iPhone 5s in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by haiggy, Sep 14, 2013.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

My fellow Canadians,

What plans are you planning on going with for the iPhone 5s?
    All these new 2 year contracts have outrageous prices. Anyone find or know of a good deal? I'm in Ontario.

Also, speaking with my current provider Telus, they will be getting the phone on the 22nd (Sunday wtf?)

I currently have a 3 year contract with them ending in a few days and apparently the 5c is only available for preorders now with a new share plan suggesting that if you want the new 5s you must take on a different more expensive, featureless "share" plan.

What's everyone's thoughts on what they are going to do?

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I'm considering getting it unlocked, as I did with my 4. But for some reason it's $70 more than in the US. Our dollars are at parity. Wtf.

Having no contract is great. Rogers kept calling me to offer better and better plans.

I'm currently at 250 + unlimited nights and weekends starting 6pm. All the iPhone trimmings. 6GB of data. For $60.

3. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

How the heck did you get that deal? Was that from when they first offered the iPhone? Lol

4. scarred macrumors 6502a

If you do a little bit of research, you'll see that your best bet is to buy unlocked and pickup a monthly plan from your favorite carrier. The two year plan prices should only be considered if you are cash strapped.

5. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Is it though?

Unlocked iPhone 5s 32GB = $819
    Standard $75/mo 500 MB Data Plan = $65/mo (Most carriers give you a savings of $10/mo if you bring your own device)
    Total Cost after 2 years = $2379 + tax

Unlocked iPhone 5s 32GB = $819
    My Current Plan = $55/mo
    Total Cost after 2 years = $2139 + tax

On Contract iPhone 5s 32GB = $299
    Standard $75/mo 500 MB Data Plan = $75/mo
    Total Cost after 2 years = $2099 + tax

My current plan would be slightly more although I would have twice as much data (1 GB vs 500 MB).

Is there a cheaper way to get more data?
    Am I missing something here?

6. Iceage macrumors 6502

Here is my present plan:

Fab 10 Promo 60 6GB Share 36M
    200 shareable minutes
    Unlimited nights (6 p.m. - 7 a.m.) and weekends (6 p.m. Friday - 7 a.m. Monday)
    Unl. nationwide member talking
    National Fab 10 - Text & Talk
    Text Messaging - Unlimited Package
    Unlimited Picture and Video Messaging
    Basic Long Distance Rate
    Email & Internet 6GB Share
    Mobile TV included - $5 value
    Conference Calling & Call Waiting
    Bundle 12 (caller I'd, voice mail)
    Call forwarding

All this for $63.67 tax included.

I called Bell to see what my options were if I wanted to uograde. Two options:

(A) get a subsidize iphone 5s from them at $229.95 on a two year term. Going with this option, I lose my present plan. I have to pick one of the new plans. A plan similar to what I have now will cost me $110 plus tax (this plan has actually less features than my present plan). So, total cost over two years is: phone cost + activation fees + plan cost = $3 283.20.

(B) buy the phone outright, keep my plan (my plan is grand fathered if I don't get a new phone under contract). So, total cost for this option is: cost of phone + plan cost = $2 340.55.

Now, let's say in two years from now I want to upgrade again. With option A, it will cost me $300 tax included. With option B, it will cost me $812.47 tax included.

So, option A will cost me $942.65 more in the first two years. HOWEVER, if I upgrade each two years, I save $512.47 each time compare to option B. If I take a 10 year period, I save $1 107.23 in total. That's the premium you pay over ten years for option B which gives me three benefits:

1- no contract
    2- Fab 10, mobile TV, call forwarding
    3- buy your unlocked phone directly from Apple ($75 to unlock a Bell phone, better resale value)

My choice: option B

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You guys have it just as bad and maybe worse than us here in the us.

8. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Move to Saskatchewan. Unlimited data (thought throttled when you exceed 10GB per month) and texts for $65 per month. Thanks to our provincial phone company, SaskTel.

And Telus offers better (more) data plans here to compete with SaskTel.

9. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Do the math, it's cheaper now to keep your old smartphone plan and simply buy unlocked. The equivalent plan from what I have from Telus now on their 2 year plans is well over $100/month instead of $55.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Everyone in Canada complained about 3 year contracts and now that the carriers were forced to change to 2 year contracts, they were able to raise the prices.

My current plan is $65/month but if I were to sign up for a new one with the same stuff it would be $120. :cool:

Since you're already on Rogers and not a new customer, I would call their retention department and try to either keep your plan and sign a contract for another 2 years or try to negotiate a better plan. I'm very curious as to whether they'd force existing customers onto the new plan. I may have to buy my next phone outright if it means I could at least keep my current plan.

