iPhone 5S Failproof Ordering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dwalls90, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I was thinking of wakingup when they go on sale online that early morning on the 20th and "ordering" online. We all know from the past, that the credit card never gets charged and the upgrade isn't used until the device is activated or at least a few days following the order.

Then I was going to try and go to a store later in the day on the 20th to see if I could walk right in and buy one. If I can't get one in store, I'd just say "screw it" and wait for the online order to arrive by the 23rd/24th.

My real question, is that can Apple/AT&T immediately detect my online order and prevent me from buying in store within a short timer period? I doubt during a time lapse of less than 12 hours, they can recognize the online order and upgrade usage before I can get into a store. Any advice or suggestions?

2. mdcosta911 macrumors member

mdcosta911

I'd be interesting in knowing this, too, as it is an approach I may take. However, I don't think they would be able to detect it (my assumption). I'll probably be going to a T-mo store, though, not Apple, to get lower pricing.

3. deeddawg, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd plan on the online order system locking your eligibility immediately.

Just because there may have been a delay in the past doesn't mean systems integration/communication hasn't improved in one or two or three years since prior launches.

What you may wish to do is order online but be prepared to cancel that order via telephone customer service if you get to the store and find they're in stock. I did something like that with the 4S two years ago.

Edit: the 5c ordering page suggests in-store pickup may be possible beginning on the 20th. There's an in-store pickup radio button on the checkout page that's currently grayed out stating available on the 20th. If available for the 5s that may be the best option to take.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I order a few cases from AT&T 2 days ago and after I finished the order I got an email 3hrs later telling me they were processing it. I ordered around 3am and got the processing email at 6am and shipped at 9am so by the time an AT&T store opens and you made the line your order is prob going to be shipped unless the store you go to is empty.

5. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I chatted w/ Apple earlier & they said that they can't guarantee that the upgrade online order can be cancelled in time (I asked them about that exact scenario).

I can see that problem if I order from Apple and try to buy in store somewhere else (like AT&T). Don't know why Apple wouldnt be able to handle that, though (but she said they cant guarantee).

6. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

This situation is just messy and truly sucks no matter how you spin it.

If there is no in-store pickup I'm going to order online anyways and go into the store and see what my options are. Gosh forbid they have any, I'll cancel the order immediately and go from there I suppose.

7. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

The problem is that when you ordered online you are probably upgrading. Apple told me today that if you do that and try to cancel at the store, they can't guarantee upgrade will be freed up.

8. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

For kicks I chatted with them again. See attached for the response.

Attached Files:

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

when i bought my wife the 5 last year to upgrade her 4, AT&T locked the upgrade right away. in fact they wouldn't let me unlock the 4 until they saw that i had ordered a replacement for it which took a few more days to arrive

10. mdcosta911 macrumors member

mdcosta911

Looks like my assumption was wrong..!

My plan is to figure out if the T-Mo store will have the 64GB 5S, if they won't I'll order online.

11. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Walmart may get some iPhones in. I doubt it will be many though, but if they do, the 24/7 Walmarts may start selling them at midnight (midnight my time which is EST). I did this for the 3rd gen iPad. Has anyone confirmed whether Walmart is getting any iPhones in?

Also even if Walmart does get them in, their selection may be limited. I know my Walmart didn't have any 64gb models or only like 1 or 2. I should let you know that I don't live in a big city though.

12. eish2306 macrumors regular

eish2306

just buy the in store one, and then when your contract one arrives switch to that one and take the shop one back to apple within 14 days

13. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Gosh this whole process is just messed up.

I'm going to try instore purchase that morning or afternoon. If that fails guess I'll just order online and go from there :mad:

14. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I read that they won't be able to sell them starting at midnight because the carriers won't be able to activate them until 8am. They won't even be in their system or something.

15. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I guess this makes sense if you want to lay out an extra $850 temporarily.

16. PDFierro macrumors 68040

How is it messed up? You are using your upgrade when you order online. It's a complicated process to get that upgrade back.

17. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Good idea.

And it's only that much if you're actually getting the 64GB variant, it's more likely $650 for most (16GB)

----------

They shouldn't charge your card and take your upgrade in a few hours before your order is even placed.

With your wireless account and credit card number, it's not like you're going to "run off" anywhere ...

18. dave420 macrumors 65816

Like others I will be ordering online as soon as they are available, and may try in store late on Friday or on Saturday morning. Last year I was able to get an iPhone 5 on Saturday morning, so I'm hoping there may be similar luck this year.
    If I can't cancel the order immediately while I am in the store then I will simply use an alternate line to upgrade.

19. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I guess I am doing it different from you. Rather than ordering online then going to the store, I am checking online for the availability of "In Store Pickup" at 12:01 PT. (This will be 3:01 AM my time). If I see no option for that I will drive up to my local Apple store (10 min drive) and check out the line situation. (I expect it to be close to empty.) If however its a massive line, I will then place the order via my iPhone and probably still be able to get into the first lot for deliver by mail probably on Monday or Tuesday.

20. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Just to confirm it. If you order online, it strips your upgrade eligibility immediately and then once the device is activated it "signs" the 2 new year contract. This is to prevent you ordering the device online, getting the subsidy pricing and then going into the store and getting another phone for the same subsidy pricing. If you ordered online and went into the store afterwards, your upgrade eligibility would already be gone.

21. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Unfortunately I have to work the next day, and while like everyone else I want the 5s ASAP, it's not feasible or responsible for me to be driving around to Apple stores at 3AM to evaluate the line situation, only to disrupt a night's sleep.

The good news is that none of the 5C's are out of stock yet, and I'm hoping the 5C draws some attraction away from the demand of 5S'. If it's any projection of 5S orders, I hope that shipping times don't slip like the 5C hasn't. If I can't get one that morning at an Apple store, then I'm just going to have to order online and wait until the following week I guess.

----------

Correct.

22. TAI182 macrumors regular

TAI182

That's what I was told when I called Walmart yesterday.

----------

This is correct. I just went into an AT&T store to ask, and I was told the same. Do not order online then try to buy in store if you are using an upgrade.

If you are buying an iPhone 5s as a completely new line, then go ahead and order online then try to get one in a store. In that case, you would be able to cancel the online order.

23. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Last year I had this very same issue. I preordered and was set to wait on receiving my iPhone 5. My wife ended up getting off early from work on launch day and headed to the mall where our Apple Store is so I got the itch to have her see if they had any of my model in stock. They did and they also had an AT&T rep in the Apple Store who assisted her in canceling my order. I had to forward her my confirmation email for them to get some info but that was it. It took about ten extra minutes on their end to get it done.

----------

You couldn't do it yourself but as I posted someone there at the Apple Store did if for me last year with the iPhone 5.

24. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Wow.. what difference does it make from getting the phone right away or a few days later? Are you guys really that impatient? :)

25. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Sadly I am. I blame Apple. Pushing the iPad refresh back to the fall has me jonesing for a new toy something awful. he he