iPhone 5s noise coming from the top ??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lifecam, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Lifecam macrumors newbie

Hi,

It's my first iPhone , everything works great , camera and so
    But , there is something that bothers me a bit.
    when I put my phone on the table I can hear a little coming from the top of the phone.
    I hear it even more when I'm tapping the upper back of the phone.

It looks like its coming from the camera , but the camera and the autofocus works perfectly.

To the owners of the iPhone 5s , do you hear that rattle ? Is there something to do besides returning the phone ?
    I could get a phone with other defects :/

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Been that way since at least the 4S. It's the sensors in the camera - they move, and will rattle slightly when the device moves.

Your phone is fine.

3. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Yes my phone does this, it's definitely around the camera area too. I'm just gonna see how it goes, my phone is working 100% perfectly. Plus I have a year to take it back to apple when they should finally have replacement stock in.

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Do a search and you will find hundreds of posts on this. All is OK.

5. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

It is the camera lens. All iphones have that and it is normal.

6. Lifecam thread starter macrumors newbie

Whaoo , have to admit your answers surprises me :cool:
    So there is no need to be too careful when I put the phone on the table ( I have a case ). Even if it does this noise , it won't damage the camera ?

It's strange that Apple didn't try to work on that "thing" , dont ya think ?

----------

It's just that I've hold friends IP4/4S and even 5 , and never really noticed that.
    Perhaps simply because it wasn't MY phone ...

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No, there is nothing to be concerned about. There's nothing to work on - that part needs to be somewhat loose because it needs to be able to move.

My 4S did it, as does my 5. There are tons of threads on this. No issue, just use your phone as normal.

8. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

Yes, it's normal. My 4S and 5 did it too.

Some are reporting a loose power button rattling, but your's sounds like it's just the camera lens. Notice when you activate the camera, the rattle goes away.

9. Lifecam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it seems you are right , I cant hear rattle when I block the autofocus.
    So it's ok , but it's still something on which Apple should work :apple:

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

As I mentioned earlier - what is there to work on? The sensor needs to be loose so that it can move freely as needed. If there was no rattle - that would mean the sensor was not loose - and therefore would not work correctly.

11. Lifecam thread starter macrumors newbie

Well , I didn't hear that sound on ...for example sony Xperia Series
    And they do have autofocus too

12. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Only IPhones make that noise as far as i'm aware.

13. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

sony obviously has better QC for their own devices than for the cameras they supply for the iPhone!! :D

kidding aside, it's probably just a design difference... I was paranoid about this too but (and I say this having "owned" multiple individual handsets between 4s and 5s) ....they all do it. Just to different degrees. It's 100% normal for the iPhone. It's hard to come to terms with that -- I know.... but it's how it is.

14. elemenop27 macrumors newbie

The rattle coming from the phone is not the camera and has absolutely nothing to do with the camera. It is the power/lock button. It has been loose for iPhones in the past but never as loose as it is for the 5S. Every 5S I have seen has an extra loose power button. Mine does, each 5S on display at the Apple store, and even the replacement a genius was going to give me (I didn't take it for that reason). If you place your finger gently on the power button and shake the rattle should be gone. If it is not, check to see if you are on silent mode, the toggle switch can rattle as well (this is the case for my 5S as well when silent is on i.e. you can see the red line). If you place your finger on the power button and silent switch and still here a rattle, then maybe it is the camera as so many like to suggest.

It doesn't seem natural that such a well designed piece of equipment would have such a simple flaw. The rattle makes the vibration on the phone sound cheap and it can be picked up in videos as well. If there is a specific reason that either button is like this then Apple should clue us in otherwise it just shows poor QC. Personally, I will hold out for awhile to see if this issue is fixed and then go replace my phone. Although the phone works fine in all other aspects, it is enough of an issue to bother me and warrant a fix/replacement. I always notice it, but then again I am a very detail oriented person.

15. EricJD macrumors regular

It's the camera. One of the lens elements is free-floating to aid with image stabilization. Try this: Open the camera app and start lightly tapping on the upper back of the phone. While you're doing this, tap once somewhere on the screen to initiate tap-to-focus. You should hear the rattling sound change slightly as it's focusing.

16. elemenop27 macrumors newbie

Nope, I've tried this before just to make sure. Not the reason. It is primarily the power button and in my case the silent switch as well. Gently placing my finger on the power button when my phone is in non-silent (silent switch off, no red line visible) eliminates all rattle. If it was the camera, I would still hear a rattle. This was the case for every 5S I tried in the Apple store and the replacement I rejected. If you haven't actually played around with the 5S power button compared to a 5 or 4S you may not fully grasp how much looser it is this time around. I took my phone around to my coworkers who have the previous phones and their power buttons rattle a little (some none at all) but overall feel like they are much more snug in the case fitting. Believe me, I wish it was the camera, because then at least I would feel like there really wasn't much that could be done.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Just tried this, I still hear a rattle on the 4S, 5 and 5S models I have access to. It's the camera.

How you managed to actually hear the rattle inside the din of an Apple store is a feat I'd like to see.

18. elemenop27 macrumors newbie

Ok I went into a quiet room just now, finger on both buttons, shake, and I admit I do hear the faintest of rattles, most likely the camera. I would have never picked this up under normal circumstances though. The main noise is still coming from the power button. If you have someone call a 5S on vibrate you can hear the difference in sound by putting your finger on the button and off repeatedly.

I agree it is loud as hell in there, but honestly the power button rattle is that obtrusive that you can still hear it there. I went in about 30min before close so it was not as crowded.

19. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I put my finger on the power button, shook my phone, still hear the rattle. Same with my fiancées 4S. It's the camera.

A while back, one of those tear down sites did a nice write up on the design of the camera and why it rattles like that..gotta find that again.

20. elemenop27 macrumors newbie

Yeah if you can find a link please post it. Did you also have a finger on the silent switch too? because mine rattles when switched to silent mode.

I stand by my convictions that at least in my case it is my power button and silent switch. As I mentioned before, I took it to the genius bar, he agreed that in fact both of the buttons were loose, and not just by shaking, but to the touch as well. In his opinion they shouldn't be, he mentioned nothing about the camera.

21. Lifecam thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps for you it's both , camera and buttons

For me it's definitely the camera as I still have the rattle when I hold the buttons or when I have my case
    My buttons are not loose anyway

It's strange there is so little complaint on the camera rattle if it does it on every iPhone

22. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Because its normal. Any of my phones I tap I get a rattling noise from the camera. The xperia phones will do it as well.

23. Lifecam thread starter macrumors newbie

But with the iPhone it does it even when I put the phone on a table , I mean it's sensitive...

Do you hear that rattle when you simply put your phone on hard surface ?

24. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I hear it but it doesn't bother me as I know nothing is wrong with the phone.

25. CBSubliminal macrumors 6502

CBSubliminal

It's the power button. Mine does this and so
    does all the 5s displays at my local apple store. It's not no camera.