Carrier iPhone 5S purchase from t-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Christian 5G, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

T-Mobile store near me have iPhone 5S 32 gb for sale, I am deciding whether to get a simple choice plan or a 35$ prepaid plan. My question is.. Is there any difference between this plans like coverage or internet speed? Am I going to get the same speed on prepaid as any other person but on simple choice plan?

Thank you for your responses!

2. rockitdog Suspended

Doesn't the $35 cap your speed after a certain amount of data usage? Also, I'm pretty sure that if you use it on a pre-paid plan you have to pay for the entire iPhone upfront vs on the simple choice plan, putting $200 down and making $20 payments on it monthly.

3. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Your speeds will be the exact same on T-Mobile prepaid or postpaid. There are three differences between having a Simple Choice (postpaid) or Pay In Advance (prepaid) plan:

1. Every plan on Simple Choice includes mobile hotspot, whereas prepaid does not. For example: On the $70 unlimited plan, you get up to 2.5GB of 4G LTE hotspot.
    2. You get to break up your phone purchase into installments. I purchased a 32GB for $199 and $22.91 payments for 20 months. On prepaid, you'll have to pay the $749 immediately.
    3. Roaming. There is no roaming in prepaid, but on Simple Choice you'll be able to access other networks in different parts of the country. When I visit my girlfriend's family in Wisconsin, I always go into roaming (with 4G!)…but fortunately, TMO doesn't charge for this. On prepaid, it isn't an option; you're restricted to just the native network.

To answer your question simply: no, there are no differences in speed for prepaid or postpaid.

Hope this helps.

4. Christian 5G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

It doesn't really matter to me, I'd rather pay full unlocked because it will come out less if I use prepaid rather then the simple choice " all unlimited" plan +20$ a month, with taxes it'll be around 100$ a month.

I will try the 5 gb cap and if it wont be enough monthly ill just switch to unlimited simple choice.

5. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Yes, I believe the plan he is referring to is the 5GB of 4G LTE speed, then they throttle to EDGE after that. It's a great deal if he doesn't call anyone (I think it's something like 100 minutes only).

And you're right about the phone payment.

6. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

The prepaid doesn't allow mobile hotspot
    lack of 3 way calling (not really necessary)
    doesn't track your call logs (several people have complained)
    5gb max, then you get 2G speeds (useless)

my two cents, the $70 unlimited data plan is the way to go. The only restriction on that one is 2.5gb of mobile hotspot but people have found many ways around that.