iPhone 5S Device Only: Does it come with a sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Akonpex, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Akonpex macrumors newbie

Hey you guys, I just purchased a device only AT&T 5S, didn't bother to check the package but there was no sim card pre-installed. I'm quite confused, should it come with a sim even if I paid full price? And that metal thing to snap the sim tray out too.

Edit: Bought it in Apple Store btw.

2. horsebattery macrumors 6502

They should come with both the tray and SIM card. Did you think you had to buy them separately? If you don't see one, you should probably take it back to the store.

3. Akonpex thread starter macrumors newbie

I knew it. That Apple girl wasn't very helpful at all. I thought it's going to be inside the box itself, I'm so stupid lol.

4. horsebattery macrumors 6502

Both the SIM and tray should have already been inserted into the phone.

5. Akonpex thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol omg are you serious? But I turned on the phone and there's "No service", so there's no sim card in there right?

And I can't prop it open since I don't have that metal paper clip thing. Sorry for being a noob, it's my first apple device.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Perhaps when buying device only, Apple figures you're putting your existing SIM into the device.

Apple quit including the SIM ejector tool in the US years ago. If you need one, they're about $0.70 per box of 100 at any office products store.

[​IMG]

7. horsebattery macrumors 6502

That's because you need to activate it with your carrier.

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

The OP is talking about the ejector tool not the tray.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If it says no service, then there's a SIM card in there. It just isn't activated yet.

If there were no SIM card, it would say "No SIM," and you'd also get a pop-up alert that no SIM is installed.

Yeah, they don't include those with iPhones anymore. You have to order them separate, or use a straightened-out paper clip.

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Just go to AT&T and they will move your service to a SIM card that they should provide for free and you are good to go.

11. horsebattery macrumors 6502

That doesn't seem to be what the thread title (and post) indicates.

12. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I should come with the sim tray, but in the US at least they don't come with sim tools.

13. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

What?

Read the OP thread: Hey you guys, I just purchased a device only AT&T 5S, didn't bother to check the package but there was no sim card pre-installed. I'm quite confused, should it come with a sim even if I paid full price? And that metal thing to snap the sim tray out too.

Where does it say he is missing the SIM card tray?:rolleyes:

14. horsebattery macrumors 6502

Seems like he added that after I made my posts. :)

15. Akonpex thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys thanks for the inputs! :) So it seems it does have a sim card in there but I need to activate it in AT&T. Is there any way I can do this without going there, like make a call or something? Thanks, really appreciate your replies.

16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Seem like the forum fogot to put on his thread that he did an edit, too!

Just shows we are all human.

Enjoy your phone!

17. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

"No Service" means theres a sim in there that isn't activated. Doesn't meant theres no SIM. Pop the thing open with a paperclip, a bobby pin, a sewing needle...etc

18. horsebattery macrumors 6502

Just dial 611 on your previous ATT phone and they'll walk you through the steps.

19. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

This.

Or i did an online chat with an ATT rep. I find typing my info is much easier than speaking to a person.

20. sandylp, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

No Sim Card

I've used my iPhone 5 for a year and it doesn't have any sim card in the tray. I even used the little tool to open the tray and it was empty. This is the first iPhone that I've had that didn't use a sim card. UPDATE: Opened it again, and there WAS a sim card!