iPhone 5S power button travel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chraos, Sep 25, 2013.

1. chraos macrumors member

anyone else feel the travel on their iPhone 5S's power button is less than previous models? for those unfamiliar, what I mean by travel is, does it seem like the power button sits lower inside the top of the phone and does not go in as far as previous versions? I know this sounds like nitpicking but I haven't had a chance to go to my Apple Store and check the display models to see if this is normal...I feel like the button requires extra pressure and sometimes feels like it doesn't have that satisfying "click" to it. If this the case with all the new 5S's, then maybe this is a more robust design aimed at alleviating the previous power button issues?

2. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

The Sleep/Wake button on my iPhone 5s seems to have a pretty good click to it. Even more so than the refurbished 2 week old iPhone 4s that I also have. There is no difficulty in pressing the button on the 5s and it has a satisfying click IMO. It is possible you have a defective button.

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I am not trying to be mean but you need to just relax and enjoy your phone. If the button works, it works. Apple can not make every button exactly the same but they will warrant that it works.

4. roccobladr macrumors 6502

I'm coming from a 4s that has a broken power button so I'm not gonna complain lol but it does feel a little looser and there have been many threads on it.

My advice: use it as you normally would. If it gets worse and even breaks within the warranty period, take it back!

5. chraos thread starter macrumors member

damn, now I know how all those people feel when they post a similar question regarding their phones. im sorry for making a valid inquiry on a ~$700 piece of equipment. I have never asked a question regarding a hardware issue before, but I should have known I would get at least one of this type of response. My button works sure, but if the travel is far less than other phones, then there is a chance it could fail. I would rather have it exchanged now instead of dealing with it later. I know not every button is the same..the same way each individual piece of top and bottom glass on the back of every 5/5S is different for each phone, the same way some home buttons may be slightly rotated, the same way some screens are warmer than others. I wasn't posting this to b1tch about the quality of apple products. I just asked a valid question. Now I know to never do this again and instead wait it out and go to the Apple store and see how different mine is compared to all the others which more than likely each have their own amount of travel and play.....thanks for nothing....and thanks to everyone else who just provided straight up data for me so I have an idea if my button is within spec.

6. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

You are welcome:p

7. chraos thread starter macrumors member

i made an apt. and stopped by my Apple store today and guess what? it turns out my power button WAS considered defective and I received a replacement today.....so now I will relax and enjoy my phone that is within the normal specs of a mass produced Apple product...had I taken your advice, that button would have eventually pushed in and stayed in....so again, thanks for nothing :)

8. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Good. Your right, you paid a lot of money for that phone and Apple enjoys quite a profit and each one they sell so it better be perfect. If something doesn't seem right you definitely should check to be sure, especially now when it is still under warranty.

Speaking of buttons and clicking. Can you check the earpods that came with your 5s? Do both buttons click on the control that is on the cord? The - button on mine clicks as does the center "pause" button, but the + button feels mushy and doesn't click.

9. int3rnal macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem on my 5S except it's the volume down button. It's hard to tell if you're actually pressing the button yet the top one seems fine. I've got an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow, I'm hoping they have a replacement in stock.

10. trevorplease macrumors regular

my power button seems a little lower also, and i have one dead pixel, is that enough to warrant an exchange?

11. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

This prove what a great company Apple is when the are trying to keep a "customer" happy. Also why our phones are so expensive. :p

12. chraos thread starter macrumors member

thank you, completely agree...just checked my ear pods. all 3 buttons seem to have the same feel to me. I would just run down to your nearest Apple Store and have them exchanged. With earpods and lightning cables they usually swap them out if there is even a slight suspicion that a component of it is defective...no appointment necessary, i have seen people walk and have their earpods exchanged on the spot.

----------

Indeed you are right. For the most part, Apple really does stand behind their products, especially their brand new flagship products. Quick and pleasant experience with the exchange for me.

13. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I went to the Genius Bar for the same thing tonight, too. I was turned away. The guy didn't think there was enough of a problem.

I'm going back tomorrow, but with no appointment. If you have a problem with your new phone, and you're within the first 14 days since sale, just walk into an Apple Store and tell a sales person. They won't care whether or not they think there is a problem with the phone, they just want you to be happy. Not the case with the geniuses, or at least the one that I've got.

If you just paid a lot of money for a phone, which we all have, you get to decide what perfect is to you. Simple as that.

----------

Absolutely.

14. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Not really. Letting the customer decide what is "perfect for them" gives waaaaaaay too much leeway and is a disaster waiting to happen.

Personally I applaud companies that put their foot down and tell the OCD customers to go shove it over minute differences that they blow out of proportion.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Some pals of mine with 5Ss are getting together next week to hold a 5S Button Depth symposium. We're calling it the Button Symposium, or "BS" for short.

We'll be discussing and measuring the current buttons vs previous models, and Leonard, our treasurer, has gotten hold of a portable electron microscope for some real fun.

There will be soda and punch. No funny stuff! Heh. There will also be a raffle. First prize is a sealed Myst II CD-ROM and a $1 coupon for any flavor Chapstick.

If anyone wants to join us, just send $2.75 in a self addressed stamped envelope to the Springfield Public Library, c/o BS, Att: Leonard.

16. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I disagree. I'm paying for this product, and if I'm not 100% happy with it then I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed ask for perfection.

----------

I agree that these little things shouldn't be blown out of proportion as they sometimes are, but this topic certainly isn't blowing it out of proportion. It's bringing up a potential defect/little annoyance and that is totally and completely reasonable considering how much money we are paying for these devices.

17. user-name-here macrumors 65816

That's like telling Verizon or AT&T you want 100% signal perfection. Good luck with that :rolleyes:

How about if your Toyota Prius doesn't average 51mpg? (only 50mpg) ... or heaven forbid :eek: you find out after driving it off the lot the "gas pedal travel" isn't what you are used to?

How about a hospital stay? Should a customer be allowed a refund if they don't get perfection as well?

Tons of other ludicrous examples I can give. Just because Apple aren't currently being dicks about the return policy doesn't mean people should abuse it or that they won't change it in the future due to OCD types asking for perfection.