Iphone 5s, iCloud full at 5GB, but with what? Photos aren't synched.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theLemur, Oct 6, 2015.

1. theLemur macrumors regular

My phone kept giving warnings of low iCloud storage until finally it hit it's limit at 5GB. I make sure photos (presumably the most data intensive category) were not synched. In fact, I only sync a few select items. I even went through the phone and deleted every picture and movie, unselected use iCloud, and then turned it back on and it still filled up to 5GB.

I've tried everywhere to figure out what's hogging the space and I'm at a loss... Any ideas?

2. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

Did you check your text messages? If you have a lot of picture and video attachments, that can eat up your storage real quick. There isn't a setting to see how much space your messages are taking up either.

3. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

I delete them regularly, and I don't have an excessive amount on the phone. However, I changed to a new phone recently, and I don't know if perhaps all my old messages might be backed up.

4. ke-iron macrumors 6502a

Just go to iCloud settings and look at your storage backup it will show what's using up space. It could be app data. You might want to pay a dollar a month for 50 gigs iCloud storage and you won't have this problem.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It probably has your backup from your old phone. Delete all of the backup and resync your new phone. Might be easier to do this on a desktop with the iCloud app. That should help.

6. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Hrmm, i think i didn't that a few weeks ago. I deleted the backup from my phone and started it over. It had to upload all 5GB again and it took the entire nigh to do it. However, I will do as you suggested and look for this iCloud app, I'm not familiar with that. Thanks!

7. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

I found the iCloud preferences and it looks like there are 4.9GB used from my current phone. I am so confused... and I can't imagine what it taking up that space. Perhaps I just need to do a hard reset of the phone, but the problem is that it will probably download that 4.9gb again from iCloud.

8. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

You can see what's actually taking up that 4.9GB

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Apple purposes designed iCloud backups to upsell their storage sizes.

Pretty sad iCloud backup goes against everything People think of Apple (simplicity).

It's just easier for me to manually backup on my computer. Unfortunately many people don't even bother to do that.

And yes. iMessage takes up a ton of storage space. Especially those people (my wife) who has like 4gb in iMessage alone. I delete crap. She doesn't.

10. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

It says that there is 3.7GB in photos but i just wiped them all clean a few weeks ago and restarted iCloud... so confused...

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

Are u sure u are wiping all the photos.

I hate it Apple doesn't "delete" ur photos after you delete them. You have to go into your trash photos and select "delete all" to finally get rid of all the photos.

Apple is very sneaky trying to upsell you on storage.

If they gave everyone unlimited photo storage and 15gb iCloud storage it wouldn't be an issue for 95% of people with 16gb iPhone. But than again. Apple wants you to buy the 64gb iPhone and upgrade you to a monthly paying icloud customer.

12. doboy macrumors 68000

I'm sure those people who accidentally deleted their photos appreciate it.

13. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, you're right, I still had a lot in my deleted items category. I deleted them and now I have about 1gb free, which doesn't make sense, but at least it's not completely full.

I just want to make sure my contacts are backed up, everything else is expendable...

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I do not back up my photo to the cloud. Way too many. I just back them up directly to my computer.

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

No. Most likely those photos are on photo stream which save the last 1000 photos.

We can keep making excuses for Apple. But it's clearly a business decision with the way they implement iCloud storage with the backup.

16. doboy macrumors 68000

Well some people don't use photo stream and some have more than 1000 photos. Not everything is a business decision, some are for user experience. If I felt the way you did about Apple's business practices I would move to a different platform.