iPhone 5S running warm

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacMilligan, Sep 25, 2013.

1. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

I finally upgraded from my iPhone 4 to the 5S. I never handled an iPhone 5, so I don't know if it is normal, but the iPhone 5S feels significantly warmer when handling it than the iPhone 4. I was thinking that it may be because the iPhone 4 is glass, which has a lower thermal conductivity than aluminum.

Is this normal?

Thanks

2. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

What are you doing when it starts to feel warmer then your hand?

3. Trsmoothie macrumors member

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I think it's normal. I felt the same difference when I upgraded from 4 to 5.

5. billycuth macrumors 6502a

6. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Could also be the faster processor, could also be having it on higher brightness, could also be having a program in the background the uses the GPS, could also be...

Lots of reasons it could happen, I'd go with your first instinct (aluminum vs glass).

7. MacMilligan thread starter macrumors 6502

Surfing the web, making a call, downloading an app, etc.

Thanks. I suspected it was the material difference.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Some of that may also just be the heat from your hand transferring to the aluminum. I've found that my phone does warm up just by my holding it, as opposed to letting it sit on a desk or counter.

Even so, the phone does generate its own heat. Even when sleeping, my phone is about 5 degrees hotter than the room air temperature (non-contact thermometers are fun).

9. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Dowloading via wifi makes my phone hot. Otherwise it's not any different.

10. seble macrumors 6502a

I commented on another thread about this too, as I also moved from a 4. Which never ever really seemed to get that hot apart from when charging and tethering.

When I first go the phone, it was syncing, charging, spotlight indexing etc and i think that made it incredibly hot, it hasn't been that hot since, but it doe seem to get hot quite quickly depending on what you do with it.

11. redmac macrumors regular

This!

When I got mine last Friday, it felt really hot for the whole day. I was worried at first because of the overheating and the quickly draining battery. But never experienced those issues after the first day. I am pretty sure it was due to the downloading of all my apps and other stuff from Apple's servers.

12. MacMilligan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. It seems to be running cooler after restoring, syncing, downloading apps, and such. The warm aluminum is probably a good thing, let that heat out :)

13. thematt macrumors member

thematt

my phone got hot when i was restoring it from my iPhone back up yesterday. but other than that seems very normal !

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

The only time mine as felt too warm was during the restore/backup process when I first got it.

It's been fine ever since.

15. nbuubu macrumors regular

My new 5S was significantly warmer than my 4S when I set it up yesterday.

Actually so hot it was uncomfortable to hold.

But that was when it was redownloading all of my apps from iCloud, a fairly massive restore.

Once it finished, everyday use for the past day has been not warm or hot at all.

16. MacMilligan thread starter macrumors 6502

I noticed it also gets rather hot when cruising around Maps with 3D on. I'm sure that is to be expected though.

17. seble macrumors 6502a

Yep I noticed this too, but having not used 3D maps before have no idea how devices deal with it. In all honesty I don't think the 5S is quite so 'optimised' for iOS7 just yet.

18. aka777 macrumors 6502a

'warmgate'

Handset got a little hot during the restore but has been fine since.

19. Caliact macrumors newbie

Mine has been running warm since day 1. It's never been too hot to hold, but it's always noticeable and it doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing with it. At first I thought this might be normal moving to the aluminum casing, but I tried using my friends 5 and there's a clear difference.

I'm taking it in to the Apple store tomorrow and we'll see what they say, seems like they should have some diagnostic software that could detect this sort of thing.