iPhone 5S - huge upgrade over iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aka777, Sep 25, 2013.

1. aka777, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

aka777 macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to say that the performance increase of going from the iphone 5 to the 5S is huge.

So for anyone who is on the side-lines and doesn't think it's a worthy update, the increase in speed of the 5S model is actually more than that of the 4s to the 5.

I think this is actually the best upgrade from any previous model or even generation so far.

2. billycuth macrumors 6502a

It's for this very reason that I didn't settle for the 5c when coming from the 4s.

Granted, I was not a fan of the colors. But even with that, the performance mattered to me because I want the phone to last a while.

3. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

The ones I tried in the Apple store were SO fast compared to my 5. My 5S is being delivered today, but I'm scared to restore from my backup because I don't want bugs to carry over and make it slow again :( Sigh

4. user-name-here macrumors 65816

5s improvements over the 5:

- A7 processor twice as fast as the A6
    - Fingerprint sensor for easy secure unlocking
    - Longer battery life
    - Dual LED flash
    - Gold color option
    - 64 bit iOS
    - Improvements to camera quality
    - Slow motion video capture
    - Facetime HD camera
    - M7 coprocessor
    - Free iWork / iLife
    - More LTE bands packed in for international travel

5. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

Ya I did a clean start with my 5s. The only data I really needed were my checkbook and password apps and they both had their own back up functions.

6. vc73287n macrumors member

vc73287n

I understand. My best advice would be to start as a new device instead of previous backup. Before that though , sync your contacts with icloud. When you use your apple id on your new phone, sync your contacts. As far as music syncd, thats fine. DONT SYNC the apps though. Just download them over again :D

7. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Backup should be find, but I always do fresh installs anyway. I like fresh.

8. aka777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep exactly. The 64bit A7 is not a little upgrade either, it's a cutting-edge processor that essentially nobody but apple is using and approaches desktop-grade performance. In fact, browsing on my iphone 5s is now as fast as an x year old laptop. If they put an A7X in the next ipad, it's going to freagin fly.

The camera is better than x year old digital camera. It has world-wide LTE bands.. etc etc.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

To be fair, you get iWork/iLife with any new iOS device purchase now, even a 4s.

That said, the 5s upgrade is a big deal. Touch ID and more LTE bands alone are worth it. Owners of the Verizon model in particular have their choice of using 3 national carriers on full LTE.

10. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

I want to do this, but I really want to keep all my pictures and text messages (call me crazy, but I still like to read over old texts with my ex :rolleyes: )

11. Eallan macrumors 6502

I did a restore from a 5 and have 0 problems. In fact, I've always done a restore with no issues. If it caused a ton of issues, it wouldn't be an option from Apple.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Funny, I wanted to start a thread like this but wasn't sure how much of a cheerleader I wanted to be. :D

The 5s is the first iPhone in a long time that's impressed me and not given me any buyer's remorse (which is a difficult feat). I usually upgrade primarily for the camera upgrades and this one over-delivers. The incremental upgrades to this phone are a tremendous value. Very highly recommended.

13. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

I wanted to keep all of my texts with my wife as they started when we first met. I found a program, can't remember the name, that allowed me to export all my texts from her into a text document I keep on my laptop.

14. AceMason macrumors regular

Hmm, I don't feel like my iPhone 5S is that much faster than my iPhone 5. You don't really notice it that much except with things like launching the Camera , taking pictures in quick succession, or maybe playing a game like Infinity Blade III. It's faster yeah, but it's not something I'm blown away by. I guess because when I went from my iPhone 4 to 5 (skipping the 4S) it felt crazy fast but for this upgrade it's not really that noticeable. I was running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 though so maybe that's why I don't feel like it's that much faster ? I'm not saying that the 5S is slow or anything, it's actually really fast and never laggy, I'm just saying that it doesn't feel immensely faster than my iPhone 5. I still love my iPhone 5S though and all the other features, especially the improved camera.

15. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

Someone gets it! :D

It's alright, i'll just restore. I'd rather have a bad battery and slower phone and get to keep all my sentimental things.

That's kinda the meaning of a phone anyway, right?

16. Bahroo macrumors 68000

The 5 is still a great performer today, its single core performance is that just under the Snapdragon 800, which has its cores clocked at 1 ghz higher then the dual core found in the i5. (2.3 ghz vs 1.3 ghz)

Also the 3 core GPU can easily last and handle the UI pretty smoothly for the next two years... It has a faster GPU then the Adreno 320, which is powering most 1080p smartphone displays and the Adreno 320 is weaker. Its also not rendering at 1080p on the iphone 5 screen so.

I have a GS4, and i actually like it alot, but the 5S is extremely nice to me... For the first time in my life i am not going to go out my way for the new 5S.. I just got this new gs4 like 2 months ago for 110 dollars off contract(i still have my unlimited data on Verizon... How amazing right lol)

No doubt about it that the 5S is by far the biggest S upgrade

The 64 bit processor and the new gpu alone in the 5s will be future proof for like 3 years

17. Psychopulse macrumors regular

Psychopulse

Got mine on Monday, boy, I'm really impressed. Best phone ever!

18. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

I'm saying you can have both! I'm not at home so I can't remember the program I used but a search will find apps like iExplorer that will do it. The one I used had a free demo period so I didn't have to pay a thing.

19. dvoros macrumors 6502

iPhone 5s=non-existent

Whats the point. These phones will not be available until November. Very poor management by Apple. What else is new.:mad:

20. KPOM macrumors G5

Not true at all. It's in high demand, just as the last two iPhones were, but they seem to be quicker at getting phones into the channel. Just try the retail stores. You might be surprised. At least here in the US they seem to have more stock than people expect.

Remember, last year they struggled to get 5 million phones out at launch. Even if we figure that some of the 9 million were 5cs, it's pretty safe to say that they have managed to roll out the 5s more quickly.

21. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

Ooo, this thing looks awesome! I just looked it up - downloading now. Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate it. I like to keep all my memories :D

22. aka777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They started building these months ago. 9 million phones is a lot of phones to sell.

23. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Seems like it's going to take forever for the white and gold versions to get built and shipped.

24. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I went from a 5 to a 5s and "huge" is not the word I would use to describe the upgrade.

Listing specs doesn't matter to me, how it operates in the real world does.

I think the tear down this week even said the parts are almost identical to the 5/5c.

I'm happy with my upgrade but anyone with a 5 or 5c should not feel like they are missing out on something huge.

25. LeeM macrumors 6502a

i went from the 4 to 5s, that was hugely noticeable. i'll run a side by side comparison with a 5 when my girlfriend gets home from visiting her parents tonight but dont imagine it to be huge in day to day tasks