Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StevesJob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
The contract for my mobile phone will expire on Oct 28 and my provider offered me a good deal for an iphone 5 if i renew my contract now. I am going to renew the contract sooner or later, I'm just not sure whether I should do it now or wait for the iphone 5S (6?) to be announced.

I didn't read any apple news or rumours lately. Can you guys tell me: How probable is it that the new Iphone (and I'm not talking about the plastic one) will be out until the end of October?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
apple has released a new iphone every year since the original. the last iphone went on sale in september, and the one before that in mid october (just in time for the holiday shopping quarter). there absolutely will be a new iphone this year, and it's likely to happen before (or around the time) your contract expires.

Robtt35

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
I'm the same. Just got a text from my carrier saying I can upgrade early. Happy to wait if its not to far away but I'm worried I don't have will to wait.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah I got an email from AT&T as well as a push alert from my Apple Store App that I can upgrade back on May 1.

Holding out, even though I am itching to upgrade from my 4S and onto a bigger screen and LTE.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
My girlfriend recently got her upgrade and she chose to spring for an iPhone 5 - she's not too bothered about having the latest iPhone. Everytime I see it I just get more and more sick of my iPhone 4 and I almost went for an iPhone 5 the other day. I've told myself to wait though, it'll like only be September. I don't like contracts so I'll pay full price and stick with my sim-only deal.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I love the current iPhone. With the deals that many places ae offering like Target & Best Buy and even AT&T, I doubt you'll be able to beat the prices that are now being offered, just a thought. I'm not sure that the technology is going to be anything more than evolutionary between the 5 & 5S (or whatever it's called). Maybe a better camera & faster processor but I think the current set-up is great.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It will look just like the current iPhone, but have somewhat better specs inside.

The past three upgrades have been.

3gs->4 : new looks, mediocre internal upgrade
4->4S : same looks, huge internal upgrade
4S->5 : new looks, mediocre internal upgrade

Chances are the 5S will have some huge fancy new hardware, and features that require it, like with Siri/4S.

The trick is what? Dunno, because we aren't in need of cellular speed, wifi speed, cpu speed, or gpu speed.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The past three upgrades have been.

3gs->4 : new looks, mediocre internal upgrade
4->4S : same looks, huge internal upgrade
4S->5 : new looks, mediocre internal upgrade

From a larger view there is a pattern of S versions of the phones which have upgraded specs but the same looks.

3G > 3GS
4 > 4S
5 > 5s in 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.