iphone 5s order advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jps1012, Sep 18, 2013.

1. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I am debating waking up at 3 am and ordering online or trying stop buy the apple store friday night in hopes to snag one. I live in Manhattan so I can try a bunch of stores. My fear is they will be sold out and then if I order online that night it will be a month wait. What do you guys think? thanks

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd just order online and wait rather than waste time trying several different stores.

3. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

The thing with online i am worried about is that I don't know when it will be sent and probably wouldn't be home to sign for it. In the past I preordered and took off launch day to sign for the package. I was annoyed they didnt have preorders this year.

4. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Hit and miss....

You have three choices, and they are phoning it in, and even if the first batch is depleted, you can still get one on another batch which of course will take longer to receive, but is the most convenient, but the time factor means loosing some sleep, or going to the store early, and hoping you will not be met with a long line, or calling in a Carrier. I to will be getting up at 3 AM, and trying that method, and will never go to an Apple store early for just a phone. Not that important.

I want to purchase the AppleCare + as well, and the Apple store online is just another plus for me over a Carrier that will not give you this, not to mention they have the 30 day return policy. Carriers only give you 14 days.

5. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

The Manhattan stores are continually replenished. If you can't snag a phone online with a reasonable delivery time, maybe going on Saturday or Sunday AM is a good bet. I recommend the West 14th St Store as it is typically the least crowded.

6. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

thanks

----------

Btw I walked past the 5th ave store Sunday night and there were idiots camping out [​IMG]

7. deeddawg, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

deeddawg macrumors 604

If it's shipped Fedex, after the first delivery attempt you can have Fedex reroute it to a Fedex/Kinkos store for your to pick up at your convenience the following day.

Perhaps not optimal, but handy for those who can't easily be at home for delivery.

Edit: On further thought I don't know if they'll do this for the phone order since at least AT&T requires the shipment to go to your wireless billing address. I'd think the delivery attempt would satisfy the requirement and you can then reroute delivery, but cannot say for sure in this specific instance. I have used the Kinkos pickup for other orders requiring signature, but not for a phone.

8. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

That's a good idea. If I order online 3 am, and then find one in the store can i cancel the online one?

9. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

You can just print out/sign a release form from fedex/UPS and leave it at your door for the delivery guy. I've done this every iphone release and never an issue.

10. Zebulon76 macrumors member

Sorry to use this topic, but I have a similar question. If I ship the phone to a business address (hotel) will they deliver the parcel if the hotel sign for it (and not me personally) ?

11. wilycoder macrumors 6502

If OP has a job the iphone can be delivered to his/her workplace.

12. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

ahhh very good idea

13. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

iam wondering the same thing. i have about 3-4 apple stores, around 10 best buy/bestbuy mobile stores, and around 5 vow corporate stores near me. so i might just go somewhere and wait i think i have a good shot

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes... but its risky. What if your order goes into shipping status and you can't cancel it? Or what if it takes a day or so to reset your upgrade eligibility?

Fine if you're secure in letting the phone sit on your doorstep until you get home, but that's not for everyone. If you get home and the delivered phone is gone you're screwed.

AT&T at least requires shipments to your wireless billing address. If the hotel is that address, then I imagine the signature by the receiving agent would be fine.

15. CoriG macrumors 6502

BUT if you order from Apple you can ship anywhere you want. ATT billing address only matters if you are ordering from ATT or a 3rd party vendor

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

Sorry, but that's just not true. Maybe it was in the past, but Apple.com is requiring it go to your wireless billing address now based on a mock order I tried for a 5c.

See my post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17918854&postcount=8

17. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Yes, I do believe they will let the hotel sign for it.

18. Zebulon76, Sep 18, 2013

Zebulon76 macrumors member

I did a dummy order of a 5C for a T-mobile version sim free, and even If I log in with my Apple account which isn't located in the US, I was able to go until the paiement process step.

EDIT :I launch a chat with Apple and they are saying that shipment address must match with the billing address. I guess the only way to know for sure will be to order the 5S the 20th.

Thanks jonfarr for your confirmation

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Then it likely depends on carrier policy, and ordering an unlocked sim-free version is probably going to have fewer restrictions than an AT&T upgrade version for instance.

In times past, non-Apple orders, I've called my credit card company and added my work address as an alternate valid address prior to ordering something that had restricted shipping. I'm sure this would vary between card companies, but it would be worth a phone call to your issuer.

20. CoriG, Sep 18, 2013

CoriG macrumors 6502

They must have changed the policy in the past 2 days because now the csr told me the addresses must match. my bad!

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

No worries - it may also be carrier specific, and I believe it only applies to phones. Other parts of an order can apparently ship elsewhere.