iPhone 5s Meetup - Twelve Oaks (Novi, MI)

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by johnmac59, Sep 12, 2013.

1. johnmac59 macrumors newbie

johnmac59

Is anyone planning to wait in line at Twelve Oaks? If so, what time are you getting there? I have always pre-ordered, so this waiting in line thing is new to me.

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Anyone have experience with waiting in line here at previous launches? There are at least three stores in the area (this, Somerset, Partridge Creek), and I am hoping to hit up the one that has historically had the shortest/fastest line.

3. BPMCH02 macrumors regular

Somerset is always where I camp out and it is usually insane (they are the busiest store in the metro area normally anyway). Last year I got there at 3:00am and was about 80th in line and before they even let us on to the mall property there were over 150 people in line...it was nuts.

----------

I actually just posted a thread about this, but I am going to go to an AT&T store this year (tear) because I have to do an upgrade swap with a number on my account and can't do that at the Apple Store...does anyone have any experience with lining up at AT&T stores in Michigan?

4. sparrow12 macrumors newbie

I am thinking about lining up here as well, which I also have never done before. I am really hoping that they let people wait indoors, which would be awesome.

I am currently waiting on a response from Twelve Oaks Security on how they plan to handle Apple customers, so when I hear back I'll post here.

If they don't allow indoor waiting, I'll probably be at Briarwood since I live in Ann Arbor-- but if they do, I am not sure what time I'll be heading over there. 11:00pm seems like a good time...but, again, I've never done this before so I have no idea.

:confused: Any thoughts? I am looking for a 32gb or 64gb silver 5S...

5. johnmac59 thread starter macrumors newbie

johnmac59

Thanks for doing the legwork and definitely report back.

I have never waited in line. Always pre-ordered, so this is new to me also. Twelve Oaks is the only location I am considering at this point, unless I wait at the local AT&T store.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I stood in line at Patridge Creek back when the 3GS launched. I arrived about 10 minutes before the store opened and waited about another 15 minutes before I made it inside to make the purchase.

That was several years ago obviously, so I don't know what it's like now or in recent years past.

7. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

So with you being the 80th in line, about what time did you end up getting your phone and leaving? Trying to determine if I will need a full half day off work or just a couple hours, etc.

Thanks!

8. BPMCH02 macrumors regular

I got out with my phone at about 8:30am...it's really fast

9. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Nice! I'm thinking I will be trying out the Somerset store then. Never been there for a launch day and as long as I get my phone rather early I'm in (before the rest of the USA starts hitting 8AM and thus takes down AT&T's systems).

10. johnmac59 thread starter macrumors newbie

johnmac59

I spoke to my local AT&T store and I am considering getting one from there, especially since there is rain in the forecast. That may change though, if they let us in the mall.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Did they advise that they would have them in store on Friday? That's what I am hoping for in my local AT&T store.

12. sparrow12, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

sparrow12 macrumors newbie

Spoke with Twelve Oaks Security.

They said that they had not yet met regarding specific procedures for this year, but he said that the way they usually run it is that customers are allowed to line up no earlier than 6:00am, and they generally play it by ear as to whether they will allow people to line up indoors or not.

He did mention that if it is as cold as it has been lately then they will likely be allowing people to wait inside.

Also, the door between Sears and Lord & Taylor (upstairs-- the door closest to Apple) is the door for customers to go to.

With this in mind, what time are you guys planning on going? I'd like to get some thoughts from those who have done this before...

If we get there before 6:00am...can they really do anything? I mean can they legitimately make us leave? Or do they just say that ahead of time, but won't actually care if we're there?

(Also-- for those considering Briarwood, I contacted them as well. Same story-- they'll open mall doors at 6:00am, they will ask that people don't show up until 6, and they said the door between Macy's and JCPenney is the place to head (by Panda Express))

13. johnmac59 thread starter macrumors newbie

johnmac59

They didn't advise of what time they will have them in store, but they said they will be opening at 8am. Based on what I know (my wife used to work for AT&T), they will have them that morning, as they usually get their shipment a day or 2 prior.

14. johnmac59 thread starter macrumors newbie

johnmac59

So, does anyone know when they are going out to lineup yet? I am still debating on whether or not I am going to AT&T, but leaning toward the Apple Store after reading about the inventory numbers. I may try to get there around 2 or 3am.

15. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Hmmm, I am still between doing either Somerset or Twelve Oaks. I am much closer to Somerset, but just read some not so exciting news on the Somerset thread...

Anyone heard any more from mall security at twelve oaks?

16. johnmac59 thread starter macrumors newbie

johnmac59

I haven't heard anything more from the mall, but I am going to head over there and if I have to hit up Denny's while I wait to be allowed to line up, then so be it.

17. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Haha. I used to work at the Petco that is no longer over there (many years ago). We got deliveries on Monday morning at 5AM, but the truck drivers were usually late on a regular basis. Denny's was always the best way to start the truck unloading days!

18. johnmac59 thread starter macrumors newbie

johnmac59

So, which way are you leaning? You going to hit up Twelve Oaks? I figure that it can't be any worse than Somerset.

19. johnmac59 thread starter macrumors newbie

johnmac59

I checked at AT&T right near me and they said they got a decent amount of phones, but only the Space Grey color. :mad: They also told me that they didn't get any 64GB versions. Finally, she told me that she was pretty sure that none of the AT&T Stores in the area got 64GB versions either.

Looks like I will be heading over to Twelve Oaks now. Thinking of heading over there around 2am.

20. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I sure hope Apple has 64GB... I'm still trying to decide between Twelve Oaks or Somerset. But currently leaning toward Twelve Oaks as I at least feel like less people will be there. but that could also mean lower stock...

21. johnmac59 thread starter macrumors newbie

johnmac59

What time are you heading out? Based on reading articles about the launches around the world, I am guessing that Apple will at least have a few of each model in all their stores. I keep tossing around when I want to leave, but it keeps getting earlier and earlier. Let me know if you are heading up to Twelve Oaks.

22. Rwsice9 macrumors newbie

Twelve oaks

I've been to Twelve Oaks for the 3G, 4, and 5. Each year they have handled it differently. Being that there are no preorders, I would assume they will handle it like they did last year. I showed up at 3am, parked and was promptly told by mall security that no one could be on mall premises until 6am. I ended up going to work, coming back at about 5:30, and parked in the mcdonalds parking lot until about 5:55. Then they directed us where to park, let us out of our cars and held us for a few minutes to inform us if anyone pushed, hit, kicked, etc anyone else, they would be arrested...not removed from the line, but arrested!

Anyhow, I ended up being about maybe 30-40th in line. We had to wait outside until I believe 6:30 or 7, then they let us in. The store employees came around about 7:30, asking which color/carrier we wanted and then handed out slips of paper that matched what they had in inventory so there were no surprises when we got up to the store. They opened at 8, and I had my phone in my hands, walked out if the mall at about 8:45.

If anyone wants to be "line buddies" or whatever lol.. Let me know. I'm probably going to head up there about 3:30 or 4 just in case they are letting people line up.

23. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

If you were 30th - 40th in line, how many people would you say there were in total when they finally let everyone on the premises to line up?

24. johnmac59 thread starter macrumors newbie

johnmac59

I am heading up there at about that time also. See you there!

25. Rwsice9 macrumors newbie

I'd say the entire initial rush of people right at 6 was maybe 70? There was probably at least 200 when they opened the store.