iPhone 5s "low signal" making up 37% of battery drainage?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ibis ghost, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ibis ghost macrumors member

Ever since I downloaded iOS 8 I've never seen my signal strength go over 3 dots. It rests between 2-3 dots mostly 3.

I open the new battery usage garage and it says my low signal is causing a good portion of my battery usage.

I live in a very large city with as far as I know great LTE coverage (Jacksonville, Florida) and travel to St. Louis a lot.

This phone was just replaced about 1.5 weeks ago. Does anyone else have issues with poor reception causing you battery to drain?

2. Ries macrumors 68000

Poor signal causes battery drain, no way around that. It has to up the power to the radio to send/receive data. How-ever if you're on wifi, the drainage is reduced significantly because it can send/receive data without having to fire up the radio to "yell" it to the cell tower.

At my work place I have 2-3 dots 3G and my phone is red glowing if I use data. With wifi on, no problems.

3. Solver macrumors 6502a

4. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Or this could simply mean that you haven't used a lot of other battery draining apps in the past 24 hours.

For example, if your battery life still shows more than 90% battery life with most of the time since the last charge spent on standby, then 37% of less than 10% does not amount to much actual usage. If "low signal" shows 100% of battery usage, AND your actual battery life shows 37% drain, then you might have something to worry about.