iPhone 5s Home button sometimes unresponsive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Oct 11, 2013.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

Mar 29, 2008
    So, I wouldn't normally make this post, but given this happens to me, my wife, and a friend of mine with a 5s, I figured I'd ask here.

Every so often, I reach for my phone and push the Home button to wake it up, and nothing happens, - screen stays black. I then have to push the Home button again, and the phone wakes up like nothing is wrong. The first few times I thought I wasn't pushing the Home button in all the way, but I'm pretty convinced that's not the case. This didn't happen on my iPhone 5 running iOS 7, either.

I'm pretty sure it's not a specific hardware issue, because the Home button works 100% of the time when the device is awake.

This seems to happen at random, and I can't repeat it at will. All phones on 7.0.2.

Anyone else notice this?
  2. viperGTS macrumors 68000

Nov 15, 2010
    Same issue here. Is it just me or does the home button sink a lot more on the 5s compared to the 5/4S? It feels much less sturdy.
  3. richard371 macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2008
    This has happened to me on every single iPhone I have ever had and I've had them all.
  4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Jul 27, 2012
    Hollywood, CA
    This hasn't happened on my 5S at all.

Did happen a few times on my 4S.

Like viper said, the button needs a "deeper" push. You probably just pushed it in but it somehow didn't engage. The button definitely needs more of a push than past iPhone home buttons.

I love the new home button, and I love how it's clicky and more of a push. To me that means the home button is sturdier. People are making such a stink about it.

Even though I got used to it right away, I think it's just something that people need to get used to. The new home button is redesigned so the feel (and sound) and operation have changed a little bit.
  5. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 29, 2008
    Hmm.. Interesting. Well given that not many people are replying here, that's not exactly reassuring. :D

The three of us have never had this happen with any phone except the 5s. Go figure. :D
  6. pasqualino macrumors member

Oct 4, 2013
    i recall this happening on my iphone 4, but it's not exactly reproducible.
  7. sviato macrumors 68020

Oct 27, 2010
    HR 9038 A
    I had this happen on the 4s on iOS6 before. It's always like a "wait..what" moment when you expect the screen to turn on but it doesn't.
  8. pk7 macrumors 6502

Sep 27, 2011
    I can remember this happening as early as iOS 4 and on all the devices that ran it. It's not a hardware problem. Sometimes the OS just hesitates to light up the screen.
  9. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 29, 2008
    If by hesitates, you mean it never actually does it, then yes, that's a "hesitation." It did it just now. I hit the Home button, and the screen stayed black. I waited at least 5 seconds. Not sure how long I should wait? :p

Hit the button again and whammo. Right back up. It's certainly not a hardware bug since the Home button always, always responds when I'm actually using the phone and multi-tasking or going back to the home screen.
  10. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

Sep 20, 2011
    Yeah this has been happening to me too. I didn't think much of it though.
  11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Jun 29, 2012
    Colorado Springs USA for now
    If it's important enough for you to make a thread it should be important enough for you to go to the apple store and get it checked out. We await your report.
  12. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2012
    North Carolina
    Go exchange it. I did it with my unresponsive iphone 5.