iPhone 5S overheating/hotter than iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roken, Sep 30, 2013.

1. roken macrumors regular

roken

My iPhone 5s seems to get a lot hotter doing normal tasks, i.e. Safari, Facebook, Camera (NOT gaming) etc, than what was the norm with any of my previous iPhone 5 devices. Using a 64gb Gold, no case just a Sena slim sleeve when in pocket.

Wanted to get some general consensus on whether anyone else is also suffering from a phone getting too warm too quickly?

Or is this a case of OCD with a new handset?

Thanks all! :)

2. Poly macrumors 6502

Yeah i had a 4S before and the 5S gets pretty hot while doing standard tasks like browsing safari with cellular network.

3. roken thread starter macrumors regular

roken

Thinking I should have made this a poll now. Do you find it uncomfortable? Getting sweaty hands because of it?

It's normal for it to get warm with videos, bluetooth music, gaming, charging even: but day to day tasks, it should really remain neutral as the iPhone 5 always has.

I've booked an appointment this week to get the Genius Bar's view on it.

4. Poly macrumors 6502

No not uncomfortably warm....my MacbookAir gets uncomfortably warm when i play WoW from time to time but the 5S jsut gets a bit warm. And yes, fingers get sweaty from it.

5. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Yes, I've noticed my 5s at times runs hotter than my 5 did (like when downloading large apps over WiFi). I wouldn't say it's a real major issue or problem, though.

6. Caliact macrumors newbie

Mine has the same issue, it gets noticeably warm even during very light tasks. I brought it into the genius bar and they couldn't find anything wrong in the diagnostic, but their test only picks something up if the phone gets so hot that it needs to shut itself down.

I think I'm just going to bring it back in and exchange it for a new model, if for no other reason than peace of mind. If I still have the same issue than so be it, but I'd rather be sure.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Only time mine has gotten warm is during Infinity Blade III, which is expected though.

I know prolonged camera use can also cause the SoC to get warmer.

8. roken thread starter macrumors regular

roken

This is what i'm planning can't see any other route, if the new handset is the same, then will have to live with it.

As you say, while using a highly intensive app like Infinity Blade III this is perfectly normal, the iPhone 5 would also heat up during such games.

The issue some of us are facing is that this same rapid increase of heat is happening in light daily tasks like iMessage, Safari over wifi, Facebook, brief camera shots.

I wonder if having the background parallax on is also contributing? Doubt it.

9. Caliact macrumors newbie

Just wanted to leave an update, today I exchanged out my phone at the apple store for a new model. Overall it's noticeably better, happy I took the time to do it. Also, the folks at the apple store were great about switching it out for me, no issues or push back at all.

10. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

Mine gets quite warm borderline hot. Unpleasant but not unusable. It's really not a big deal unless the phone starts restarting or has its functionality otherwise affected.

11. fortheus macrumors regular

Mine gets hot (no warning but really hot) when I play asphalt 7 for around 10 minutes and during face time more than 10 minutes. I stopped when it's hot like that, not good for battery life.

What is it like with iphone 5?

12. dlondon macrumors regular

Mine was hot when I first starting and was restoring. It's fine now it's down all the updates etc. I have mine in the Apple case now.

13. roken thread starter macrumors regular

roken

Great to hear! Have an appointment set up on Thursday, will report back.

Playing a game like Asphalt will overheat any iPhone, 5 included. The issue here is overheating in "normal" tasks.

14. roken thread starter macrumors regular

roken

Having another issue, not sure if it's connected, the 5S randomly turns itself off when in my pocket...?!