iPhone 5s Power Button Wobble/Rattle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 22mac, Oct 5, 2013.

1. 22mac macrumors member

I have just got the new iPhone 5s and everything is great however the power button is slightly loose and rattles when the phone is moved. Is this normal?

I have found threads from when the iPhone 5 was released so I assume that Apple hasn't improved its manufacturing or is it designed to move around?

2. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I am thinking it's designed this way. It is a completely new button design, but since I haven't gotten my phone yet, I can't really say for sure.

3. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I don't know whether it's just because my 4's home button packed in, but my 5S seems to have a more 'hollow' sound when it is clicked and seems to travel more than my dad's 5.

4. 22mac thread starter macrumors member

When you shake the phone lightly can you hear the button rattle? Its quite annoying on mine. Not sure what to do really as I heard most of the 5S have this issue.

5. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

6. 22mac thread starter macrumors member

No definitely the power button as if you put your finger on it lightly and shake it the rattle stops.

7. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

It's definitely the power button. I have one 5s with this and one without. Doesn't particularly bother me either way, but it is the power button.

9. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

My rattle doesn't bother me... Until I put it in my car holder on my diesel car. Then it sounds like a vibrator in the glove box

10. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

From what I read in the forums is that it's normal so no worries. Mine does it as well

11. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

If I listen very (and by very I mean like hold it up to my ear) closely, I can hear one... I dont think it is anything to stress about. Touch ID is working? Should be ok :)

On another note, has anyone else with the 5S experienced being stuck in an app, unable to close it, lock the screen or anything else and the only way to fix it is to hold the power and home button to do a reboot? Also any weird reboots happening just randomly? Mine's possessed sometimes I think :p

12. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Same here woth unable to close some apps. Happened multiple times on Evernote for me

13. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Do you think its iOS 7 or the new 64bit architecture? Maybe because the apps i found the crashing in were iOS 6, 32bit they might not work well? What do you think? Or can everything just be solved with one of those heavenly Software Updates?

14. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

My 5S power button does seem to have some play and wobble a bit when touched, however it does not rattle. I think it's just the aluminum. My 4S power button is solid but it's steel. Maybe it's the components/materials used? Either way, you have a year for that button to fail, and then just get a new phone from Apple if it does.

15. boobie12 macrumors 6502

I feel like it has to do more with a software update. Because even the music app becomes unresponsive at times causing me to close it out 2 or 3 times before being able to use it. Sometimes music is playing but no sound and this happened with my 5 on ios7 also. (Clean slate for 5s). So I'm narrowing it down to an ios7 problem. Hope the next software update comes soon.

16. tharepairguy macrumors member

All 3 of my iPhone 5s's have the rattly power button. It's soooooo annoying. I really wish there was another option out there for me but I really like the phone despite a couple flaws :(