Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I don't have an upgrade available, if I walk into my apple store, will they let me buy an iPhone 5s outright without contract? I have a 5 line ATT family plan with no available upgrades.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
You may be eligible for the so-called "early upgrade discount." I was also not eligible for an upgrade yesterday, but was able to get my 5S for $200 less than the no contract price.

EDIT: go to http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s and on the right side click on Upgrade Eligibility for your pricing.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I don't have an upgrade available, if I walk into my apple store, will they let me buy an iPhone 5s outright without contract? I have a 5 line ATT family plan with no available upgrades.

Yes, and best they don't even pull up your account. Just scan phone, pay, walk out, done.

Phone is unlocked by the way, which may or may not be important to you.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I don't have any of these, all my lines are under the "12 month" window. I am just interested in walking in and buying a 5s for full price.

Do the apple stores let you do this? Or do they make you activate it in store before you walk out?

----------

Yes, and best they don't even pull up your account. Just scan phone, pay, walk out, done.

Phone is unlocked by the way, which may or may not be important to you.

Would that be $649 plus tax for the 16gb unlocked version?

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
I don't have any of these, all my lines are under the "12 month" window. I am just interested in walking in and buying a 5s for full price.

Do the apple stores let you do this? Or do they make you activate it in store before you walk out?

----------

Yes, the Apple Store will let you make the purchase without activation.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

Yes, that's what I purchased and paid yesterday.

They won't advertise it as unlocked, but once you plug into iTunes It'll say congrats your phone is unlocked.

redshadow

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
So far as I know...if you make use of an "early upgrade price" then you are also extending your contract for two years.

tundotcom

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
NYC
Ask for the device only with no activation or contract. It'll be $649 plus tax for the 16gb and it will be unlocked.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys. That's exactly what I needed to know. I do not want to extend any contracts and simply want to buy one outright. Unlocked or not doesn't matter but is definitely a plus.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I dont have att account and purchased one full price. It was not however unlocked. I had to pay for an unlock on ebay that was ready within 5 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.