iPhone 5S: midnight PDT orders for in-store pickup versus Verizon storefronts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by exi, Sep 16, 2013.

1. exi macrumors 6502

VZW iPhone 5 here. Not due for upgrade until late 2014.

Still planning on snagging an iPhone 5S this Friday and will pay full price minus sale price of my current phone.

Anyone have any experiences with trying to purchase at midnight Pacific time through Verizon's website versus Apple for in-store pickup that day? I ask because the closest Apple store is 45 minutes one-way, so I *could* make the drive but wouldn't complain if I didn't have to.

Unsure as to whether there is any other benefit to purchasing from Apple versus a Verizon store.

2. bmwtech113 macrumors member

I just talked to an online Verizon rep. They said the option to pick up in store will be available at 12:01 PST on the 20th and that if it says you can pick up in store, then you are guaranteed to get your order on the 20th.

3. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I wouldn't trust anything a carrier customer rep told you over the phone. I would go into a Corporate Verizon store and talk to them about it. Even then, you are taking a chance. If you search these forums, you will find plenty of people who were told they would have a phone waiting only to be told "sorry, they're all gone"

4. christof macrumors 6502

Agreed: I don't trust the carriers.

I'm going to call my local Apple Retail Store the night before, hoping they've received confirmation that they'll be able to sell 5s full price the morning of 9/20.

If not, I'll order through Verizon's online site. Pre-order for 5c was available for full retail / month to month / no contract price on Verizon.com, not Apple.com.

5. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

I stopped by my local corporate Verizon store and they told me that if you want one you must come in and get one. They are not doing the pre-order and pick up in stores. Just wait in line or go later in the day and take your chances.

6. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

not true. they are avail full price on Apple.com and were that night too. Just click "iPhone 5C" from the App, not "Upgrade your iPhone".

Try it out, you can still do it on the App. once you get there it says you only qualify for full price and adds it to your cart.

7. christof macrumors 6502

Apple.com and the Apple Store app both don't work for me. I have three upgrade eligible lines.

From the Apple Store app, when I choose Upgrade This iPhone and enter my account information for the primary line, I only see the $99 (16GB) and $199 (32GB) pricing [when I tap see other pricing]. The same goes tor Apple.com.

If you're suggesting to tap "Buy iPhone Unlocked", that device only works for T-Mobile, not Verizon, according to the FAQ on Apple Store online.

8. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I wonder if any carrier stores will be open at midnight? (lol I know sounds crazy but possible? - quick google search shows some carriers opened their doors at midnight in launch of some smartphones)

9. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

Yep, if you are NOT eligible for an upgrade you can order full price from Apple. If you are eligible for the upgrade pricing, you have to buy from Verizon (or presumably in person at the Apple Store). If you dig thru the FAQs on Apples website it states that.

10. christof macrumors 6502

That makes sense. I do wish I could buy at full retail price through Apple Online. I'll cross my fingers for Apple Retail, but fear that I'll have to purchase from Verizon online.

The reason I'm buying full retail, even though I'm upgrade eligible, is to retain unlimited data.

11. wxman2003 Suspended

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot about that policy. I would have been on the wrong site at 1201 am!

12. StevenS2k5 macrumors newbie

I just talked with a Verizon customer service rep tonight and they said there will not be an option to pick up in store. The only way to get one Friday is to line up and hope they have enough stock. They did suggest I call my local store and ask about how many units they will have in stock.

13. DredPirateStorm macrumors member

DredPirateStorm

Wait, what? I've never heard that before. Can anyone else confirm this? I don't want to wait at the wrong site either.

14. cmjars macrumors 6502

It's not true you can do a Verizon upgrade through the Apple Store.

15. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

Did you read? Just click "iPhone 5C" from the App, not "Upgrade your iPhone".

16. ethanlee macrumors regular

Same, had a conflict of info between a Live Chat rep and a Verizon Corporate Store (via TalkTo). Would generally lean toward the Store because they'll actually be selling the phones that day... Live Chat has led me astray before, they'll do it again.

I just thought, "Screw this, I can wait a weekend for iPhone 5s..."

17. wxman2003, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

wxman2003 Suspended

Yes, you can do a verizon upgrade on Apple. However, if you are eligible for an upgrade, but want to pay full price for phone to keep unlimited data, you cant do it. You have 2 choices. Pay full price because you are not eligible for upgrade, or get subsidized price because you are eligible for upgrade and have your contract extended 2 years. If you want to keep unlimited data and you are currently month to month on Verizon, I think you have to buy from Verizon.

18. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

in-store pickup is not an option.