Also won't transfer data when plugged into a PC. It won't even charge either.