iPhone 5S LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

Hello,

It is my understanding that any iPhone 5S model contains the bands GSM+CDMA to work on any LTE network in the US, is that right? I looked at the frequencies supported on each model and it appears that each has the bands for the major US carriers, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T. If I buy, let's say, a Verizon 5S, will it work and be able to use LTE on the networks of the other 3 providers?

Thanks

2. KPOM macrumors G5

The Verizon iPhone 5s is unlocked and will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile's LTE networks with the proper SIM. However, it won't work on Sprint or another CDMA carrier because CDMA carriers provision phones based on the ESN rather than the SIM card. Likewise, an AT&T or T-Mobile phone won't work on Verizon's network. However, a full-priced device-only AT&T or T-Mobile phone will work each other's network if you swap out the SIM cards.

I don't think the carriers have roaming agreements with respect to each other's LTE networks, though (meaning you can't use your Verizon account to access AT&T's LTE data, for instance).