iPhone 5's impact to application file size

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IUBall22, Oct 9, 2012.

1. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

With the iPhones increased power, does anyone else think that application file sizes will increase (particularly games)? Has this factored into which capacity phone you decided to get?

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There should be no increase in Application size "due to the iPhone's increased power", but adding in the layout and additional artwork to fit the new screen means that some apps WILL get bigger (whether you have a 4" iOS device or not).

An "good" App will support:

iPhone (non-retina)
    iPhone (retina)
    iPhone (4" retina)
    iPad (non-retina)
    iPad (retina)

With the talk about an "iPad mini" that will almost certainly require even more to be included.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not if the iPad mini uses the same resolution as the non-Retina iPad, which is the going rumor right now.

4. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I know universal apps are nice, and that you pay one price for the combined iphone/ipad app, but there's obviously bloat in doing it this way.

Shame there isn't a way of buying the ipad only version of an app and this allowing you to download the iphone version for free, and vice versa.

This way you don't have to carry the payload for the other device in the app, keeping it streamlined and space efficient.

5. IUBall22 thread starter macrumors 6502

is this really true? Wouldn't more power lead to better graphics and more depth, which in turn would lead to an increased file size?

6. BiggAW macrumors 68030

Maybe for a few leading games. Most apps will increase a little because of the larger screen, but not much since we were already at Retina. We already went through most of the size increases with the 4. It's not really a big deal, most apps are small relative to the storage space on an iPhone, and I know I only update apps over wifi, with an occasional new download through cellular that doesn't account for much of my 2GB of data.