Iphone 5S on Verizon will it work on gsm

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corry20, Sep 10, 2013.

1. corry20 macrumors regular

Will I be able to get LTE on Gsm networks?I go to Canada and was wondering if Verizon customers can finally get LTE in Canada and this one is unlocked like the last one?

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

There will be two US versions:
    - One with LTE bands for ATT, Verizon, and Tmobile
    - One with LTE bands for Sprint, and Softbank (japan company who owns Sprint)

It's up to you to figure out which LTE bands you need when traveling.

3. Jades macrumors 6502

Yes Verizon model will have the correct bands this time

4. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

The latest iPhone 5 Verizon version is unlocked by default, I guess the iPhone 5S from Verizon will be the same.

iPhone 5S Specs

5. corry20 thread starter macrumors regular

That is great news.I wanted LTE because I travel to Canada and having unlocked is great Because it is so much cheaper to put a Canadian sim card in.Thanks.

6. skimcpip macrumors regular

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I think you're in luck.

7. s54 macrumors regular

This is exactly what I wanted to know and so far I'm disappointed.

Apple's website states:

So, is it correct to assume that Verizon's iPhone 5S will not come unlocked like the iPhone 5 did?

Some people may not care, but this is a big deal to me and others. Let me put things in perspective. I toured Europe mid August and just returned. I visited 6 countries - Croatia, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Poland, and Czech Republic - and drove through several others. Suffice to say, my Verizon iPhone 5 was incredibly reliable and efficient. I had great reception literally everywhere, which included 3G.

On the contrary, two of my friends with AT&T iPhone 5's had much poorer reception almost everywhere we went. Or, worse yet, no reception at all when I had nearly full bars. We couldn't explain it. Likewise, sometimes they had signal and could dial out, but their data wouldn't work, despite having all the AT&T global features enabled. Their AT&T iPhone 5's were very spotty in Europe whereas my Verizon iPhone 5 was seriously as reliable as one can wish for.

I found this somewhat surprising given that both AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5's were obviously in GSM mode at the same time and place. Anyway, midway through the trip I tried out several local SIM cards and they all worked on my Verizon iPhone 5.

My point is that global capabilities are very important to me and others. I wish someone could confirm two things:

(1) Will the Verizon iPhone 5S come unlocked?
    (2) Will the Verizon iPhone 5S support as many (or more) bands as the Verizon iPhone 5?

8. darster Suspended

The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA-based carriers, including Sprint and Verizon Wireless.

Read your highlighted post again. Its' correct that the unlocked iphone 5S will not work with Verizon because Verizon uses CDMA. It does not say, the Verizon iphone will not work with GSM carriers. The Verizon iphone will not work on LTE with AT&T and T-moble, but it doesnt say it wont work on 3G with those carriers because it will include the GSM bands and European LTE and GSM bands. We won't know for sure until the 20th. That's why I am in no rush to buy day 1.

9. corry20 thread starter macrumors regular

I will contact Verizon to make sure it's unlocked because it is important for me because I go to Canada.I'm switching from Sprint I had a unlocked 4S took it to Toronto and the 3g speeds are super fast up in Toronto.Where I live I don't even get data and really poor voice with Sprint so I have talked with some Verizon customers and they say they don't have a issue and they have LTE in my area.

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I completely agree. I will be abroad for the next few years, I need the Verizon 5S to have those same capabilities.

But I'm sure it will. I don't see any reason to change this now.

11. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I'm with you. I have AT&T and my iPhone 4 is out of contract and unlocked. It's time for a new phone, but with all the European travel I do, I absolutely need to be able to insert a local SIM and use it. I have spoken with AT&T and their solution is to buy an unlocked iPhone 5S. AT&T has been good to me and I have grandfathered data, but if Verizon is unlocked for a European SIM, I will buy a Verizon iPhone 5s on a contract rather than pay double for the 'privilege' of keeping AT&T.

I need this information as well. Please let us know when you find out if the Verizon iPhone's SIM slot is unlocked for European SIMs. BTW, I specifically need German, Austrian, and Croatian SIMs for approximately 6 months of the upcoming year, but I will be keeping my US voice and data plan for my return visits. My US home has coverage for only AT&T or Verizon, not T-mobile or Sprint. I'm in a gentrified rural area.

What worries me is on the site https://static.ips.apple.com.edgekey.net/ipa_preauth/content/catalog/en_US/index.html

It states:iPhone is configured to work only with the wireless services of Verizon Wireless.

12. geokra macrumors newbie

I've been wondering about the same thing, and more...

My wife and I each have an iPhone 4s with Verizon that is eligible for an upgrade, so we'd like to go for the 5s. BUT, we may move to Norway relatively soon. If that happens, we may also do an extensive amount of traveling in Asia beforehand, so we want phones that will work in: Norway (essential); Europe (almost essential); and Asia (nice to have, but not a deal breaker).

My understanding of the Verizon iPhone 5s is that it has the correct LTE channels for use in Norway and much of Europe: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I also assume that it has the capabilities of operating on a GSM network in Norway and Europe, just like the Verizon iPhone 5 did. Is there any reason this would have changed?

