iPhone 5S home button is "sticky" Video attached

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Sep 24, 2013.

1. AndrewR23, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

So I just received the phone. No scratches, dents. The home button is sticky sounding tho. Its not loud. When you click the button down, its normal but when you let go it is sticky sounding.

By the way this is a Tmobile iPhone unlocked ordered on Apples website. I simply took the T mobile sim out and put my AT&T sim in, and it activated within 3 seconds.

View My Video

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My home button is sticky on my black one as well.

I'm debating if I should bother taking it to the store. They've already seen me at the store a lot, so not sure if that's a good move. :eek:

3. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Check out my video if you can. Its pretty annoying, ill be going to Apple tomorrow.

I wanted to buy an Verizon unlocked anyways to give as a gift next year and I read on here it will work with AT&T LTE.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

5. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Mine does the same thing as well, this is my second 5s due to the first one having nicks on the chamfered edges.

6. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Oh on a side note when I went to my local Apple store yesterday they refused to sell me a Verizon iPhone device only. Not sure why but ill be going again tomorrow

----------

I thought they fixed that problem? Are you gonna replace yours?

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It seems how the button is pressed affects the sound it makes.

8. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes Ive noticed that too. Pressing it on the sides or bottom makes absolutely no noise. But pressing it in the middle like I do makes a sticky noise.

9. macjoshua macrumors 6502

From what I've gathered so far, this is entirely normal for the new home buttons. Mine does it, and every iPhone I tested in the Apple Store did it. I posted a nearly identical video on YouTube, which I had an AppleCare rep watch. They said it's part of the new button's technology.

It's all a matter of how you press the button, in terms of how much of a click you get.

"You're pressing it wrong"...? :rolleyes:

10. TechnicallyTee macrumors demi-god

TechnicallyTee

11. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Can u show me your video?

12. macjoshua macrumors 6502

13. Poly macrumors 6502

Yeah sounds the same on mine!
    When pressing in the middle it is quite loud and 'clicky' and when pressing at any edge it does little to no noise.

14. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Weird on first 5s the button was not like this

15. tivoboy macrumors 68030

yes, no

Mine does it too, I find it a bit annoying. Some in store models, however, do NOT do it and are pretty smooth and quite. Seems a better mechanism, or there is some flange here that is making the clicking?

My phone also seems to have a washed out screen, certainly compare to my 4s, could be a bit ios7 vs. ios6, but even compared to other 5s, the contrast on other screens seems better with black on white background, sooo, might return for the first time ever, assuming they have some inventory.

16. macjoshua macrumors 6502

Did you go to the Apple Store? I'm curious if anyone has actually gone to a Genius Bar for this yet.

17. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

I did go to apple, but I returned it. Ill be getting the Verizon unlocked next week when my new Amex card comes in.

Here in Sac, our store has a lot of 5S if anyone is near here.

Oh and I couldnt tell if the display models did it, it was extremely loud in the store.

18. LWP777 Suspended

My 5S button makes the exact same noise. Doesn't bother me at all. I actually didn't even notice it until I read this thread. I'm assuming my 4S didn't make a sound like this?

I don't think it's a defect. I think it probably has something to do with the home button being redesigned with the Touch ID.

19. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah, I looked on youtube and saw videos showing this is normal. Just gonna get take some getting used too, thats all.

20. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I'm going to take mine back if gold ever comes back in stock otherwise I'll just stick this one out

21. aka777 macrumors 6502a

22. Cutterschoice macrumors member

It's normal, its a physical button, i doubt you'd take a car back because the door made a noise when you closed it lol.

23. Vctr macrumors regular

I'm getting the clacking noise too with the iPhone 5S I just picked up today. I came to the forums to see if anyone else was also experiencing problems.

This can't possibly be normal ... it leaves me with such an unsettling feeling when I click the home button. Is everyone experiencing this problem? It seems like a good amount of people are.

24. tivoboy macrumors 68030

same

I was just in the apple store, trying to compare new iphone 5s SCREENS to mine. And did a survey of the HOME buttons in the store. I would say more than 50% of the ones I tried, (about 10) had the same clicking sound/feel. The others, had a pretty smooth and noiseless sound/feel.

My bigger issue is the screen tint, and the fact that since it is not really white, the contrast between what is a lighter FONT and the less than white background makes the contrast and reading a bit worse. and I don't like that.

Mine will most likely go back and be swapped, they seemed to have several.

25. tivoboy macrumors 68030

returned

I returned my one SG 32GB phone for a 64GB phone last friday (last day to exchange) and it has a much better home button, smooth soft clicking and action and the screen of the phone is also improved. Better contrast and brightness. I hate that it is always a crapshoot.