Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Hi guys,

As per title really - my daughter's iPhone 5S says that the Photo Library is taking up 1.5Gb even though it's empty (reported in General -> Usage).

When plugged into iTunes it said the same. There were 5 photos in there so we deleted those, and then it basically moved that 1.5Gb block from "Photos" to "Other".

Any tips on how we can reclaim it?

Thanks!

Markrose

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Do you have photo stream enabled? Check the storage usage for photo stream, also found under photos in General>Usage.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
No - sorry should have mentioned that. All Photo Stream and iCloud Photo things are turned off and show as taking 0 bytes. Only Photo Library is showing as taking up space.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
two possible answers but not the only answers

1. itunes is simply telling you that you WILL have 1.5 gigs when you click on apply or sync

2. iOS 8 now has its own recycle bin for photos.

photos -> albums -> recently deleted

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Thanks for the response, but sadly these aren't the cause either.

We've tried Syncing a few times and the recently deleted is empty.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the response, but sadly these aren't the cause either.

We've tried Syncing a few times and the recently deleted is empty.

If she has sent or received any photos in Messages, those count. In each text thread, hit details on the top right. In that panel (scroll down) you'll find any attachments sent or received including photos and videos. She can delete the whole thread to delete the pictures, or delete each individually by holding on the picture until the options appear, then hit delete.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Sadly this is also not the case. She has cleared all text messages - none at all remaining.

dfuhrmann

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2014
Same Issue

My Daughters phone has the same issue. 2.1 gigs of space taken. No Photo's anywhere. Spent 2 hours with Apple support and no answers. Any help will be appreciated.

bobthebob

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
i have the exact same issue.

well - more or less - 32 photos = 1.5gb

what the hell Apple??

this is a big chunk of my storage on a 16gb phone...

are you also running 8.1.2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.