11. Altis, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

Altis macrumors 68000

You should be able to re-sign your contract using the same conditions. If they say no, talk to them... because once you're off contract, you're free to leave (which they do not like one bit).

I'm with Fido in Ontario and they have been great. I have an old 6GB / $30 plan combined with a $35 text/talk plan that's pretty good. They no longer do the separate two plans. I've been able to change which T/T plan I've had even while on contract.

If your old plan is really good, try to get it renewed and get the upgrade. Otherwise, maybe check out the others.

Buying unlocked while you are off contract and then paying contract months plan rates doesn't make much sense. (Fido gives 10% off if you bring your own device). The "smart" plan $65 seems the best right now.

I'm only 1.25 years through my 3 year plan, and I've had this 4S for 1.75 years. Thank god they're changing to 2 year plans, although we still get royally screwed compared to the US. (as we do on everything)

12. scarred macrumors 6502a

On contract plans are more like 80 to 90 now (with the switch to 2 year contracts). Similar monthly plans are 50 to 60... and there are bonuses to bringing your own device as well.

Now, if you go with Wind, it is no contest. =) 33 bucks a month for unlimited if you are lucky enough to live in a city that has their service.

13. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

Honestly, the new plans are only $10 more then what I'm paying now for two iPhones and they offer more. If you want to keep your plan now you'll have to add features to make it a certain price. It sucks, phone prices are going up here which makes no sense.

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Fido plans are actually pretty messed up right now:

The $65 plan has everything included and unlimited with 1gb of data
    The $75 plan has everything that the $65 plan has but only 500mb data
    The $85 plan is the same as the $65 plan with 1gb data

The only difference that I see is that overage fees are different.

15. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

Wrong. You need to look at where the plans are located. If you look at Fido's website they have Standard, Smart and Max plans. Each phone is under a different category for plans. iPhone's must be under the Max plan because it's a high end smartphone but that's with signing a two-year contract. When you look at the phone it will state, $129 with 2-year Tab24 agreement on Max Plan.

16. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

I'm with Virgin Mobile right now with a pretty sweet plan:

$45
    400 anytime minutes
    myPeeps
    Smartphone Data - 1 GB
    Unlimited Incoming Calling
    Unlimited evenings & wknd from 5PM
    Canada-Wide Calling
    Text & PIC to Can, US & Int'l
    Unlimited Incoming Text
    Call Display Included
    Voice Mail 10 Included
    Pay per use Voice - U.S. Roaming

And I'm on a supertab which I plan on having paid off by Jan-Feb. I'd really hate to lose my plan if I'm forced to sign a new 2yr agreement in order to get the 5S.

17. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Already made a reservation for the iPhone 5S for friday at Virgin Mobile.

I'm going for a 45$ 2 years plan (in Québec) : Unlimited calling canada-wide, 1gb of data, Voicemail and Caller ID and 200$ rebate when buying the phone.

For the full subsidized price there is nothing under 70$, and even then you dont get much minutes or data. My 45$ plan is actually 85$ if you want the subsidized 199$ price on the phone. So basically you pay 40$ extra for 24 months, 960$, to get a 500$ rebate on your phone.

18. Iceage macrumors 6502

If you upgrade every two years, the cost over a period of ten years, there's not much of a difference. Each case is unique. In my case, it's better to buy the phone outright.

19. AppleMrHan macrumors member

AppleMrHan

My plan:

Government Plan
    250 Weekday Minutes
    250 Local Incoming Minutes
    Unlimited Eve & Wknd Minutes
    1Gb of Data

Included with My Plan
    Van./Vic. Rate Following
    Exact Pricing
    250 Picture Messaging
    Call Display w/Name Display
    Basic Voicemail
    250 Sent & Unltd Rcvd Text Msg
    Billed Usage-Invoice Details
    Network Features

$51.00/mth
    Includes all monthly fees

20. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I'm buying unlocked. Virgin wants me to switch to a 2-year plan if I want a new phone from them and there is NO way I am giving up the plan I have.

$50
    Unlimited Canada-Wide Calling
    Unlimited International Text & Picture Messaging
    Voicemail & Call Display
    10 Hours Mobile TV
    6GB Data

21. Seniordan macrumors regular

I have an old month-to-month Virgin plan that isn't offered anymore.

400 mins
    evenings @ 6pm + weekends
    unl text,pic,vid messaging
    unl incoming calls
    everything canada wide
    1gb data
    caller id + voicemail

I only pay $40/month so I'll be buying the 5s outright so I don't have to change my plan.