iPhone 5S replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thewhitetower, Oct 27, 2013.

1. thewhitetower macrumors regular

thewhitetower

Hi all,

Just had my iP5S replaced here in Oz due to a very very noisy and clicky home button. Smurf said it shouldn't be like this and replaced....replacement is definitely an improvement but not perfect but am keeping the replacement as I don't want to enter the replacement lottery...

Upon checking my serial I notice that it's prefix is DNPLFXXXX - production week 38 @Chengdu Foxconn

I understand that for the first few weeks after a release, replacements are new iPhones and refurbs start making an appearance once the 'returned iPhone bank' reaches a certain level...

you guys reckon I have a refurb or a 'new' replacement? Any iP5S owners with a serial prefix similar to mine?

I understand that from previous iPhone models, refurbs were identified by a different serial prefix...

Not that I mind but just curious....

2. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I like the clicky home button. I've already been through a few iPhone 5s' (long story) and they've all had a noticeable click to them. Much more so than any previous iPhone that I've owned. I'd be worried if I had one that wasn't a clicker. ;)

3. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Lol take my phone. And does yours have a rattling sleep/wake button? Mine has both that and the click. Trying to get it replaced this week

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I honestly don't see the big deal about the "clicky" home button. Unless of course you have to press it with more force than usual to elicit some sort of response. Mine works, sure I hear it click - a little more obvious than my 5, but I don't think it's abnormal plus it works perfectly.

As far as refurbs, I don't think Apple is even thinking about refurbing iPhones yet. I think to streamline building of iPhones, they'll just keep building new iPhones and once they reach demand that's when they'll start refurbing the returned/damaged iPhones. At least, that's what I think.

5. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Once it's been opened, and returned. It's a reburb

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I think they could take refurbished phones also from the batch of iPhone not passing quality control, after a fix ...

BTW searching for serial number is useless IMHO, since quality it's not related to a particular batch, but is evaluated phone by phone. You can have a perfect day one and a defective after six month of production.

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Not necessarily. The returned phones have to be shipped back to an Apple factory. Apple then has to "re-certify" it and change the casing, etc and that requires extra work to make it look brand-new. You're describing an open-box item.

8. thewhitetower thread starter macrumors regular

thewhitetower

Thanks all....

What really bothered me about the home button was the noise it made....not very discrete and in a silent environment (i.e whilst partner sleeping) quite audible to the point I'd cop the death stare...the clickiness I found I could live with

The replacement's button feels smoother when pressed and not clunky...and less audible...other apple store demos also had the more smoother press.

In terms of the new V refurb question.....I understand that a returned iPhone makes it's way back to factory for it to be re-worked with new screen and shell and the innards are re-used. At that stage I believe they are given a new serial number to indicate a refurb/replacement phone.

Was just wondering whether we are now seeing the refurbs hit the Apple Stores...

Hence my curiosity as to whether anyone had an iPhone (that is not a replacement) with the prefix in my initial post.

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

You can check the info on the serial number on this website. Though, I'm not sure if it will say anything about it being refurb but who knows.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html/

10. thewhitetower thread starter macrumors regular

thewhitetower

Yeah thanks. Already checked that..that's where I got the details of the week of manufacturer and the factory.

11. gCloud macrumors 6502a

I think the are no longer given a different serial number pre-fix, but the model number of the service replacements starts with an N instead of an M. Anyway you have swapped it now and there is no way to get the original back, dont stress about it, use the phone and enjoy it without any death stares :)

12. AJAAY macrumors regular

There really is no way of telling. You have a working phone. Enjoy it.

13. thewhitetower thread starter macrumors regular

thewhitetower

Yep- definitely happy with the replacement! All's good:)