iPhone 5s defines slow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BJonson, Sep 21, 2013.

1. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

I now know the meaning of slow when it comes to Apple iOS products. Since I got the 5s I notice how slow my iPad and old iPhones were and the iPad mini is a joke it's so slow. Everything flies on this phone and my smurf's village is now playable. All those that said iOS doesn't need a faster processor can suck it. The A7 processor needs to be in all of apples new products for now on. Can't believe I put up with the slowness for so long on the iPad. It's night and day.

2. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

Good point. I'm hoping the iPad Mini gets updated to Retina and A7 this year.

3. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Retina yes, A7 no. It will get the A6, following last years pattern. The Mini has the A5 processor while the iPad 4 has the A6. This year the iPad 5 will get the A7 and the Mini the A6. Simple as that.

4. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Not gonna happen, sorry. Probably A6/A6X and Retina but not A7X, that will only go to the full-size iPad.

5. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I totally understand your logic based on patterns, but I hope you're wrong. Is there a business and/or supply reason not to upgrade all their devices to A7?

6. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Get the customers to buy the full-size iPad which costs more, higher profit margins.

----------

Looks like you beat me to it ;)

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Finally, a phone that can handle the Smurfs.

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Money! An iPad Mini costs 349$, so don't expect the greatest components!

9. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I don't know how people are using iOS7 on iPhone 4's

10. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

Oh, that makes sense. I forgot to follow the money :eek:

11. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

maybe itll be time for apple to treat the mini like a product line in its own.

give us a high performance mini with retina and a cheaper mini without tose things.

Like the ipad four and ipad 2

12. Macalway macrumors 68000

That's good to hear ( not about the Smurfs ;) )

I use my iPad almost exclusively even though I own a Ret Macbook.

But it really needs a bit of a pick-me-up , at this point

13. Becact macrumors member

Since ios7 my ipad mini is really laggy :/. I'm in the market for an ipad 5 this year for sure.

14. Shuri macrumors 6502

That's one option, the other one is that they release two new iPad Minis; one more expansive with a Retina-Display and A7X and one with the old screen and the A6.

I'll be interested if the iPad 2 will be continued, I guess for one more year (since the iphone 4S is).

15. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

It runs perfectly and smooth on my 4S, and some people with 4 are also saying it runs fine.

To OP, the title of this makes it sound like you're saying the 5S is slow. When something defines something, it means it is something...saying the 5S defines slow is like saying the 5S is the epitome of slowness.

I think you meant to say iPhone 5S reveals how slow other products are?

16. Macalway macrumors 68000

Oh yes, and they can throw in a 256gb option, thank you please :D

17. BJonson thread starter macrumors 6502a

BJonson

It's Crysis for mobile.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't know about that. I plan to upgrade to the iPhone 6 next year and frankly I'll be expecting something faster than the A7 processor.

And given the pace of technology I don't think having the A7 in all of Apple's new products ten, twenty or more years from now is really going to be viable.

I get the excitement, but next year your phrase will be "The A[insert processor number here] processor needs to be in all of apples new products for now on." so I really don't believe you mean this.

You mean it now because the 5s is the latest and greatest but I just don't think you'll be in the same place next year.

Sorry!

19. BJonson thread starter macrumors 6502a

BJonson

We'll duh. A7 should be in iPad and iPad mini and 5c today. That's what meant. A5 is a joke and a6 is blah.

20. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if your trolling or really serious. Why can't the A6 chip play a freaking smurf's village?
    But to be honest the jump from the 5 to the 5S isn't a real significant improvement in reality. Yes, apps now load crazy fast, but overall there isn't a HUGE noticeable improvement.

21. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

iPhone 5s is the fastest phone in the world (if you'll strictly look at benchmark it is 2x faster than 5). However, in real world usage iPhone 5 is still a beast and plenty fast, so the difference between A6 in the 5 and A7 in 5s won't be a huge in terms of web browsing, opening apps etc.
    But if you have a 4s and especially lower than that it will be a huge speed increase.

22. BJonson thread starter macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Play smurfs village at level 63 and let me know how it runs. On iPad it's painful. Could use 2gb of ram as well.

23. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Web page rendering is significantly faster, actually.

24. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I get that it's their business model but I hate it that there are always a few products that lag behind in terms of specs. Every product, including the iPad and iPad mini, have different target audiences. I don't think throwing an A7 in the Mini would affect iPhone sales in any way, or vise versa. And most people don't need an iPad and an iPad mini so they should all be current on specs since the products are substitutes and not compliments. They really need to kill this model of business they are practicing.

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

thanks, will put smurfs village at the top of my must use 5S apps. lol

----------

if they went w/ that then prices would be different; would you pay an extra $100 to get an A7 instead of an A6X for example in an iPad mini?