Iphone 5s killed itself

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by digitalfailure, Oct 2, 2013.

1. digitalfailure macrumors regular

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else in a thread.

Has anyone else's 5s killed itself and needed to be plugged into iTunes to recover it?

I was closing apps down and got a blue screen before the phone turned off and then displayed the iTunes screen.

Quite concerned over this as I'm finding the 5s to be a bit pants compared to other iphones Ive owned. 3G signal terrible and it spends most of it's time on gprs where my old 4s was stable on 3G in the same location and call quality sounds bad to the recipient.

2. gCloud macrumors 6502a

3. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

4. digitalfailure thread starter macrumors regular

No, it didn't loop it just froze for a split second and then blue screened. After a couple of seconds a black screen with the white apple logo came on before changing to the "connect to iTunes" screen.

I'm thinking that despite iOS 7 being tested for months , it's got way too many serious bugs in it.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

I haven't noticed this at all. Perhaps you have a dud?

6. digitalfailure thread starter macrumors regular

Nah, I'm going with bugs in iOS , just been chatting with a friend who's 5 did the same thing and there's a guy on my Facebook who's iPad crashed in a similar manner.

7. digitalfailure thread starter macrumors regular

The phone blue screened again earlier when opening safari, no other apps were open at the time. Luckily the phone came back to life after the blue screen without needing iTunes.

8. emseven macrumors regular

Happened here too. I turned on Airplane mode and before the toggle clicked it was showing a blue screen then restarting.

9. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

My 5s did the same thing while I was updating it to iOS 7.0.2. I thought it was odd since I do not sync my iPhone with iTunes; it's backed up to iCloud. Anyways, iTunes downloaded the iOS update and set the phone up as if it was brand new, and for a moment I thought I had lost my backup. I called Apple and was instructed to 'Erase All Content and Settings'. It then restored my iCloud backup. All in all, it took about 5 hours to correct.

Quite an annoying bug that would have been really debilitating had I not been near my laptop to access iTunes.

10. digitalfailure thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, a solid blue screen appears just before the crash.

iOS is turning into windoze :D

11. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

That's wild. I've had a few crashes and restarts but never a blue screen. That would freak me out to.

Did you restore it from a backup? Maybe a clean restore will do the trick

12. digitalfailure thread starter macrumors regular

The 5 s came with 7.0 on and the .1 and .2 updates were both done over wifi.

It seems to have been stable today since iTunes recovered it but 3G signal is still erratic.

13. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

My 5s has spontaneously rebooted when I was using it at least 4 times since I got it on September 25th. That is something I don't recall ever happening with my 4S in the nearly 2 years I used it. Hopefully Apple will have a fix coming soon.

From looking at my Settings-->General-->About-->Diagnostics and Usage-->Diagnostics and Usage Data The crashes seems to be from "Low Memory".

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Did you tell Siri you were going to try installing Android on it?

15. LiveWireless macrumors member

One crash while in Safari Apple logo screen on reboot, but everything was fine. I don't remember if there was a blue screen flash prior to the reboot. Definetly some bugs in iOS 7/Safari (7.0.1).

16. Kilo-9 macrumors member

This just happened to me tonight for the first time. I attempted to open a pic in the Facebook app...the screen went completely blue, then the phone restarted. It didn't go to the iTunes screen, it just restarted.

17. iAlphard macrumors regular

It looks like a defective ddr3 ram module, bring it to the store and get it replaced. If possible, demonstrate it at the store.

18. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Ouch, that is crazy! I have only had probs with the airplane toggle glitching, but never the blue screen of death! Sounds like a windows problem..ha

19. digitalfailure thread starter macrumors regular

It's far to random to recreate in a store visit :(

I've had 3 or 4 blue screens now (but no crash) but it's never from doing the same things with the phone.
    I often work away from home and if it dies when I can't get to iTunes I'm screwed :0