My understanding of the Verizon iPhone 5 is that it was unlocked for all of this out of the box. There seems to be no consensus on whether the 5s will be unlocked in the same way. If it is unlocked out of the box, my next question is moot, but...

If we do move to Norway, it will be semi-permanent, so we would (I assume) want to break our contract with Verizon, which is not a problem. The $350 (minus $10 for each month of the contract that is fulfilled) fee is less than the extra $450 that we'd spend for the unlocked GSM iPhone. Plus, we would prefer to have the Verizon version in case we don't move to Norway, or if we end up coming back and using the 5s in the US.

So, if we are forced to break our contract and pay the $350ish to cancel, will Verizon unlock our phone then? Do they have any choice, legally speaking?

Any tips would be much appreciated, but perhaps I will need to wait and talk with someone at Verizon.

Thanks, Geoff

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. Read up again on why the 5 was unlocked. Has anything changed since then with respect to that reason? Don't assume when the facts are out there.

The unlocked iPhone sold by Apple != the Verizon iPhone. The former won't work with Verizon or Sprint because they won't activate them. That has nothing to do with the latter.

14. keitarou macrumors 6502

Verizon iPhone has to be unlocked because of a FCC rule that was put on Verizon to use the 700 mhz frequency. It will be unlocked for all GSM carriers.

The reason why apple says the unlocked version being sold by Apple isn't compatible with Verizon is because it's not set up to use CDMA networks which Verizon uses. Only the iPhone sold as Verizon is the one that you can use on Verizon. Factory unlocked is only for GSM carriers.

But again, Verizon version of the iPhone will allow you to use GSM sims since it will come factory unlocked.

15. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Do we have confirmation of this for the 5s or is it speculation on your part based on past events?

I'm hoping you are right, but a lot hangs on this confirmation for me.

16. seecoolguy macrumors regular

seecoolguy

This is what I'm hoping for... I want to get a Verizon iPhone but when I travel my company makes user of an AT&T sims, I would like to swap it out for that functionality

17. keitarou macrumors 6502

This is why I am saying what I said.

The main reason for the unlocked SIM card slot appears to be FCC network access requirements for Block C, the 700 MHz spectrum that Verizon uses for its LTE network. According to the FCC's CFR Title 47 Part 27.16 paragraph (e)
    :
    (e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.

18. Satnam1989, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Well the Sprint one supports same LTE bands, only difference is that Sprint iPhone 5S/5C have the 1-2 additional bands required for Sprint LTE, besides that the phones are the exact same, however best bet for those not going to be using sprint is the Verizon iPhone 5C/5S as this truly gives you options and making it the ULTIMATE WORLDPHONE....

being able to use:

3G/4G/LTE on Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and most of the international carriers LTE around the world....and access 2G/3G/4G on just about all carriers worldwide as well.

----------

In simple form if you were to buy the Verizon iPhone 5C/5S, you are able to access 3G/4G and majority of the LTE networks around the world....bonus..you can access Verizon CDMA + LTE in USA. Only network you will not be able to access in the world will be Sprint USA and maybe a few other CDMA networks.

19. mashinhead macrumors 68020

as i remember it the last time they did this you could put a gsm sim in there and it would work but it wouldn't do voice and data at the same time.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If it doesn't come already unlocked ask Verizon to unlock it before you cancel the contract, as long as your account is in good standing and has been around for at least 60 days.

If it is running on a GSM network it can do voice and data at the same time as long as you have a 3G connection. LTE can't do voice right now so even if you are running a 5 or 5S that was bought for a GSM network it will drop down to 3G, also if you are somewhere where it is still EDGE no phone can do voice and data at the same time. But the hardware in the Verizon and AT&T or factory unlocked phone is exactly the same, the only reason non verizon phones won't work on verizon is verizon refuses to activate phones that were not initially sold for its network.

21. mashinhead macrumors 68020

So I'm really confused about this issue.

I've read a lot of threads on this and this is what I'm piecing together.

One model that covers Verizon, ATT, Tmo. However only the Verizon one is fully unlocked and can work on all three providers, with Voice and Data at the same time on GSM. That ATT and Tmo models won't work on Verizon? Even though the T-mobile one is fully unlocked? Is that correct?

So if I want a model that is fully unlocked, that will work worldwide on CDMA or GSM I need to get on a contract free Verizon phone?

Are all contract free phones fully unlocked?

22. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Will we be able to do voice and data simultaneously now with Verizon iPhone 5s :confused:

23. keitarou macrumors 6502

No. According to Apple, data and voice won't work on 5S on Verizon.

----------

No. Just because you buy a Sprint compatible iPhone 5S full price without a contract, doesn't mean it will be fully unlocked.

Again, Verizon iphone is the only CDMA phone that comes GSM unlocked. I don't know about using it on other CDMA networks outside of US. Even this version of the phone won't work on Sprint which is CDMA.

24. ski2moro macrumors 6502

AFAIK, you could be correct. As far as the law you quoted, it seems to be true. It was true for the iPhone 5. Nothing I have seen if Proof of this in the iPhone 5s.

However, until I read this information in something other than your posts, I do not know this for Truth.

Find an Apple source or a Verizon source for me.

25. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I see no reason for it to change. And I'm someone who will be doing heavy traveling internationally with this thing.