iPhone 5S... less attention to detail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by syd430, Sep 25, 2013.

1. syd430, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013

syd430 Guest

Has anyone else noticed that their space grey 5S screen doesn't blend as well with the black accents above and below the screen? . My iPhone 5 has a nice flush look whereas the screen on my 5S is quite a different shade to the top and bottom panels. It reminds me more of the pre-iphone 5 days where the screen shades were noticeably lighter. Obviously not a huge issue (yes I do in fact have bigger problems in my life), but I wonder if this is just Apple trying to save a few bucks on chemicals? I also know that it could just be that my 5S screen comes from a different manufacturer, so theres that too.

5 on the left, 5S on the right:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

3. AceMason macrumors regular

4. Chrsanthny5 macrumors regular

Maybe it's just due to the black-on-grey color palette. It could be extra attention to detail in that case ;)

5. bobright macrumors 601

And if I remember right weren't the first couple gens even noticeable like WAY more?? whatever this means

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I think your phone is radioactive. Better check your sieverts.

7. AceMason macrumors regular

When I was cracked the screen on my iPhone 4 and installed a cheap replacement screen, that's what it looked like ... lol.

8. syd430, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013

syd430 Guest

I'm thinking about going in to the Apple store and explaining that my 5S doesn't
    have enough blackening chemicals applied to the display. What do you think they will tell me?

Edit: Yes it was a joke

9. AceMason macrumors regular

Haha I feel like they'll look at you like you're crazy. You should go check if the iPhones on display are the same.

10. Merkie macrumors 68020

11. syd430 Guest

haha yeah I know, I was just joking so I can bump this thread up. And yeah I was thinknig of checking the Apple store models as well.

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You must have gotten a defective phone.

My screen is one black slab.

Attached Files:

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Why can't I upload more than noble photo from my iPad? Anyway.

Attached Files:

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Funny thing, my silver iPhone 5s has a darker screen than my gray iPhone 5s…

Either it's just the color playing visual tricks (white face makes screen look darker compared to black face) or they have different screen manufacturers and therefore slight variations in production. Neither scenario bothers me.

15. syd430 Guest

Put up some better pictures (still bad I know). Also figured out that the effect is more because the top/bottom accents are a darker black than on the 5, rather than the screen itself.

----------

Thats really weird because I figured out that the bezels/accents themselves are actually much darker on the 5S too, and accounts for most of the difference. Do you have a 5 to compare with?

16. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

That "space grey" looks like the color of the steel band around the iPhone 4 :rolleyes:

17. syd430 Guest

I think it's just the way the light picks up the chamfered edge from some angles, but yeah the phone pretty much "feels" like an iphone 4. It feels like I've gone back in time.

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Not anymore. I sold it to get the 5s. It is true though that the 5s's black part of the glass is a lot darker that the 5. Many reviews have stated that the 5's glass looks grey next to the 5s's.

If I take a photo in brighter light you see more of a contrast between the 5s's LCD and glass compared to the 5.

Have a closer look at your 5 is the tint on the LCD very dark brown? My 5's LCD tint was very dark brown, not black. The tint on my 5s is black rather than the very dark brown of my old 5.

19. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

It's by design.
    Mirrors the two-tone look of the back.
    ;)

20. syd430, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013

syd430 Guest

Ok i've figured it out...

The top and bottom inserts/bezels are much darker on the 5S, in fact the iphone 4,4S and 5 and iPad 4 all have exactly the same dark grey inserts. Only the 5S has solid black inserts.

The result is that under direct sunlight the inserts turn grey on every other Apple product, but remain black on the 5S. It's a shame, because it looks terrible when not in direct sunlight (imo) and I also preferred how the others look in direct light too.

iPhone 4, 5 and 5S (right) in direct sunlight:

[​IMG]

5 and 5S:

[​IMG]

21. Ballis macrumors 6502a

thats pretty bad. the flush look of the black is one of my top reasons to go with black in the first place. If thats what I can expect from the 5S, might aswell choose white or gold.

22. syd430 Guest

Yeah, it's funny because it has the exact opposite effect in direct sunlight. Gives the phone a flush look, wheres as the other phones don't retain that as seen in post #20. Then again how often do you use it in direct sunlight? Really wish they kept it like the iphone 5, but introduced the new colour on the sides and back.

23. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Wow the bezel looks way more black on 5s.

24. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I know what I would tell you but this is why we all pay at least an additional $100 for each phone so some can be so OCD about how our phone just looks.

How important is your phone to you compared to other things in your life right now.

25. syd430 Guest

Read my post after that, it was a joke. Calm down.

And if you read this thread carefully, it's not even about defects. It's just an observation about a change.