iPhone 5S first to sport ARMv8/Cortex A57

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bahroo, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Apple is secretly climbing up to become one of the best SoC makers , they will go head to head with Intel and Qualcomm

I find it interesting though, how Apple was able to do this, the A7 SoC which is a dual core 1.3 GHz is faster then the quad core Snapdragon 800 clocked at 2.3 ghz . that's because the s800 is still based on ARMv7

2. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Nope. I don't think the iPhone 5S is specifically on Cortex A57. Cortex A57 is manufactured on a 20nm process, while the A7 is manufactured by Samsung on the HKMG 28nm process. Besides, I don't even think the A7 is even part of the Cortex family. Its a totally custom chip, in its own class, in the A-Series chip family by Apple.

Yes, it is extremely admirable a dual core 1.3Ghz chip can oust the Quad Core Snapdragon 800 clocked at 2.3 Ghz. Overall, the A7 is currently the most powerful chip on the market right now. All android manufacturers and chip makers does is put more and more cores into their chips and turn up their clock speeds with little emphasis on battery life, maybe boasting about an 8% improvement or something which is not the case at all.

3. Simplyiphone macrumors newbie

Simplyiphone

I give it to Apple when it comes to sunspider and things like that it performs well but its not beating the S800..... And its not the fastest on the planet lol These test are from a Lg G2 and the test speak for themselves. You also have to factor in the iPhone is pushing a very small resolution (1136x640) roughly 727,040 pixels compare to most android devices pushing a full (1920x1080) which is about 2,073,600 pixels thats about 1346560 pixels more then the iPhone has to worry about But like I said i give to the A7 its a good push from apple and competition is good is pushes everyone to make better products and features for us consumers. And no I am not a fanboy I have owned Apple Samsung Lg and Htc products and i just love technology

Attached Files:

4. z3r0day, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

z3r0day macrumors newbie

You are running outdated Geekbench 2, which we also don't have data on. Why don't you post your geekbench 3 results for a fair comparison?

Edit: Don't forget, dual core 1.3GHz ;)
    Edit2: To save you some time:

LG G2:
    [​IMG]

iPhone 5s:
    [​IMG]

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Don't forget the 5s is currently the fastest device in off screen set resolution 1080p rendering.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Lower res on a much smaller screen. Technically higher resolution. Higher Ppi.

7. Simplyiphone macrumors newbie

Simplyiphone

The iPhone has the lowest ppi vs any other high end phone and nothing beats the HTC one's 469ppi which is one the best display on a phone i had but htc quality isn't there yet... Mine had 7 pixels stuck. Sorry I posted the outdated geekbench I forgot about geekbench 3. I mean this happens every year tho... last year the iPhone 5 was dubbed the fastest phone in the world aka matching to sometimes beating the gs3 quad core then the s4 came out and it double killed the iPhone 5. In the end of the day it all matters how it performs in the real world. Also gotta see what the Note 3 can do considering how much power it has under the hood. But the biggest factor is optimization which android is getting there but alot of things only use 2 cores if not one and this was the same issue when intel and amd first released there quad cores..

8. Bahroo thread starter macrumors 68000

Dude its a custom cortex a57, ARMv8 is cortex a57/a53

custom ARMv8/a57 cores paired with the PowerVR Rogue GPU instead of the mali gpu from ARM

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's not Cortex A57, nor is it based on that. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/2 Also, ARM doesn't make GPUs.

10. Bahroo thread starter macrumors 68000

What does the screen res have to do with anything? Most gpu benchmarks are 1080p onscreen and 1080p offscreen, the A7 in the 5S has the most powerful GPU in a mobile SoC today, the PowerVR Rogue seriee

----------

I ment the GPU that ARM paired with the A57, and the 5S cpu is based on ARM v8, care to tell me what ARMv8 is?

----------

Hmm... It has alot of similiarities to A57, probably has performance close to it

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

ARMv8 is an instruction set, not a core design. It's similar to Intell's MMX or SSE or AMD's x86_64. While it may have similarities to A57, it's all Apple's design. Apple may have set its A7's spec to match or outperform those of A57 or maybe even used it as a starting place, but it isn't A57.

12. JulianL macrumors 65816

ARMv8 is an instruction set architecture (ISA) and the Cortex A57 is a reference implementation of the ARMv8 ISA that has been designed by ARM engineers. It is possible to license a complete core design such as the A57 or alternatively an ARM customer can buy an ARM architecture license which allows the licensee to design their own core to implement a particular ARM ISA.

In the case of the A7 Apple has chosen not to base its design on the Cortex A57 reference core licensed by ARM but has instead chosen to exercise its rights under its ARM architecture license and build a completely new design created by Apple's own in-house engineers to implement the ARMv8 ISA.

13. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Yeah Apple undoubtedly has the best mobile engineers in the world. The A7 is an absolute monster, even though it doesn't exactly translate into real-world performance gains just yet.

14. KSean macrumors member

15. FAJV macrumors newbie

iPhone's CPU is 1.7 GHz dual core, not 1.3 dual core.

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All sources state the 5S' CPU is running at 1.3Ghz.

17. FAJV macrumors newbie

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So you trust one site over dozens of other reputable ones who have verified it? :rolleyes:

19. Porkaysi, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

Porkaysi macrumors member

the note 3's exynos variant gets 2700 on geekbench3 on threaded but still get around 1,000 single core, thats all on 32 bit. the 800 on the note 3 is the AB variant and has better ram speed and GPU then what come in a G2 an so on(1800 is a lower score for g2 btw seen them running 2300 on 3). still nice to see apple matching android on RAW power, but it only matches it when its 64 bit code, not 32 bit. Qualcomm is making the best GPU right now, the note 3 get 26 fps off screen vs 23 of the iPhone 5. on screen performance it will lose simply because it pushes nearly 3 times the pixels of the iPhone.

exynos score are here= http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2438339&page=2