iPhone 5s Overheating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JohnnyDJunior, Sep 21, 2013.

1. JohnnyDJunior macrumors regular

Has anyone noticed the back of the phone is Overheating

I have owned 3 iPhone 5s but this is different maybe its just mine.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is the iPhone actually stating that it is too hot and needs to cool down? If not, it isn't overheating and is working as designed.

3. soch macrumors member

super hot

Had the same issue.

- I was running on low battery. So I killed all the apps and put 5S to sleep with 19% battery.

- After a while an alert popup of a low battery sign of 10% came. I forgot to hit OK.

- After a few minutes when I picked up the 5S it was terribly hot with battery showing 1%. I quickly turned off the phone and let it cool.

It would be good if this thread is not hijacked by people not seeing the issue and giving lame suggestions.

The one time location checking (GPRS) starts the GPS for a second or two and then turns it off. That won't cause the massive battery drain.

AND you are not alone:https://discussions.apple.com/message/23069075#23069075

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

GPRS has nothing to do with locating your device. It's a data packet service that is the predecessor to EDGE. It's speeds are roughly that of dial up.

5. smurfy2013 macrumors newbie

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2101

"When using the device or charging the battery, it is normal for it to get warm. The exterior of the device functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the device to the cooler air outside."

So I guess it comes down to the exact specifics in the case, as just saying getting warm on back is, as shown above, expected behaviour

6. solo118 macrumors 65816

I noticed it randomly getting really hot (especially through the case)

I did a reset, and it went away. Maybe something in my exchange mail was keeping something going? Who knows but glad it went away

7. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Why are you stating that the phone is overheating?
    It is normal for electronic components to eventually get hot with use. If you believe you have a faulty unit, consider a trip to an Apple Store.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I noticed this with mine. I just saw that mail wasn't syncing with the cloud and while checking it dropped a few % points and got pretty hot. Second time this has happened.

9. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Mine got hot maybe day 2 but has been normal since. Probably something running in the background...

10. cchunk macrumors 6502

I have gotten a warning saying that the iphone couldnt be used because it was too hot and exceeded the temperature for it to function properly(was inside my pocket while driving and sun was beating down). so unless you get that warning, it is normal. mine gets warm too when its low and im charging while using it

11. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

The only time I noticed my 5S being hot was when I restored my backup. Since then, it has been fine. What tasks are you running when you find it to be hot?

12. notemused macrumors newbie

iPhone 5S overheating - yes! Fire

I received my new iPhone 5s on a Thursday and set it up. Used it, it would get hot. I've had the 3GS, 4, and 4s models, all great phones. Didn't get hot. The second day of using my iPhone 5s it got very, very hot and screen went black then random codes started scrolling then stuck on (it was NOT plugged into charger and was fully charged). I couldn't get phone to turn off. Smelled something.....burning! The phone... Long story short, the phone crackled and caught fire. I put fire out but obviously it doesn't work. I contacted APPLE support immediately and have been working on the issue for six days now. No resolution. Not sure why I'm not able to return/replace. I had my iPad turned on at the time so quickly took photos and short video of event. My support person is very nice however and assures me they are looking into the issue BUT I keep asking, will I get a replacement shipped soon? I believe in the product, I understand there will be issues and kinks to work out and I still want the iPhone 5s I paid for. The same model, size color, nothing more, nothing less. But I'm SOOOOOOO frustrated. I have NO phone. So I depend on my iPad and emails now on this day six. Needless to say, when I read a post that someone's iPhone is very hot I take notice.:(

13. Randulf macrumors newbie